Flight Log: Tell Us Bout Your Flights

Discussion in 'Flying' started by sailorsam, Oct 14, 2015.

1. sailorsam

sailorsam Well-Known Member

I want to try this thread. Post your flight info. Enlighten us with what you learn. Entertain us with your adventures. Amuse us with your 'Oh S***' moments.

I'll start. Sunday; tried out new location mentioned in this
    http://quadcopterforum.com/threads/lets-discuss-launch-sites.6180/
    thread. Unit is a UDI HD.
    very slight breeze. Unit flew disappointingly; at one point I lost control and it went in the trees. no discernible damage. (one good thing about the site is the tree wall)
    one reason I got this was the one-button return; one of my goals was to try this out (first flight!). worked well. didn't come exactly to me but close enough. got some decent pics.
    changed batteries. second flight much better.
    most of my flights were with a Syma X5C. This did not fly as well.

2. sailorsam

Monday. Second time flying the UDI. Went back to the same place. Again, first flight was rough--kept drifting right--, second much better. I think the one battery might be a problem. at one point I was almost at a true hover, unit flying and not moving at all! more pix too.

3. sailorsam

Tuesday. Night ops with my Ni Hui. First flight it got away from me a bit, went in the trees, no damage. Second flight was great, nice and smooth.
    I love how this thing lights up. Looking forward to winter flying under full moon.
    This unit tends to have elevator problems; i.e., it constantly goes up/down. I can control it, it's a bit annoying. I noticed the controller was in 'mode 2'. will have to research how to get into Mode 1, might make flying easier.
    good flying weather, cool, clear. slight breeze tonight, it handled it well.

4. Noob9875

Noob9875 Well-Known Member

Night flight lesson #1 when ascending never answer cell phone I hit the light control on my mjx x600 couldn't see it till I realized what happened it was right on the peak of loosing range the control was just not quite there so my little quad starts drifting in a hella up draft I kill the motors hopping to just free fall back into range and just recover before getting to close to the ground then in slow motion it seamed like here comes this massive 45ft pine tree and a whole row of smaller trees so I go full throttle hit the dam flip button does a flip and land perfectly half way up in this tree and out of site from where I was standing so I walk around to where I last saw it tunning the lights on and off watching the tree line the whole time finally I spot my new toy at the time. As I started walking towards where my quad landed I hear a shotgun being chambered behind me so I stop do some fast explaining about why I'm walking around in these people outter yard the guy tells me come back in the morning like a normal person and I can get it. The next morning I show up I climb the tree and for the next few min I have to explain what the heck this thing I am flying is and where to get one now the old man has a dji inspier 1 lol 68 year old man getting yelled at now by the wife for playing with toys haha

5. GJH105775

GJH105775 Avid Linux User, and U.S. Air Force 1C631 @ 2ROPS Moderator

Hahaha, ouch. Remember never to completely kill the throttle, it tumbles, if you give it 5%-10% it should be able to stay stable. And for the last part: Hahahahaha that is golden, best i have heard yet hahaha.

sailorsam likes this.
  6. Noob9875

Scared the hell out of me and with mjx I figured out I could free fall till about 20' full throttle and full forward gets u our of all the prop wash it recovers perfectly and yea that guy is awesome if he sees me out he will launch off and buzz my quad he has got good last time I was over he had 6 batteries and is teaching his wife

7. GJH105775

Hahaha, that is the way to go, people who fly won't be against others flying hahah.

8. sailorsam

I think we suffer from 'Quad Mesmerism' when we start watching the units fly (especially at altitude) and lose control. "Look at that! Look at that!...Oh snap, there it goes! Down! down! No! Come back!"
    Nother night flight yesterday. beautiful, clear starry sky, no wind. great flying. I got that Ni Hui hovering over me so close I could feel the downdraft. sweet!

9. Noob9875

Ha-ha yea that's for sure :crying laughing

10. sailorsam

Photo Recon this morning. Clear and calm (and cool but still a few bugs). Either the wind picked up on site, or I didn't notice the wind at my house (which is tree-surrounded). So I had a bit of wind issue.
    I adjusted the camera to get higher-angle pics. only thing is, I put it back on backwards! Had to rotate for pics. Challenging but I gut some decent ones.
    unit didn't fly too well. I'm blaming the wind (maybe some operator issues too!). Trees are 20-30 feet high but won't stop higher wind. I did notice, higher flying suffered more drift. Next time I'll try to go earlier. 101909.jpg 101914.jpg 101917.jpg

11. GJH105775

Trees make me skittish.

Thomas in Niagara likes this.
  12. sailorsam

I've hit trees and once suffered damage, fixed.
    I had two go in water. One works, the other does not. I'll take the tree. One reason I like that place, the trees help keep me from splashing.

13. GJH105775

Hahaha, my problem would be finding which tree it was in hahah.

14. sailorsam

that's happened too. I lost one and found it only by repeatedly cycling the controller. heard the props buzz.

15. GJH105775

Haha, found one on a roof like that.

16. sailorsam

Nother night flight with the Ni Hui. full moon. took it down to the creek, boat ramp wi street light, that bay smell wafting in. great flying.
    still have elevator problems. unit has a habit of weaving and correcting. (some of it might be my piloting).

17. sailorsam

Rats! Lost my UDI in the wind. RTF didn't RT.
    Lost in high brush. looked for, no luck.
    I thought long and hard about replacement--I wanted one with a decent camera, headless mode, and plug-in motors instead of solder, under $100. Ended up getting another UDI (I have spare parts, battery, etc.) Next one I'll do something about those prop guards, which I think caused it to handle winds so poorly.
    I plan to fly over wi video mode where I lost, maybe can locate/salvage. to me this sort of thing is more enjoyable if I have some sort of objective, as opposed to just flying around (though that's fun too).

18. Noob9875

Yea I have an mjx x600 headless mode is over rated in my opinion I didn't like the way it flew it was just to wonky and if u take the prop gaurds off it will do loads better in the wind and speed and stability also is my experience

19. Noob9875

I had an mjx x600 great lil setup I got the quad and "fpv" WiFi camar on eBay for under a hundred it has headless mode which I think is way over rated it was really weird to control and got me into trouble taking the prop gaurds off helped loads in the wind and with speed and also stability the gaurds are not for indoor flying any way but u could do all the good stuff u could want with it flips rolls it has three modes on it beginner advanced and a form of raditude if u are acquainted with the openpilot plat I had lots of fun with it its easy to fly for beginners and can surprise the seasonsond pilot just a thought

20. Noob9875

Gaurds are for indoor flights dam spell check thinks it knows everything