Flight Log: Tell Us Bout Your Flights

Discussion in 'Flying' started by sailorsam, Oct 14, 2015.

1. sailorsam

sailorsam Well-Known Member

111515 01 (2)mm.jpg Photo ops this morning wi the UDI. Perfect weather, clear, sunny, no wind (at first). I think I set an altitude record, that thing zoomed up and up. Got some pix but the camera is still pointing down; I need some of those long screws I guess. I disassembled and reassembled but didn't seem to make much difference.
    third flight the breeze began so I changed orientation and flew close to the trees.
    I paid extra for headless mode and it's totally worth it. I got to the point where I couldn't tell front/back but it didn't matter, ha ha. 111515 01 (7)m.png

Thomas in Niagara likes this.
  2. sailorsam

more pix from this morning's flight
    111515 01 (29)m.jpg 111515 01 (34)m.jpg 111515 01 (57)m.jpg

RGJameson likes this.
  3. sailorsam

Night ops wi the NiHui. Great night, clear, sunset wi a crescent moon, hardly any wind. Still elevator problems. I worked on anticipating that with some success.
    tried to take a pic with moon in background, didn't come out all that well. Concentrating on flying the unit; taking the pic was definitely not the priority.
    NiHui (2)m2m.jpg NiHui (6)m2m.jpg

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
    ringolong likes this.
  4. sailorsam

Road trip. AM photo ops at local boat ramp. Unbelievably beautiful day ; no wind at all, bright sunshine.
    Got overconfident and flew unit over creek, turned, took some pics from the water. Bringing the unit back I controlled down / right / back and it got into a slide/slice (what's it called when it turn so sharp it slants and flies down at an angle? yawing?). Thought sure unit would go in the water but at last minute I accidentally turned Headless mode off and it cut in and landed at my feet. Whew!!! Headless doesn't work so well when it's close.
    111615am (5)m.jpg 111615am (25)m.jpg 111615am (21)m.jpg

RGJameson and Thomas in Niagara like this.
  5. Great pics SailorSam!!! Nice scenic area to fly in. That is some calm water!!! Thanks for sharing. [edited to add stuff]
    Is that you on the pier across the bay in the last photo? I admire your courage... hehehheh.

6. sailorsam

In retrospect / Captain Hindsight; The unit was out over the creek, in front of me, to my left, sun at my back. When I decided to reel it on (before battery went; plus it was zooming up a bit) I tried to do too much at once. I should have, first, lowered it a bit, then slid it to my right so it would be in front of me (I was on a pier), and then pulled it back; in other words, doing one process at a time instead of trying all three (axes?).
    The wild card is the battery issue. Don't want to try fancy schmancy maneuvers and watch it splash out of juice. I usually do photo ops right after launch so I know I'll have a few minutes to work with.

7. sailorsam

0.syma (22)m.jpg Here's a comparisom between the Syma camera and the UDI camera. Somebody told me the Syma was inferior. I didn't realize how much.

111615am (25)m.jpg

8. Great pics!! In all fairness to the Syma-cam in the above photos, the Syma-cam has trouble with exposure where the horizon is split between the bright sky and the darker earth. If I tip it back so the sky fills the frame and then simmer down to a steady hover, the earth is burnt by the camera exposing for the bright sky. Which may be a factor in your comparison pics. I don't have the other camera so I can't really judge. You do get what you pay for and I didn't expect much from this Syma-cam but it's fun and lets me see my life from a different angle. o_O I was out this morning doing some experimental filming which I'll relate in a separate post. Cheers bud!!!

sailorsam likes this.
  9. Well I was out this morning testing a new feature of the Syma X5C-1. I had this brainwave of unhitching the camera and using that fastener for the ages, Duct Tape to secure the camera backwards and pointing almost straight down.
    Out this morning early
    1. Syma X5C-1 - [bumpers; landing gear; and camera].
    2. Weather - Sunrise with calm winds, 42F with winds becoming breezy (1 to 2 knots) as the sun rose.
    3. Operations - burned 3/8 batteries practicing turns and 2nfros and testing new camera configuration.
    4. Damage - no incidences
    5. Observations - Turning the camera on it's end and securing it as shown with Duct Tape displayed a totally different angle which when played, was a little disconcerting, as the angle was kind of tipped and shot rearward. I may do YouTube again some day and display the vids but for now I'll just show some screenshots. Hand grabbing out of the air is one way to land it however I did drop it down on the camera with no adverse effects. I was also able to take off from it's wobbly stance without problems. It was initially supported on the landing gear with the camera down into a hollow of my truck liner for takeoff.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I need to clean out the bed of the truck... [big grin]
    [​IMG]

And I need new shoes. One reason this mod might work for someone is if you are searching for a lost quad, this str8 down approach might locate a treed quad or one lost in a bush area. It certainly won't make National Geographic any time soon but it's a fun mod that sorta works. :D
    Cheers fellow flyers!!!
    Thomas in Niagara

sailorsam likes this.
  10. sailorsam

not me on the pier. never noticed him (her) til you pointed out.

11. RGJameson

RGJameson Hanging in there...

Those are cool. good job.

sailorsam likes this.
  12. Gramps

Gramps Well-Known Member

The UPS driver dropped off the new Blade Nano Qx today. After unpacking & charging I took it for a short test flight. Only been flying quads for a week so what experience I have has been on the x5c-1.

Upon takeoff this thing was a beast to control, particially do to the difference in controllers. Discovered it defaults to the high rate so when I put in low I had much more control and was able to hold a reasonable hover other than altitude which still seems touchy and you have to stay with it all the time. Part of this is probably me making to big corrections. I need to work on slowing myself down.

All in all I think the 1st flight was a success, think this little bird will help me hone my skills over the winter when it's to nasty to fly outside.

13. sailorsam

Symas are great, and can spoil you for other units. And yes, it's real easy to ovecompensate. I like indoor flying as long as I can land soft. lots of times I'll catch in midair.
    keep us posted.

14. Man that's a small craft to have FPV. All this reduction in size down to a platform that small that uses first person video... geeeesh. My dogs tend to leave the X5C-1 alone and seem to have a healthy respect for it...but a nano.... snack food LOL I researched the Blade last night. Looks like a neat thing to get you through the winter indoors!

sailorsam likes this.
  15. Gramps

Gramps Well-Known Member

I don't have the FPV one, mines a straight flyer. I thought about getting the Blade Nano 3D which can fly inverted. The only thing that scared me was the circuit board being the frame.

16. sailorsam

Early morning photo ops with the UDI. very still, some mist. the lower I flew the easier to control. did not like the down-pointing camera so I went back next day with adjustment. much better, but as you can see I got something on the lens.
    the first pic has a good angle as I pitched the unit back just as I took the photo. The second (the piers) better shows the down angle.
    112715 (2)m.jpg 112715 (11)m.jpg 112815 (13)m.jpg 112815 (21)m.jpg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  17. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

I'm impressed. A very nice collection. Seems stills are often ignored. It's great how you've managed such cool results without breaking the bank. Good job.

FWIW maybe you can try this free online app (never used it) with your stills.
    http://www.kizoa.com/

18. Glo

Glo Well-Known Member

Sunday we were at the park for my little boy's 2nd birthday. I had my X8C with a SJ4000 getting some cool video of everyone on the playground and then opening gifts. The kids kept wanting me to "go high, way up there!" So I got some snap shots.

Cloudy day, 5 mph wind... first day ever without a single crash of any kind lol

park1.jpg park2.jpg park3.jpg

19. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

20. Glo

Glo Well-Known Member

Yes I do