Syma X5C-1 Modifications thread

Discussion in 'Build Logs' started by Mike H., Feb 20, 2016.

1. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

I ordered a Venom 700mah 35c battery for my Nihui U807....Since the battery has a micro losi connector on it ,im going to give it a try in the X5 before converting to a JST plug to fit the Nihui.

So the batteries ill be testing are.

1.) Stock Syma 500mah 20C
    2.) No name china 500mah 25c (advertised 25c, who knows)
    3.) Venom Drone 600mah 30c
    4.) Venom 700mah 35c

There is one battery i keep hearing is a very good and very powerful battery sold by MMW...My Lipo.de 480mah 40c battery

This battery is highly regarded for those with the little custom micro quads using powerful chaoli motors and custom FCB's...Ill probably pick up one in the near future to try out as well...They cost $7.99 plus shipping so, its not going to be cheap one.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  2. Gramps

Gramps Well-Known Member

For gear guards I have seen the lids off gallon milk jugs used. don't know about the weight.

3. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

4. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

Not sure..ill get a weight of a milk cap and see what it weighs...Its not somethin that interests me personally though.
    They're supposed to be good batteries from that place..Hopefully the 480mah i try works out.

5. Gramps

Gramps Well-Known Member

I had some Venom batteries and was getting 1/3 less flight time as compared to some no name batteries I had with the same mAh. I ended up returning them.

6. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

Hopefully i dont experience the same results..If i do, ill be sure to post about it.

UDI had some 240mah batteries that outperformed everything in its mah range...Some of these stock batteries are pretty good.

The same with some older WL Toys V911 stock batteries...They performed along side Hyperion cells which was impressive to say the least...The nano techs couldn't hold a candle to the stock cells back then even with a higher c rating and mah rating.

Im waiting to send a handful of batteries to a friend of mine for testing...Hes got the latest test equipment to check actual mah capacities and amps under load and so forth...Im hoping some of the lower cost cells perform good. It would save a bit of money haha.

7. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

Also,keep in mind most batteries almost never perform to their max potential when new..In testing its not uncommon for them to perform below rated performance but should generally improve with use or cycling.

If they arent performing after say 10 to 15 cycles then they are probably garbage or a bad cell (s)

8. Jackson

I just trimmed the ears down a bit till they fit into a JST socket. Just note the polarity when inserting.

9. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

How tight will the micro plug fit back into a micro connector once the ears are trimmed?..It would certainly open up more battery options without changing plugs but i wouldnt want a connection that wobbled or came out too easily.

10. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

Was only expecting one venom battery today but, received both, which was a surprise....Still waiting for the three 500mah 25c batteries from china.
    20160312_215848.jpg

11. Jackson

Try it one the one you were planning on swapping. Note I said trim, not completely remove.

12. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

I weighed the venom packs to compare to the stock syma battery.

Stock Syma 500mah 20C (14.5g)
    20160313_033704.jpg

600mah 30c (17.2g) +2.7g
    20160313_030519.jpg
    700mah 35c (18.4g) +3.9g
    20160313_030723.jpg

Im almost tempted to remove the wrapping on the 600mah to lower the weight...The turnigy nano tech 750 wrapping is worth 1 gram of weight according to reports....If i could drop close to another gram off the 600mah, id be really happy with that...Less than 2g of added weight for the mah increase and added power capability would would far outweigh its addition of increased weight.

Ill get a weight of the china 500mah 25c packs when i get them.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  13. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

You're taking a big risk removing the protective layer off. Once it's removed, it doesn't take much at all to pierce the cell and have an epic YouTube video fail. Trust me, I'm speaking from experience.

14. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

Removing the color wrapping shouldnt make it any more prone to puncture as the stock battery would..it will still have the aluminum shield wrapping under the marketing wrapper and look like a no name china battery.

15. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

Ok, i have full confirmation of an X8C transmitter binding and flying an X5C and an X5C-1 but heres the catch.. For the X5C it only binds to the Version 3 FCB and for the X5C-1 it only binds to the version 6 FCB which i do have in mine...I bound it earlier tonight and everything is working wonderfully..I didnt attempt any range tests however..Its rainy out and i just flew around inside the house for a few minutes to confirm all the controls worked.

Here something else ive heard about the X8C transmitter...Now, i ve read it had a 300m range stock and ive seen videos of people saying it has 300m range with a 5dbi antenna mod...But there is also a video of an X8W that confirmed 400m of range before it dropped out and with a range mod brings that number to 600m!!!..thats over a 1/4 mile distance....I dont know...id have to see that for myself and confirm distance with a proper measuring tool.

Now i cant say if the FCB antenna set up is playing a part in this but if not this is more range than some much more expensive hobby grade TX's...just sayin'.

I wouldnt use anywhere near that kind of range with an X8 nevermind a much smaller X5C...would be great for a reliable full fpv set up however.

Ill see how far of a range i can get before im ready to call it quits and bring it back in or back down before losing it.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  16. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

One scratch to the "aluminum shield" and you've got Chinese fireworks. Don't say I didn't warn you

17. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

Updates to range mods on level 2.

18. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

Stage 3 has somewhat begun..more to follow.

19. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

I will be adding two more stage 1 weight loss mods soon..stay tuned.

20. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

One person reporting the x8c TX also binds to the X5S model..Not sure about the X5W just yet.