1. NOTICE: We're currently noticing some EMAIL DELIVERY ISSUES to Outlook and Hotmail email addresses. If you're a new member and don't receive your confirmation email, feel free to reach out to us via the contact link at the bottom right of the page.
    Dismiss Notice

Custom Drone build - The motors

Discussion in 'Experimentation' started by Josh22, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Josh22

Josh22 Member

Hi, I hope someone can help me. I've been planning on building my own drone for a while. I've designed and constructed the framework using 3D printing and aluminium tubing.

The main issue is, I don't know which motors and blades to use. The length of each arm is 250mm and the total body weight (excluding electronics) is 473g. Which motors and blades would you suggest I use? I can then design the electronics and power system around these.

(I've attached a photo for reference)
    [​IMG]

I appreciate your time to take a look at my project and thank you in advance for your help.
    - Josh

2. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, that looks like a nice design! I don't know what kind of a budget you're on but for a quad in the 450-500 mm range, something around 2212 1000 kv with 10 inch props would work well. Here's a decent setup if you're on a budget or if you want something better I'd look at T-Motor , Cobra or a the DJI E 300 propulsion system
    https://www.amazon.com/Hobbypower-1000kv-Brushless-Multicopter-Quadcopter/dp/B00E7LG85O

Josh22 likes this.
  3. Josh22

Josh22 Member

Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it.

I'm glad you like the design, if I'm honest I haven't really thought about a budget I just want to get the thing flying haha
    Those motors on amazon look very well priced compared to others I've seen, I like the look of them.

Is there a way to calculate how well the motors will be able to lift the drone (if at all)? Or is there a rule of thumb in terms of motor rating compared to how much they can lift individually and is this just simply multiplied by 4 for a quadcopter?

I've seen lots of different types of motors around all with different ratings but I'm not certain how to calculate how well they will be able to lift the weight of the drone.

4. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Well, the general rule of thumb is you want twice the amount of thrust minimum for the weight of the quad at full throttle. So if your craft weighs 1000 grams, you want at least 500 g thrust per motor. Actually I take this a little further and use this principle but at 75% throttle (just because I like to have xtra power on tap).
    When I started in this hobby (just a few months ago) I made the mistake of just buying stuff and hoped it worked. As a result, I've got a crapload of stuff that I have no use for and an empty bank account. Now I use an app called ecalc. Awesome in that you can put in the specs of your build and try any combination of motors, props, ESCs, etc. and it will give you the results. Here's the link
    http://www.ecalc.ch/

5. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

I use those motors and they work well, just oil the bearings occasionally. A test result.

Figure them at 700 (the test shows more) X 4 = 2800 grams of thrust. Dividing by 2.5 as a goal, gives you an all up weight of 1120 grams to shoot for for good performance. You can be a little heavier for less sporty flying.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    GlassKnees likes this.
  6. Wildwelder

Wildwelder Well-Known Member

Is that a 3d printed body?

7. Josh22

Josh22 Member

It is yes, custom designed and printed in PLA

8. Josh22

Josh22 Member

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

I've had a look at those 1000kv motors and they seem like a good contender.

Also, I've been looking around and I've seen this set for sale on hobby king:
    https://hobbyking.com/en_us/mt1806-brushless-combo-include-esc-5030cw-ccw.html

What are your thoughts and what battery would suit this setup if it's a viable one?

Thank you again for your help, definitely the best forum for drone building!

9. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

10. Josh22

Josh22 Member

Thank you! I've ordered the 1000kv a2212 motors you suggested, now I just need to calculate the optimal battery now.