FlySky FS-i6 wont work after CleanFlight firmware update

Discussion in 'Parts & Components' started by BL Swagger, Dec 7, 2017 at 3:25 AM.

1. BL Swagger

BL Swagger Member

I had quite the ordeal figuring out how to update the firmware of my SPF3 FC . Turns out the issue was a faulty mini USB cable the whole time.

Before updating the firmware, my quad would arm and run just fine. I needed to calibrate everything using CleanFlight, which resulted in updating the firmware.

I'm using CleanFlight 2.1.0

I flashed firmware to the F3 flight controller, and after that, the FlySky doesn't seem to work anymore. I bind the transmitter and receiver again. I can confirm with "RX" symbol in the corner of my transmitter display.

When I try to arm the quad, nothing... when I try to read values under the "receiver" tab on CleanFlight, I get nothing... and yes, I have the battery plugged in.

It seems the transmitter is not binding with the receiver correctly since I'm reading no values on Cleanflight.. but then again, I can see the RX on my transmitter display.

Regretfully, I did not save the state that the FC was in before flashing new firmware.

Any clues of where I could have gone wrong? And how to fix this?

2. BL Swagger

BL Swagger Member

Update: Not sure if I fixed the issue. I thought the FS-i6 would use a PPM receiver mode. I was not getting a response from that. I changed it to PWM (one-wire per channel) and now it will arm and give me readings on Betaflight. (correction from before, I am using betaflight).

However, only 3 of my motors activate when I increase the throttle stick. Takes a lot for the 4th motor to spin. Obviously, this is not working correctly but its progress.

3. mozquito1

mozquito1 Summer's over, where's my thumbless gloves

Very same happened to me about a year ago. The port for motor 4 was kuput.
    Had to throw it away. A knock can do that to boards especially naze32.
    You should try a full reset of the board on the first tab, setup. You would be surprised what a reset can do.
    Just start the setup again. Don't reload your old settings.

4. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

Which RX are you using?

5. mozquito1

We know it comes with ia6b which is ppm/ibus. Reflow the solder joints to make sure. Is ppm on in Tx menu & have you setup arm & mode switches.
    I use ibus on uart3 if I had a busted USB I would have to use an ftdi chip on uart 2.
    Then turn both on in the ports tab.

6. Jackson

No we don't. Many often get the package that comes with the FS-ia6. I did.
    [​IMG]
    Which is PWM only.

BL Swagger likes this.
  7. BL Swagger

BL Swagger Member

Yes, I received this FS-IA6 receiver. And the PWM is the correct mode. I know that now. But I am having issues getting all the motors on the same track, and sometimes arming the quad is not working. I am trying out new firmware at this point. If the quad does arm, then the motors don't respond in unison.

My main point is that it worked well before flashing new FC firmware. It was a brand new quad I just built and I needed to flash new FC firmware in order to utilize Cleanflight or Betaflight so I could calibrate for a smoother flight. Now it seems I messed up something with my transmitter/receiver....

I cant wrap my head around why the quad doesn't do something like arm, when the transmitter clearly shows it is bound with the quad due to the RX in the corner display. And also, the quad responds perfectly to master control on Cleanflight.

Ill keep double checking my configuration settings. But does anyone know of a SPF3 FC firmware version that they know works and is reliable?

8. Badfish

Badfish JA.O.A.T.

I don't see any mention of ESC calibration. That has fixed my motor timing issues.

BL Swagger likes this.
  9. Jackson

You could try ESC calibration like this.

BL Swagger likes this.
  10. BL Swagger

BL Swagger Member

Ahhhhh... very true. I assumed because it worked well on initial set up that I wouldn't have to do that. That could explain the weird response I was getting before. I'll start over, and remember the ESC this time.

11. BL Swagger

BL Swagger Member

After ESC calibration, the quad seems to be working great. Thanks guys!

Now on to the VTX

Badfish likes this.
  12. Badfish

Badfish JA.O.A.T.

Haha! The blind squirrel finds a nut.
    Glad it wasn't an Rx issue. I am waiting for one like yours to show up soon.

13. mozquito1

My bad, I can't remember the last time I used one of those. I did get one with my Tx but I quickly got the ia6b. & ia6c.
    I tried to de-pin it to streamline it to compensate for its size. & direct solder. But i must have fried somthing. That was the last I seen but you can buy em with ia6b and ia6c.. When I build a quad for a random I agree they buy there Tx preferably with an rx ibus or sbus capability, & I source the other parts.
    I'm assuming as these ppl give me an ia6b rx, there may be an option. No one has moaned about a wasted rx. I did see an fsi6 & ia6c posted as brand new on eBay about springtime.

14. Badfish

Badfish JA.O.A.T.

sonovabitch! this thing is already giving me hell