Wanted suggestion of choosing cc3d as flying controller

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Arunesh Dutta, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Arunesh Dutta

Arunesh Dutta New Member

Hello

I am beginning to develop quadcopter,and interested to use cc3d as it's cheap.Please suggest on the use any cons to consider,any better alternatives.Also plz guide if any good guide to build the quad with minimal features

2. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Don't get a cc3d, just pick up the cheapest F3 you can find probably a SPF3 clone.
    None of them old boards are supported anymore. & they notoriously break very easy. Vendors still selling them & naze32 for same price as an F3. They have no blheli passthrough, & can't use the USB if there is something on uart1.
    Dont be stingy where you hinder yourself. Some things are worth paying for even if it's a cheap build. EBay UK
    Seriously Pro Racing F3 £14
    Or a betaflight F4 osd, £17.
    Iwent through 7 naze32 in my first year.
    I been using the same spf3's for 2 years.
    Multiple crashes & frames & still going, although I am phasing them out with omnibus F4. Any future builds I'll ask the customer do they want a cheap board or a spanking new one. So they won't go to waste. But believe me do yoself a favor stay away from naze & cc3d unless it's an upgraded version. Even more so if you intend to fly acro.

3. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

And most importantly, no DShot capabilities unless you're running at least an F3 board. Plus double the clock speed, ability to run 8K/8K.........

mozquito1 likes this.
  4. mozquito1

You would also need to flash the esc's with the latest firmware before the build as no passthrough option. Which will require an ftdi chip or an Arduino nano to program them.

So if you come back in a few weeks with a problem with a crappy cc3d, & you get the responseo_O "I told you so".
    well I told you so.

Calling it crappy is harsh, it was the bizz one day & it was the best(probably)
    Everyone was flying them. I'm just trying to save you cash, well I'm not really.
    Im saying spend a few bucks more for a far more reliable product with hardware added, that you won't need to buy.
    Namely the ftdi or Nano.

5. Arunesh Dutta

Arunesh Dutta New Member

Thanks I'll go with SP f3 for my basic design.Was thinking to use with 450 mm frame is it fine?any suggestion

6. mozquito1

Can I ask what the intention is.
    Media photography acro/freestyle.
    Racing

Photography, frame size is OK if your looking at somthing like a flamewheel.

Acro yeah why not, big dirty 8inch props.

Racing, hard to find ppl racing in this class, ppl do but I don't know anyone.

Ppl will say different on motors, my 2p is 2306 2408 1200kv or around this.

Atleast 3-4S lipo

30amp esc's

Matek pdb £5

What Tx have you got or intend to get.

7. Arunesh Dutta

Arunesh Dutta New Member

I am interested in photo/videography

8. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

Well I'm sure the good folks here have bedazzled you so far. You can go old school and build a good flying, photo/videography quad with a minimum of fuss and knowledge and no need for a computer either.

What's your budget?

Here's a good start, for a well liked older version action cam that also has stabilization and very nice video.
    https://www.gearbest.com/action-cameras/pp_365568.html?utm_source=commissionfactory

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  9. Arunesh Dutta

Arunesh Dutta New Member

Initially I am thinking of using this setup, plz suggest if any other or any guide to follow..thx

• quadcopter frame 450mm
    • Brushless motor (4)
    • ESC 30A (4)
    • sp f3 controller
    • 10x4.5 inch propeller (4)
    • 11.1v lipo battery
    • balance charger for lipo battery
    • fs-i6 transmitter and receiver

10. Spork

Spork There is no spoon

There are hundreds of build guides on youtube and elsewhere on the internet. If you haven't watched any yet, I would avoid the ones that go through the entire process in 20-30 minutes - I feel like they go too fast for beginners. I've posted several build video links elsewhere on this site, but they are more oriented towards people building smaller quads, usually of the FPV variety. I have not watched the one I'll post below, but it's next on my viewing list and is oriented towards building a quad oriented for videography. It's in 3 parts, Part Selection, Building the Quad, and Building the Camera Platform (gimbal, etc). When you watch the series-oriented build videos, you will learn a lot about the "why" instead of just "following the leader", enabling you to make better decisions on what parts to use and better understand how to "debug" problems that may arise during your build.

Jackson and mozquito1 like this.
  11. mozquito1

For what purpose? The same, photography.
    Think you will be looking at a 4000mah max lipo capacity for around 15-20min if you don't go crazy.

There is other ppl more suited to the quad you want on this forum. I'm an acro flyer so I know your list will work collectively if you put them together. But are they best suited for the purpose. It may be worth taking a look a the ecalc where you can work your setup out before buy it.
    Amps, thrust & weight to optimise flying time. Just choose the frame wisely & plan ahead. You say a basic setup will you be adding any components in the future.
    Make sure parts are easily available e.g gimbals, spare arm, landing gear.

You could probably go as low as 900kv
    For a camera platform.

Spork likes this.