Meteor 5" build

Discussion in 'Build Logs' started by Dugdog47, May 6, 2018.

1. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Congratulations
    imrs-768x1005.jpeg

Dugdog47 likes this.
  2. mozquito1

You could use just 2 bolts, I do.

3. Dugdog47

Dugdog47 Well-Known Member

Actually I was thinking about slotting the bolt holes longer on a mill. I'm a believer in the 4 bolts per motor theory.:D

4. mozquito1

Get a dremmel & make a long hole till they fit. Should be good on just 2 though.
    I bought one for cutting standoffs shorter but it comes in handy.

Dugdog47 likes this.
  5. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

I've always just used 2. Every grams counts

Gyro Doctor and Dugdog47 like this.
  6. Dugdog47

Dude those screws couldn't weigh more than a gram or two each, so for extra screws=8-16 grams max (just guessing)

Unless you're racing I don't see the problem?;)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    mozquito1 likes this.
  7. Gyro Doctor

Gyro Doctor Electronics Tech for over 45 years

:rolleyes: ... Not just about racing, freestyle fliers mind their weight and it's distribution too. :)
    Ideally you want the least weight possible and what there is to be kept around the CG.
    That way you're reducing the "unsprung mass" which improves flight command responsiveness. ;)
    Most mass should be at about the prop line (although some prefer it lower) and balanced for both
    fore to aft and side to side being equal. Then again, there ARE some freestyle fliers that feel being
    too light lacks robs you of the momentum needed to pulloff some tricks, soooooo I guess it all really
    just boils down to a matter of "taste". :p

mozquito1 and Dugdog47 like this.
  8. Gyro Doctor

There's one that comes to mind that illustrates that:
    Flying fast straight ahead you do a half backflip and hang there while you're inverted so you're looking
    behind you until momentum runs out and you hafta complete the flip :cool:

It's really a pretty cool move if you can pull it off. There's a Youtube vid of the guy who came up with it explaining how to do it with Joshua Bardwell.

Dugdog47 likes this.
  9. mozquito1

My 2 best flyers are my tweaker & the stingyX clone, which just so happens the props are aligned to the top plate. & with a battery that closely matches the weight of the frame. They feel like they're on rails.

Gyro Doctor likes this.
  10. Dugdog47

Gyro Doc sounds similar to a power loop something I've attempted with my tiny whoop. The attempts didn't turn out well as I was able to get inverted, and slam into the ground lol.

Gyro Doctor likes this.
  11. mozquito1

Not enough throttle & height.
    It's getting it matched with the speed.
    I still fly Los a bit which is the best way to learn. I find its a better experience than FPV. & can control it better.
    FPV was a chore for me.
    I'm a gamer & thought I could pick this up easy. But the goggles threw me off & felt confined, add I don't want to crash this £200_300 quad so I was constantly playing it safe. Still do but its all good.

Dugdog47 likes this.
  12. Dugdog47

Moz-yes I agree switching to fpv after being a los flyer for years was a learning curve.

I always assumed since I've been doing figure 8s in my backyard for years that fpv would be a piece of cake, right? Ah hahaha! Wrong!

mozquito1 likes this.
  13. Dugdog47

I decided to break the bank and bought a set of fat shark focal v2 goggles. It improved my fpv flying significantly:

In fact I'm now a believer in the goggles. It's the only way to fpv.

Gyro Doctor likes this.
  14. mozquito1

I can't get goggles that fit. My IPD is 72mm
    So I'm stuck with my quanums.
    Bardwell done a video last week & said fatashark are not planning on doing anything for a larger IPD, I tried a pair of skyzones but too small an IPD, & the quality was crap. White plastic sprayed orange with terrible light leakage. I didn't even fly to test the range. That's even if they where genuine.

15. mozquito1

Lol it is the only way to FPV.

Dugdog47 likes this.
  16. Dugdog47

I think for the price fat shark could up their game. Like you say you can't use them and they have no plans on making a larger set, that's lame.

Like mine have a nice field of view and work well for me, but for the money they charge you would think they would have a few more features. There is no OSD whatsoever, no dvr, no way to even tell what channel you're on.

I've got cheaper fpv screens that do all that and only cost a fraction of what the fat shark goggles cost.

17. mozquito1

They banging on about concentrating on user experience. How can you get that if no goggles fit. I don't want to buy a pair, just to mod. I could break them then get no use of them. Bardwell wanted a power switch but not even that.

18. Gyro Doctor

Been there, done that ... lol ... (helps if you remember to chop the throttle as soon as you're inverted) :p

Dugdog47 likes this.
  19. Dugdog47

Yea I'll get it eventually but for now I just fly my 5"ers in angle mode. I'm still a novice.

Gyro Doctor likes this.