STORM Drone 6 GPS Flying Platform

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by harena, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Sky Kite

Sky Kite Member

I'm guessing that Jacky meant 'this will halve the charging time'...

2. charley whiskey

charley whiskey New Member

Yes I'm also thinking that was what it means.
    So I will ask re plugging the gimbal into Naza or leaving it where it is in the Devo and let you know.

3. ollix

ollix New Member

i got my storm drone 6 gps for my B-day and i have flied with it over 6 times at still it seems to hard

My problems:
    1.gps is turned on and it subbost to hold position but it still little bit falls to back and slowly goes lower.
    2.it is so sensetiv

4. charley whiskey

charley whiskey New Member

Ollix, before you fly at a new site you must completely calibrate the gps, have you done that ? also you do not say which gps module you are using. Go to the Helipal website or just youtube the calibration process and try that.I have the Naza M V2 module and after many many times not having it calibrated properly I had to send the drone, and transmitter back to Helipal for them to sort out. I hope you solve your issues with a simple calibration like it is supposed to.

5. Pete A.

Pete A. New Member

Hi everyone, enjoy reading all the posts about the storm 6 gps.... yes I have one, I have had it for 1 year, and I love it.... and yes I was looking at the phantom a year ago... decided on the storm 6 and never had a regret. It is super stabile, and just a wonderful thing of beauty to see it just hovering so still and solid. I do wish though it had more flight time on a battery, fully loaded, i'm getting 7-8 minutes on a 5500 mah lipo ( I have had great luck with the Storm 5500 35C lipo's they are yellow from Helipal.
    A few bits of wisdom to pass along, not particularly about the storm 6, just flying in general, I realized early on, that getting this would become a crash-course in r/c model aviation. Lipo batteries are a breed apart from any other rechargeable batteries you may have used before getting into this hobby, I would encourage everyone to do a little reading about Lipo batteries, and educate yourself a bit, you will be glad you did, it isn't super difficult to know the do's and dont's of proper lipo usage. Here is one blog that I read early on that was very helpful, and it even suggests further reading and points you in the right direction to learn more.

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html

Be good to you batteries .... and they will be good to you. with my first order of the storm 6 I also purchased a little more upgrade of a charger, and i'm really glad that I did... the charger that comes with the storm 6, I think it's a SkyRC E3 A good little entry level charger will charge and balance and do an ok job, the other charger I got was the SkyRC 6 X 80 80 watt, (not Bluetooth) I feel it not only does a better job of charging, and letting you see what's going on with your battery, but also it's very versatile in the charge rate you want to set, and especially helpful to me is the readout which tells you how many mah's it has replaced on each battery . As you will read, it's best not to use more than 80% of the battery's capacity at any time, and knowing how much capacity was replaced, will let you know if you are flying your battery too long or maybe you could go a tad longer. Also helped to set the warning levels in the NAZA assistant software.

I have the Storm 6 gps version 1.0 with the slightly smaller rotors. A few of you were speaking of "auto landing " function... and i'm not sure if that is a mode on another module besides the Naza M-lite. What that sounded like to me was the 2nd level of protection in the naza lite system. Incase someone doesn't know about it yet, the Naza M-lite gives you 2 levels of protection to keep your bird from falling out of the sky, the first level, is the flashing red LED indicator light, (V-sen). With the way I have mine set up, as soon as I see the quick flashing red LED, I land ASAP, and that is just a bit under 80% of the battery at that point, the second level, if you ignore the first level too long, is that the mid-point of the throttle moves up, and the bird starts coming down... when it goes into this mode it's best to catch it by hand before it hits the ground unless you are less than a foot off the ground, then you will still hit kinda hard but should be ok, I've found with the way I have mine set, once it's reached this voltage where it goes into the forced landing mode of the 2nd protection level, you've used more than 80% and that's not good on your battery. I don't know the voltages I have set in mine but they aren't far from the settings that came from helipal, i'll take a look and post my voltages if anyone is interested. I have ruined severl batteries by doing just what I have described, waiting too long and letting the forced landing take effect. I have some nice 5500 mah lipos that I used too long and they had a short life unfortunately, they don't last more than a minute in the air now... so lesson learned....

Also I was a bit despondent with the set up situation, I really felt they were way out of line calling this a "ready-to-fly" machine...but, it's a one-time deal, you put it together, (use some blue threadlocker on each screw) and then it's done, takes a few hours or so, I went at a leisurely pace, one tip for everyone, if you order additional items especially, they do one heck of a job fitting everything into one box, but it can be like a little easter egg hunt, as you unpack the box, be sure to look in every little nook , cranny and empty space in all of the packaging, they used every cubic inch of space. if you're missing something, look through everything again...
    well that's enough to get you going guys... i'm not expert at the RC hobby, by any means, my only "expertise" would be one year of working with the storm 6 hexacopter, it's really a cool machine, and again, I've never had any regrets . it's a blast to fly, and it's been a learning experience, for sure!
    Pete Adin
    Missouri, USA

P.S. the SkyRC E3 charger that came included with the Storm 6, I should tell you.... it pooped out very early on... so another reason I was glad to have the 10 x 80 . I now have a SkyRC E6 charger, as the back up to the 10 x 80 . It does a good job balancing, and has a 5 watt charge rate setting as well.

6. Conefester

Conefester New Member

Hi David, I'm have a problem with my Storm 6 that I hope you can point me into the right direction. When I try to switch between home lock and course lock, all that happens is the left right become opposite. Like reversing an aleron servo from left to right. Hope I explained my problem right..:[
    Thanks, Craig

7. Conefester

Conefester New Member

New
    Hi David, I'm have a problem with my Storm 6 that I hope you can point me into the right direction. When I try to switch between home lock and course lock, all that happens is the left right become opposite. Like reversing an aleron servo from left to right. Hope I explained my problem right..:[
    Thanks, Craig

8. OB Helo

OB Helo New Member

OK - I've had the Storm Drone 6 for six months. UPgraded to the V2 Naza and have found this to be an extremely stable platform. As an upgrade I"ve installed the camera extender putting the camera platform paralel to the end of the horizontal skids. And placed x2 Lipo 2500's on the other end so as to balance the platform. Purchased the Walkera G-2D and plugged the pitch in the F2 port. Once power is applied Gimbal levels but no tilt control. HAve read this thread through and through (great BTW) with hooking up the controller to the Naza software and calibrated the X2 and changed the gain to ZERO /REV and to no avail. Asked Helipal for input and only received this in reply;
    Dear Friend,

May I ask you to follow the standard steps we connect the G2D Gimbal and see whether it may help? Many Thanks.

Tips for the gimbal
    1. Must put GoPro 3 in the gimbal before start up. Gimbal is very weight sensitive, it requires very well weight distribution.
    2. Make sure NO cable tangling the gimbal.
    3. Hand held the gimbal as level as possible when starting up, that helps the gimbal to work better.

To control Tilt angle on the gimbal
    1. This is quite complicated to make the tilt angle work on a phantom. First make sure you are able to connect Phantom to the Computer and use with NAZA software. If you can handle this part, please read on.
    2. Open the Phantom body, and plug the Tilt cable into F2 port on the NAZA module, white wire downward, black wire upward.
    3. Then connect Phantom to computer and open NAZA software, activate the Gimbal function, and set eh F2 gain to Zero.
    4. That's all the setup you need to do, now you should be able to tilt the gimbal angle with the tiny lever on the back of your Phantom's transmitter, if you do not have this tiny white lever, you need to purchase it.

Knowing the Naza V2 is being used I'm a little put out that this is the limited support I can get and using this as a school project for students to build and understand electronics and physics of flying (retired rotor pilot).

Am I missing anything?

Thanks much,

9. Nate H

Nate H Active Member

Check this out, there seem to be some particular steps unique to this gimbal: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2162942

10. OB Helo

OB Helo New Member

11. kcobello

kcobello New Member

12. Pete A.

Pete A. New Member

nice looking video! It looks like you have some flying experience already. One question, and I think one thing to think about is, where was your heli when you powered it up and let it record it's home position? I try to remember to power mine up in a nice open area, just incase it does go into failsafe mode and wants to return to home, of course, you can launch it from anywhere after the home position is recorded. Mine went it failsafe mode once, and I still remember the helpless feeling watching it slowly descent to land so very excruciatingly close to my house and the tree in my front yard.... <GASP> I grabbed it when it was within reach and gently placed it on the ground. Since then I've been more careful where I let it record it's "home" position. It looks like you're doing great! Congrats.
    Pete

13. Nate H

Nate H Active Member

I've been flying the SD6 quite regularly now, and have been making a bunch of custom upgrades and modifications. I've gone to the DYS 3-axis gimbal with a second receiver so a second operator can control the gimbal, placed brighter LEDs on the ends of the arms, upgraded to a Futaba Tx, and am in the process of making custom retracts for the landing gear. One thing that still bothers me, however, is the power distribution "squid" harness.

I built a F450 a couple months ago and one thing I really like about it is the integrated power distribution board. Can anyone tell me if the official DJI F550 bottom plate with the integrated power board is the same size as the SD6 bottom plate? I would assume so, but wanted to see if anyone had experience with the screws lining up. I think I can tidy up the guts to see what I'm doing a little better and cut a little bit of weight in the process.

EDIT: I bought a full F550 frame kit from the local shop and indeed it is quite a bit larger than the SD6. Arms should work fine but I'll need to replace both the top and bottom plates when doing the modifications.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  14. cunmaryesther

cunmaryesther New Member

Paul Drone - Was curious if you have finished your mrc build and if you would share parts list, suppliers, instructions or any info. Would also love to see video if you have. Thank you.

16. Guys I just received my Storm drone 6 package yesterday and I have to agree the lack of instruction for all these parts and electronic connections is unbelievable.
    Right now I'm just trying to find out how to attach the landing gear so if either of you has some idea of where the skids get mounted please let me know.
    Looking at the gimbal and transmitter assembly - that's going to require further study and follow up on this forum.
    Right now after reading all these posts I'm just going to test it out with the GPS and the landing skids, if I can ever figure out how to attach them.

17. Nate H

Nate H Active Member

Skids attach underneath the left and right arms. The little grooves on the leg attachments hook onto the edge of the bottom plate and then you drop a screw down through the hole in the bottom plate and screw it into the silver threaded hole on the landing skid assembly. Note that you can only use one of the silver threaded holes to attach the gear, the "inside" one as shown in the photo. It's not an easy task as they don't exactly fit. I drilled out the holes in the bottom plate a bit to make it an easier fit. Hope that helps a bit.

Attached Files:

18. thank you I finally found a way to thread it down through hole, held it and rotated the silver threads on to it, then I locked the grooves in place on the outer edge, and finally tightened it down through the top.
    now on to the compass calibration and start up.. wish me luck.
    I'm not even going to attempt to put the camera and gimbal on just yet

19. Nate H

Nate H Active Member

So, this is kinda controversial and definitely an "at your own risk" sort of thing, but I can confirm it works on the NAZA M Lite:

http://naza-upgrade.com

20. Does anyone know how to interpret the blinking light code on the naza v2 ? The manual is not that clear. I have a series of reoccurring red blinking lights 2 then 3 which occur after the rapid flashing green. I can't get a solid yellow for calibration. Any ideas.