Flight Log: Tell Us Bout Your Flights

Discussion in 'Flying' started by sailorsam, Oct 14, 2015.

1. sailorsam

sailorsam Well-Known Member

Glo, I might could get my unit up that high, but I seriously doubt I'd ever see it again!
    great pix

flew the UDI again. darn camera seems to be at a worse angle now than ever. Fiddled with re-wiring, maybe try again tonight. pretty morning though.
    121215 (7)m.png 121215 (13)m.png

Gramps likes this.
  2. Glo

Glo Well-Known Member

Even with the angle still great pics. I love how still the water is!

Yeah I love high flying lol.

Quick off subject question about your U807.. I just got one and it makes a noise I don't like when flying. Sounds to me like a loose gear rattling or something. Is that just how these sound normally, or do you think I have a problem? So far I can't find anything wrong with it. It performs well.

3. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

There seems to have been a few changes from the original, I think this is newest revision. How's the sound compare?

4. Gramps

Gramps Well-Known Member

It appears to do really tight flips. I was amazed at how little altitude it lost.

5. Glo

Glo Well-Known Member

Yes it is similar sounding. Hard to tell over video, but mine sounds a little worse

6. sailorsam

mine rattles from the loose camera I think.
    late afternoon pix. camera angle is better but had wobble / tilt issues
    these are two of the clearer sharper ones.
    still got a little speck of dust on that lens!

1212pm (11)m.png 1212pm (37)m.png

7. sailorsam

chilly and cloudy but nice and still so more photo ops. still have that speck on the lens, thought I took care of that.
    the unit can handle altitude okay, and lateral moves okay, but when I try to do one or the other whilst simultaneously rotating, it gets all wobbly and sometimes slices.
    122015 (3)m.jpg 122015 (26)m.png 122015 (23)m.png

8. Jackson

You know you can tweak your pics a bit. This was just a quickie in Paint.NET a free app.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. GJH105775

GJH105775 Avid Linux User, and U.S. Air Force 1C6x1 Moderator

With the clone tool you can get rid of the bit of water on the lens, all of the other editing was just me messing around with color curves and value.

upload_2015-12-20_20-36-3.png

10. sailorsam

thanks! will look into

11. Michael Fenimore

Michael Fenimore Well-Known Member

Nice thread!
    I'm still in the "crash and learn" stages, but I think I'm getting better.
    Took my X5C-1 and Sky Viper 950HD to the field behind my house this morning.
    Very little wind, maybe 2mph gusts. A little overcast, but temps WAY above normal for this area.
    I only downed both units maybe 2 times each.
    Did the 2nfroes, a couple of flips, funnels, yaw turns, pitch and recovers (this is where I crashed lol).
    I want temps like this all day every day and at least 20 hours of sunlight. Never enough time during usual business hours.
    I'm not really too interested in photos or videos just yet. I want to "master" the craft before that.

The more I fly them the muscle memory and orientation (in my head) is finally dialing in.
    Now the major question is; What quad do I get next? LOL
    Yeah ... I'm addicted.

Jackson likes this.
  12. sailorsam

keep us posted Michael. I love my Syma, great starter unit. as you say, the more you fly, the more you get a feel for.
    flew my UDI the other day, it was all over the place. not sure if unit is off balance or what.
    purchased a (totally unnecessary) World Tech Stryker with my Christmas money. (for sale at local hardware store $49.95) Syma clone (better lights / glows in the dark). flew much better than the UDI.
    thinking about upgrading, hopefully post-holiday sales soon. I think I'm at the point where I won't lose any more in the trees (I hope).

I discovered that my new puter with Windows 10 has a program that allows rotating pix. kewl.
    122015 (13)m1.jpg
    122015 (13).jpg

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    Jackson and Michael Fenimore like this.
  13. Jackson

Michael Fenimore likes this.
  14. Michael Fenimore

I was looking at one of these the other day.
    But Gearbest and my bank don't get along. PayPal is not an option for me. Long story.
    So I settled on this from LighTake for less than $20.00.

Had the Syma out today. Kinda hazy with little wind. Upgraded battery to 600mAh and got an 11 minute flight.
    Again, no camera or prop guards. Maybe I'll strap the camera back on now that I'm getting a better feel for keeping it in the air.

Jackson likes this.
  15. philisweatly

philisweatly Well-Known Member

Took my new XMJ X101 out to the park. Cold morning for me here at about 32 Fahrenheit. No wind and sun shining. Got her up to I would guess about 200 feet. Just keeping a hover and moving left and right. First time taking her up that high and boy what a rush! That thing has a very quick throttle and I'm up to that height very fast. Brought her down to about 25 feet and just cruised around the field. Been trying to focus on getting the core piloting skills down as I am still new. My one concern is that I immediately felt comfortable with mode 4 on my transmitter. From what I have been reading I should really start using mode 2 as it is far more common on higher end quads and such. Thoughts on that?

sailorsam likes this.
  16. Jackson

It makes no difference what is more popular, but there is something inherently weird about mode 2. I found it not 'natural', some have called it an out of phase motion. But eventually I got the hang of it, That said the main problem is many reasonably priced radios (like mine) do not come in Mode 4.

17. philisweatly

philisweatly Well-Known Member

Yea I tried mode 2 this morning and my quad got to know the bushes around my front lawn very well, haha. It seems silly to not have all 4 options on damn near every transmitter unless that is more difficult to incorporate than I assume. With future DIY projects will I have to just find a transmitter that will allow mode 4?

18. Jackson

Now that I think about it in OpenPilot transmitter setup you can choose Mode 4, seeing as you are switching positions for Roll and Rudder maybe it will work with a Mode 2 radio.

19. Michael Fenimore

Took the plunge and did a range mod on my Syma X5C-1 xmitter and took it for a test flight.
    Great range. Now all I have to do is learn translational flight at a 1000 feet LOL
    Lost it cuz I couldn't determine orientation.
    Also kinda modded the battery bay to accept a nano-tech 950mAh battery. Doing this allowed me to see the stress cracks in the body.
    Good thing I have a complete crash kit at hand. :)
    Here's that flight;

It's good for a laugh at least. :rolleyes:

20. Jackson

Well those batteries may be a touch heavy @24 grams . Some weights.

[​IMG]
    Definitely stressing them motors a bit.

Sure is nice how right out your door you got all that room, I'm jealous. Here's out my door and my flight field. Lucky I even got that. :)

[​IMG]
    Good vid BTW.

Michael Fenimore likes this.