Flight Log: Tell Us Bout Your Flights

Discussion in 'Flying' started by sailorsam, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Out this morning early
    1. Syma X5C-1 - [bumpers; landing gear; and no camera].
    2. Weather - Sunrise with calm winds, 38 F with winds becoming breezy (3 to 4 knots) as the sun rose.
    3. Operations - burned 3 batteries practicing turns and 2nfros.
    4. Damage - Snapped off a landing strut.
    5. Observations - Switching from Low mode to High, I noticed that it assumed a very sharp nose down attitude at full throttle/forward. I had to keep a higher altitude or it would have driven right into the ground. After removing the landing gear I noticed that the quad didn't seem to have much oomph for lack of a better word. Blade check ok, gears and motors seem ok. Hmmm. I'm leaning towards a bad motor. It was fun but cold.

sailorsam likes this.
  2. Noob9875

Noob9875 Well-Known Member

Is it looseing trust on one point or another

3. Noob9875

When I'd have motor problem with my mjx it would pitch towards bad motor and just kinda fall out of the sky more less on

4. Thanks for the reply. Not quite as drastic as that Noob, just an all around lackluster flight in general. The forward pitch was alarming as I was walking the dog as they say. Really reaching but as I was flying around, a driver started up and idled his big rig about 20 or 30 metres from me. I avoided him but now I wonder if he was using something in his cab that might have interfered with my signal.[?]

sailorsam likes this.
  5. Noob9875

If he has a linaer unit and keyed up yea I could see that my dad is an otr driver and had a monster Cb unit I've seen him key up and fry peoples stereos in there car

6. Wow! That's scary! There are usually two rigs that park right in the middle of the parking lot. But this morning was the first time I've seen a driver with the rigs.

7. Noob9875

Yea its kinda funny tho to be sitting next a car full of hood rats with their system going and then hear it stop and watch that magic smoke making it all work exscape and see them jumping about to make it work again lol

8. Well I've been working on this all afternoon. :mad::mad::mad: Something is fried. It keeps losing power. It will fly for about 2.5 min then just drops and skids around level about 3 inches off the ground. Dang and not a breath of wind all day either!

9. GJH105775

GJH105775 Avid Linux User, and U.S. Air Force 1C6 Moderator

What is it doing, and have you ever gotten any magic smoke?

10. Noob9875

Check ur fc I had to replace my board before from a bad motor plug

11. Noob9875

I hate when the magic smoke wants to leave

12. I could use some magic smoke right now...er... well if I was back in high school...Hey noob... this is an X5C-1 is your suggestion about the FC [flight controller?] still applicable? I'm not much of a voltage guy and I have a story I'll relate about that sometime. I have a multi-tester that's been sitting in my cabinet since forever.. unused cause I could not nor cared to learn about it. I can solder but know nothing of circuit boards and such. That's for the future. Right now I'll stick to RTF puppies. I can't figure this one out without swapping out motors. I didn't mean to hijack this thread. I've posted my request in RTF Modification & Repair/. Thanks guys.

sailorsam likes this.
  13. sailorsam

sailorsam Well-Known Member

got my replacement UDI today. short flight in yard working on 'headless' mode. initially didn't work well. I landed and positioned the unit and removed and re-inserted the battery, I unnerstand that resets the orientation on some units. worked; flew well after. yes, I can rotate the unit and joystick still controls intuitively. and the RTF worked. no wind; I'm thinking that's the problem with this type. I think I'll cut away some of the prop guard. hate to modify but 'tever.

Thomas in Niagara likes this.
  14. Noob9875

Taking the prop gaurds off my mjx was getting a new toy flew so so much better in the wind got better response also

sailorsam likes this.
  15. GJH105775

GJH105775 Avid Linux User, and U.S. Air Force 1C6 Moderator

Hahahaha, that is how it ends up working.

16. sailorsam

flew the UDI indoors @ job site. pretty stable. headless / rtf worked. course there isn't much wind in there (a slight ventilation movement).
    plan is to fly tomorrow morning, weather permitting.

Thomas in Niagara likes this.
  17. sailorsam

ratz. looked forward all week to Sunday morning launch but it came up windy. I had to strain to keep it (the UDI) from blowing away and I was afraid I'd burn the little motors out. Second battery I hugged the treeline and got some decent flying. Headless mode works. I need to adjust the camera so it doesn't shoot down as much. and I still think I'll cut off the prop guards to decrease wind resistance. 110814m.png

18. Flight Log
    Syma X5C-1
    Weather: Calm with slight breeze, sunny
    Flight Time: 3 batteries @ aprox. 8 minutes each
    Operations: Using Yaw during turns, flying box patterns, away and backs
    Incidences: none
    Cop watched me the whole time but never approached. Or he was just sitting there and much like my family, didn't really give a rats set of buttocks what I was doing.
    The more control I show the more eager I get about weaving in and out of trees even low level, then faaster and faaaaaster.

Michael Fenimore and sailorsam like this.
  19. sailorsam

hey @ Niagara, try any photo ops yet?

20. I have. I usually video most flights but they're getting boring now. I'm tweaking the camera mount, using the long screws from the prop guards to replace the short attaching screws that mount the camera. That allows me to achieve a more straight ahead rather than downward angle of view. Saw the tweak on YouTube. The camera on the X5C-1 doesn't like the terminus between the light sky and dark ground and has trouble adjusting to changes in exposure. I usually fly in either the morning or at sunset. The winds die down around here at dawn and dusk then seem to get brisk once the sun rises or sets. Filming during the day the camera does surprisingly well.

sailorsam likes this.