Need help building a large quadcopter

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ikram, Jun 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Ikram

Ikram New Member

I am a software engineer and don't have much knowledge of mechanics. I want to build a quadcopter that can lift about the wieght of a person say 100 kgs. I am thinking of to use a 125cc bike engine for power and gearbox for related speed change requirements. So the total weight of the drone could be around 150 KGs including that pilot I talked above.
    I want to know
    Will it be possible practically to build in such a way?
    Would the engine be able to provide required speed and RPM?
    What size of propallers should be?

2. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Do you have a budget that may exceed $75,000-$100,000? (Conservative estimate)

3. LoneRCRanger

LoneRCRanger Well-Known Member

4. Tentoes

Tentoes Well-Known Member

Well, let's see... When I was into rotorcraft, a 90hp gyrocopter engine produced about 300 pounds of thrust when we tied the gyro to a scale. 4 25hp engines might lift your pilot and machine, but won't have much power left to stop a descent before hitting the ground. 25hp is about 19 kilowatts.

The biggest problem is going to be "engine out performance." What do you do when you're flying along and something breaks? One of those ballistic parachutes might be a good idea.

5. LoneRCRanger

LoneRCRanger Well-Known Member

There were similar problems with developing the OSPREY VTOL. Engine power coordination was the main problem. That project cost what, $175 Million Dollars?: