Nihui U807 modifications thread.

Discussion in 'Build Logs' started by Mike H., Feb 18, 2016.

1. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

Well, here we go with some modifications for the quad...Ive been looking it over quite thoroughly and deciding what all i plan to do to the quad..This thread will be more of an "as i go along" type thing so i will be constantly updating and sharing my findings that i find beneficial to the quad in one manner or another.

One particular mod i've seen before set off a light bulb in my head and it can be a beneficial mod but i wasnt impressed with how it was executed.... if im going to attempt this mod i want to do it properly and maybe offer it up to other U807 owners as well who might be interested in it. ...Im not going to really mention much of this mod as of yet until im able to design, build and test it for myself...I promise once ive tested and the results are confirmed ,i will reveal what this mod is and its benefits...This will be the "Star" mod for any Nihui u807.

The Nihui was offered in 2 versions..Version one already came stock with bearings and offered a 150m range...The version 2 being sold now comes with bushings and its reported the range isnt as far but i cant say by how much less as i havent seen any reported numbers..just reports.

There are some popular mods we can do and if you have a version 2 , one of the these mods is replacing the bushings with 3x6x2mm bearings to make it like the version 1 in that respect...Not really a cheap mod unless you care to wait almost a month or longer to obtain them from china..I chose to get the bearings quickly and, this was at a cost of almost $10 for the needed 8 bearings...Ill share more thoughts about the bearing mod a little later.
    20160218_002253.jpg

One popular mod is using higher C rated battery with a mah capacity of 750 to 800mah for increased flight times and a more powerful punch...For me personally i dont care for much added flight time as this really burns up motors quickly from excess heat but, a higher C rating can add some wanted punch to the quad...I plan to try the Venom 700mah 35c battery...It does come with a micro losi plug but i will be replacing it with the proper JST plug.

Another popular mod is using the WL Toys V636 motors which are reported to offer even more power and speed especially with a higher C rated battery.

My mod coming soon.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  2. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

Bearings are installed and i havent even powered up the quad yet..haha.

I wanted to install the bearings first as i wasnt sure how much wear the shaft would see after x amount of flights and i wanted the bearings to fit the shafts with as little wear as possible.

The install went very smooth..The screwdriver provided in the kit fits the prop screws good and its a great tool for the entire install.

Please DO NOT try to pry the gear off the shaft from the top once you remove the prop...Take the pointed end of the screwdriver and push the rod down untill you have enough length below to pull the shaft the rest of the way out with your fingers.

The bushings were also pushed out using the provided screw driver...It didnt take much pressure at all for them to pop out...I slid the pointed end up into the lower bushing and up to the top bushing "sides" and pushed it out..then flipped the quad over and pushed out the other side.

I used the open style bearings instead of shielded bearings for maintenance purposes as i like to use a special synthetic "wet" bearing lube and not grease...You can see there is 2 sides to this bearing..The side you can see the balls on i faced inwards towards the shaft tube to help eliminate possible debris maybe getting inside the bearing...The opposite side seems to offer more shielding so, they face the top...Simply press in the new bearings and re-install the shaft, gear and, prop .. you are now done with one arm...DO NOT over tighten the prop screws...just repeat the process for the other 3 arms...I did one side at a time as to not mix up any of the props or any possible gear mesh differences.

20160218_020846.jpg

Bearing installed
    20160218_021119.jpg

Stock bushing.
    20160218_020928.jpg

I have a possible lead for a pinion gear made with a much more durable plastic and not the cheap hard plastic that comes on these toy quads...ill report back once i know more.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  3. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

I ordered the materials for this "Star" mod..i dont expect everything in untill maybe mid march or later so, this will take some time. .Be patient , i feel it will be worth it. :)

4. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Ah, the suspenseof the"star" mod is killing me.

5. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

6. RENOV8R

Great link Jackson, added this to my favorites

Mike H., can you tell me what the length and diameter of the motors on the U807 are?

Jackson likes this.
  7. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

@RENOV8R, I havent pulled out a motor to measure one just yet..i really dont plan on it unless a motor goes bad.

Based on some other reading they are 8.5x20mm but thats a number people use for even 8x20mm sets so, im not 100 percent sure.

@Jackson, ...Those are the pinions i was looking at but, i wanted to be sure about dimensions..mainly length as they appear to be a longer than the nihui pinions....Im sure however, a direct replacement for a syma x5c pinions.

8. Gramps

Gramps Well-Known Member

Using a ruler I'm getting 3 mm for the gear 4 mm including shaft

9. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

Im not sure 7mm (syma x5c) and 8mm (or 8.5mm) motors share the same motor shaft diameter..this is also what im looking into...It is the proper 11T however...if it will fit the motor shafts it will certainly be on the list of upgrades...i think those are for 1mm shafts like a 7mm motor uses.

10. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

Considering im getting the x5c-1 i went ahead and ordered a few of those MMW pinions to have...if they work on the Nihui ill let you guys know...if anything im hoping they make the mesh quieter plus the better durability to boot.

11. RENOV8R

They may last longer, however from what I've seen, the U807 is very quite already.

12. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

I got those MMW pinion gears in and they do fit the U807...One thing however you need to be aware of is the new pinions have an extension to them that the stock gears dont have so, be careful not to push the gear down so tight that it creates friction with the top of motor case.

1456171105370.jpg
    MMW Polymer pinion gear
    1456171251170.jpg
    Stock gear.
    1456171832783.jpg

13. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

Did a maiden flight inside the house with the U807..quite a nice and stable quad in low rates....Ill test it outdoors another day...The battery gets a bit warm..not sure if the new pinions are touching the motor cases or not but i plan to trim 1mm off the extensions just in case thats the issue...If thats not it, then those motors really draw alot of power and the C rating of those stock batteries may be too low for the quad...I do plan to try a different battery in any case so, ill post what i end up going with once i order them.

14. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

Why not just flip them over.

15. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

I suppose i could do that to ...Ill probably end up just cutting off the excess plastic though...make them like the stock pinions.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  16. RENOV8R

Can we get a pic of how they line up with the spur?

17. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

They pinions ride sort of high but it does have full teeth coverage..just from the lower portion up.....Either cutting them down till center or trimming off all excess and then centering them like a stock pinion would work.
    1456247064190.jpg

18. RENOV8R

Nothing personal, but you may be trying to rethink the wheel

19. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

Trying to get the pinions to fit better?..not sure i understand what you mean.

20. RENOV8R

I'm saying it's an unnecessary mod IMO. I breezed through a 792 page, 14,000 post thread for the U807 last night, nobody mentioned any problems with the pinion.