Nihui U807 modifications thread.

Discussion in 'Build Logs' started by Mike H., Feb 18, 2016.

1. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

Yea, it hasnt seemed to be a problem as far as breaking or not but, ALL gears wear out and polymer gears will last a heck of alot longer than cheap plastic will...Just piece of mind for me personally.

I bought 50 pieces of the polymer gears..No waiting 30 days or longer from china if i ever do need one for whatever reason.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  2. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

This is true. It would be nice if MMW made spurs to go with these. I'm sure it would make te U807 quieter than it already is.

3. Birdy

Birdy Well-Known Member

I liked the Nihui U807 so much (white version) that I just picked up another one in black. These are great performing quads, especially for beginners. Your mods sound interesting and I'll watch the progress but almost have to wonder how much you can improve on these.

Good luck!

4. RENOV8R

I've done a lot of research and most of the mods aren't to the quad itself, but to the TX. Do a search on YouTube for U807 crazy yaw, you'll see what I'm talking about. (Dev0-7/Deviation hint hint)

5. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

No doubt....Many toy models can benefit from using a hobby grade TX...Not sure why one would need a range mod with 150m or so of range already but ,a better tx in general probably would increase that...You can make the range 2 miles if you wanted modding almost any TX....An older DJI phantom 1.1.1 can go near 3000ft stock then stop after it loses signal and come back to you...Alot we dont get with toy grade but the fun in it for me is mixing and matching to get the best you can.

6. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

I have one more mod coming that im planning to perform and the rest like motor options are purely optional if someone wanted them.

Of all the parts i ordered from 5 different suppliers, all but one has already shipped out so, no telling when ill be able to get this done to show you guys..some of the parts are custom ordered to my specs...i need every part in my hand to make it happen..so when i have everything in hand ill get to making the product and present it......Its costing me near $60.00 to do this one mod for myself but, it wont be some back yard barn house junk and, it will be of very high quality and serve a significant benefit...ill explain more when the time comes..All i can say is be patient :p and i hope you guys like it.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  7. RENOV8R

The only plans I have is faster motors, bigger batteries so I can chase down some seagulls.

8. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

Ok guys..a bit of wrong info as far as these 11t pinions working on a syma x5...Syma uses a 9T pinion so ill be ordering a set for the x5.

9. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

I received the first of 5 packages for the "secret" mod...Hopefully not much longer till the rest of it shows up and i can get started on it.

10. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

YAY!!!!!...3 more packages showed up with more parts to do this mod...so i have 4 of 5 packages now....Just one more package and i can get started on it and share it after its built and tested.

11. RENOV8R

Surprised, it hauls my runcam with hardly any effort at all

Attached Files:

• 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      861.4 KB
      Views:
  12. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

Buy lots of spare motors and some flight boards as well as batteries., you will need them...Because the quad CAN lift the camera it doesnt mean you SHOULD carry it...Its way too heavy for the Nihui despite it being able to lift it....I dont recommend it at all...If anything a WL TOYS fpv set up is about as heavy as you would want to use with it..The u807 camera plug is compatible with WL TOYS cameras and fpv..In all honesty the u807 is not a good camera platform at all but is a great sport flyer.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  13. RENOV8R

Don't plan on using it, just curious if it could. And yes, I've got two extra sets of motors and 4 35C 800 mah batteries. I'm getting about 12minutes RT with them, prop guards but no camera.

14. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

Pick yourself up some WL TOYS V636 motors to swap out the stock motors with if you want even more power and speed.

15. RENOV8R

I might grab a set the next time I place an order but I've got a set of speed motors from Micro Motors. Just waiting for the stock ones to wear out before I put them on.

16. Birdy

Birdy Well-Known Member

Are these plug and play replacements for the stock U807 motors? Thanks.

17. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

Yes ,they are....the motor are about $15.00 a set depending on where you order them from...Both the Nihui and WL toys share the same motor plugs.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  18. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

Ok guys, i received the last of the parts i needed for this mod of mine...Im a bit disappointed in some of the parts as they arent exactly proper in the dimensions i ordered....The way i truely wanted to do this is not going to happen without too much work to make them for others as well but, i have an alternative plan that is still worthy of being a quality design...I did prepare for this possible set back in case my first plan didnt work out...gotta love china machinery...On to plan B

Ill show what im up to soon.

19. RENOV8R

Here's my weight-saving mod #+%@

Attached Files:

20. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

Ouch..Stock battery burn up?