Problems with my first diy quad

Discussion in 'First Build' started by ElRego1, Jan 13, 2019 at 10:01 AM.

1. ElRego1

ElRego1 Member

Hello. It's my first time posting onto a forum a problem so I'm sorry if I don't express myself clearly enough.
    I've built my own quad with these parts:
    *FC -> RaceStar StarF3S 30 A: bit.ly/2D5Z1cm
    *Frame -> HSKRC TWE210mm frame: bit.ly/2VNkn5B
    *Mottors -> DYS Samuk Series Shu 2306 2250Kv: bit.ly/2CfTiiC
    *2.4Ghz transmitter -> Flysky 2.4G 6CH FS-iA6B: bit.ly/2FmOSKJ
    *Camera -> Fozeer Arrow Micro V2 2.1mm 600TVL 150Degree: bit.ly/2VQSZn8
    *5Ghz transmitter -> Eachine TX5258: bit.ly/2SSAcWQ
    *Propellers Emax AVAN 5 Inch: bit.ly/2RFgosI

The problem with my quad is as follows: I connect the 3S battery and try to keep the quad as idle as possible for the start up configurations; I start the controller and it connects to the quad; I arm it and the drone starts to spins it's motors a little bit; if I try to increase the throttle it starts to accelerate very fast, moves as I was yawing and stops and thankfully it doesn't lift off to chop my face. Or if I increase the throttle a little bit and I yaw a little, it yaws drastically and stops and I have to deArm and Arm again. I do not know why it yaws so drastically. I think it's something from my configs. I've attached a file with my latest configs of the FC. And here's a video to what my quad does: youtu.be/rn0Tr-lwOIg
    I observed that when I was yawing left, the quad was yawing right and it was getting its throttle high and stops. I resolved the problem with the direction from the remote by inverting it's values.

I hope somebody can debug it and explain to me what's the problem or point me towards a whey of solving the problem.

Attached Files:

2. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

When you're bench-testing, this is the flight controller trying to correct for changes in aspect, mainly due to fact your quad shakes slightly when the motors spin, the sensors pick it up and then the flight controller tries to correct, it can't. Perfectly normal.

3. ElRego1

ElRego1 Member

But why do the motora stop from spinning after a moment when they try to adjust?

4. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Do you have airmode on?
    Them motors are quite powerful.
    You just got to get used to the throttle range & not be so heavy on it.
    I was the Same on my first maiden, coming from toy quads, they are more of a beast.
    It shot up so fast & I panicked & I cut the throttle, it just tumbled & I panic again giving throttle. It then shot off to the side.
    More panic.
    No airmode back then which stops it tumbling. But the props do spin on arming.
    Just go easy on the throttle.
    Ease it upto head height then find where the hover point is. Then look where that is on the stick. There is little notches.
    It's usually about quarter stick.
    But just go easy and it will eventually be muscle memory. It may take a few batteries but you will get this no problem.

5. mozquito1

Did you change the pid settings at all.
    If you look at yaw in pid settings, how many degrees a second does it say. I have mine around 700° pitch & roll are 900°
    Try lowering the numbers incremental for RC rate to bring this down to what you are comfortable with. 95% of quads fly OK on stock pids, but if you have not touched these then it's a case of taming the beast.
    & don't be so heavy handed.

6. mozquito1

The motors would only stop spinning if say you roll left, then the esc breaks the motors on th 3+4 & 1+2 keep spinning to push it over.
    Did you calibrate the accelerometer on a level surface.
    And what esc protocol are you using,
    eg multishot, Dshot?

7. ElRego1

ElRego1 Member

Airmode is activated.
    Well the problem is that it never shoot up to the sky. I would have liked it, but the motors just stop immediately after I arm it. They accelerate after I arm, and then stop immediately. I do not have the chance to increase the throttle :,(

8. ElRego1

ElRego1 Member

Yes, I've calibrated the quad. The esc protocol is DSHOT 150.
    Can the motors stop because a voltage drop when I arm the quad?

9. mozquito1

Is airmode on ?
    If not then the props should not spin on arming, only when you apply throttle.
    If after you apply throttle then no the voltage spikes would only affect smaller components really. eg camera vtx maybe the FC.
    Have you put a capacitor on the lipo pigtail or applied any notch filters.

10. ElRego1

ElRego1 Member

Yes, it is on. The motors spin when I arm and then increase in throtle a lot and then stop.I've recorded this video:
    A good example for my problem is at 0:24 I arm it and the blades start to spin and then at 0:27 I yaw left a little and it stops by itself.
    No, I didn't put a capacitor. What capacity should it be? Could this be the problem?