suggestions for first radio ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by miky94, Jan 8, 2019.

1. miky94

miky94 Active Member

I'm looking for my first radio for my homebuilt with MultiWii FC.
    I'd like to spend the minimum but not throw away the money for a basic reliable radio.
    I'm undecided between these two:
    - https://hobbyking.com/it_it/hobby-king-2-4ghz-4ch-tx-rx-v2-mode-2.html
    - https://hobbyking.com/it_it/turnigy-t6a-v2-afhds-2-4ghz-6ch-transmitter-w-receiver-v2-mode-2.html
    but I'm oriented to take the 6Ch one.
    who knows them? differences? are them compatible with all FC s?
    now I have a MultiWii SE 2.5 FC but I could upgrade soon to e.g. a naze32.
    what could be the range of these radios?
    Thanks

2. wafflejock

wafflejock Well-Known Member

Your radio receiver that goes on the quad and the transmitter/controller you hold in your hand need to be a pair basically (they need to communicate with the same wireless protocol typically this means just buying them together or buying say Frsky receiver with Frsky transmitter or Spektrum receiver with Spektrum transmitter. The receiver on the quad gets plugged into the FC and communicates with the FC on a wired protocol. For the most part all these things are mix and match in terms of different FCs supporting various receivers. Since you are getting into the hobby you should start with a "F4" based board I've had luck with the "omnibus f4" from racedayquads or getfpv.com, wherever you get your FC from just make sure they have decent documentation/guides to show you how to hook up or youtube search for it before you buy so you can hear about any downsides before you purchase and know how to connect the thing once you get it.

Regarding transmitters I'm in the spektrum camp but I'd suggest people new to the hobby go with the QX7 from Taranis/FrSky instead. Keep in mind your transmitter and goggles (if you buy) are something you purchase once and use for any/all of your quads/flying/RC things in the future.

3. LoneRCRanger

LoneRCRanger Well-Known Member

Marconi invented the first radio, but I don't think it will be much use for you unless you use Morse Code...

4. miky94

miky94 Active Member

I'd rather something cheaper, what about the two linked? the receivers are included and seem to fit the FC, but there isn't a compatible table

5. wafflejock

Don't have any experience with either of those and they aren't well known brands but that doesn't mean they won't work well. The main issue I see with both of those is it looks like they only pair to a single receiver and you can select which model or save different receiver bindings if you have more than one quad so once you decide to get anything else you'll need to get another transmitter/receiver or will need to rebind the transmitter to the receiver you want it to control each time you switch which isn't awesome. Turnigy primarily makes batteries and motors (they do a pretty good job with that in my experience with them), Hobby-King is just the retailer, but they clone products and make cheaper alternatives like this, but it isn't really their primary business they primarily resell other manufacturers products so just not sure how much I'd trust it vs "the real thing."

Another brand I have seen some anecdotal testing of and is a bit cheaper than FrSky or Spektrum is "FlySky":
    https://www.banggood.com/Flysky-FS-...tml?rmmds=buy&ID=42482530817&cur_warehouse=CN

6. miky94

miky94 Active Member

I know that probably these transmitters have limits in pairing with other receivers, modes, programming etc. anyway Turnigy should be a reliable brand and for the moment I don't think I'll buy more than one drone, if the receiver is compatible most common FCs is enough for me. what about a plausible range?

7. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

8. miky94

miky94 Active Member

9. wafflejock

Sure purchasing decision is yours ultimately just trying to give you the information to make your choice and let you know which one I would choose but budgets etc. vary so not a one size fits all solution. For range as you can see in the vid I linked this is a common question and even "experts" can't give you a clear answer because the real answer is "it depends", it depends on interference from other radio sources, it depends on the things between you and the quadcopter it depends on the interference and electrical noise around the receiver, it depends on the angle of the transmitting antenna relative to the receiving.... so yah it depends... you'll just have to try and see what works for your scenario... this is part of the reason people go with "known good" brands, plus you don't want to lose $300+ worth of hardware because of going cheaper on a transmitter that will never break.

10. holtneil

holtneil Well-Known Member Moderator

11. miky94

miky94 Active Member

yes I know that depends, just wanted to know an average in normal conditions, to get an idea.
    the last I linked, is on sale and on the internet I've seen good reviewes, do you know it?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  12. wafflejock

Haven't used it myself but reviews say works for few hundred feet not quarter mile or mile like other name brands, plus side is price and they are more likely to make big changes in the software/firmware which could be good or bad depending on how you look at it.

---

Personally I use a Spektrum DX6i, I haven't had any major issues with it but the QX7 is a nicer transmitter for less money and I have a friend I suggested buy one so I've actually had hands on with it and can tell you it is worth the $110 or so they are asking if you can wait and save it up. I know you're just getting your first quadcopter, but chances are once you dive into this you'll probably want to build more than one quad (indoor/outdoor, fast/acro vs long range etc. etc.) and you'll want all the receivers to be the same brand so you can re-use your transmitter between models. If I was in your position I'd either go with the "flysky" one since it's budget but is also known to be pretty good or go with QX7, if both are way out of range in terms of budget then go with what you found but I just wouldn't suggest it (you'd likely be more sad to dump your quad into a lake or tree because of radio link going out than sad to wait till you have the cash saved up for something more reliable).

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  13. miky94

miky94 Active Member

for sure thinking about future FlySky is a better choice, but this costs me the half and I don't think I'll ever need more than this

wafflejock likes this.
  14. holtneil

holtneil Well-Known Member Moderator

Looking forward in this hobby RC Helicopters now have bailout recovery it won't be long before quads have this as well , so yes go for min of 6 channels , look on e bay for a well looked after transmitter you may get a better bigger brand transmitter , I would not go for a game pad style transmitter also the cheaper transmitter gimbals are not as good as the bigger brands ( buy cheap buy twice )

15. Jeff Neese

Jeff Neese Well-Known Member

If you can spend a bit more, the Jumper T8SG V2 might be a good choice. It's multiprotocol so you're not locked into a particular protocol, or having to buy an add-in module down the road if you want to fly something different. It stores configuration for up to 30 different models.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/t8sg-v2-m2.html

ArmyVet, wafflejock and holtneil like this.
  16. ArmyVet

ArmyVet Well-Known Member

That is a pretty cool radio for $89! And it comes in Mellow Yellow!

17. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Stay away from anything naze.
    Believe me, don't waste your money.
    For literally a few dollars or quid more get an F4 omnibus. Race flight. Kiss,lumenier.
    Naze are brittle & break easy. I got an old SPRF3 that's been working fine for 3 years now. Atleast get one of those.

18. miky94

miky94 Active Member

Do you mean this ?
    https://it.aliexpress.com/item/F4-P...aflight-Low-Noise-Stable-for/32891137083.html
    can you explain me why with pros and cons compared to similar?
    for the radio I ended up buyig a Turnigy Evolution W/TGY-IA6C receiver included, how can I connect it to my MultiWii FC and how?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019 at 3:59 PM
  19. wafflejock

Different flight controllers (FCs for short on the forum here), have different processors and different accelerometers among other hardware that is options like a barometer or input for a GPS module or other kinds of features. Really though bells and whistles aside you want something that can read the sensor data and respond to both sensor data and your input in a very fast loop so as to avoid latency and to have the thing fly stable without wobbling around. Any "F4" based FC is using a ST microelectronics (manufacturer) ARM (architecture) processor with a good enough clock speed to allow you to set the quad to read and write data at an adequate speed (can do about 4-8000 samples a second then filter those samples then adjust the control signals). The ESC and motor are physically limited from changing speed as quickly as the sensor data comes in but you don't want to be CPU bound because you decided to enable osd or some other features or use a higher refresh rate. Also in general naze are just old hardware and not worth the hassle to save a $10 (not same huge price range of transmitters though so not to worry)

20. miky94

miky94 Active Member

yes luckily FCs are cheap, I started with a MultiWii because I saw it used in projects similar to mine, probably a bit old in fact I'm thinking of upgrading it but since shipping times are endless in the meantime I'd like to try the receiver on the MultiWii if possible, but I'm not sure how.
    the FC you are talking about is this? https://it.aliexpress.com/item/F4-P...aflight-Low-Noise-Stable-for/32891137083.html (I can't edit the previous post link)