Control Setup Help

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Tink, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Tink

Tink New Member

Hey all, noob to the quad scene here. I'm in awe of many of the freestyle videos on youtube, and I'm inspired to give it a shot myself. Looking to purchase a quad fairly soon (I've got my eye on the eamachine wizard) but before I do that, I have a bit of a silly question pertaining to the flight controls. I have spent a fair amount of time practicing in the DRL Sim and I cannot for the life of me get a hang of the default controls. My brain and muscle memory is wired to piloting a helicopter in Battlefield 4, and using that control scheme I can fly the quad in "pro" mode (No altitude lock, stabilization, or angle limit) with a decent amount of confidence. Minimal crashes, basic tricks and maneuvers, etc.
    (Using an xbox controller)
    Left stick Y-axis: Throttle
    Left stick X-axis: Roll
    Right stick Y-axis: Pitch
    Right stick X-axis: Yaw
    I'm not sure how accurate the DRL sim is to real life. Are those controls actually viable? Is there a "correct" setup for piloting? Or should I buckle down and make my brain switch the roll and yaw. Any help is much appreciated. Cheers!

2. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

With most transmitters out now you can map the buttons & sticks to whatever suits you. I got a basic i6 that can do that.
    But I bought a mode 2 & never flown anything other than the occasional plane when I was a kid. But had no problems I just got used to it.
    Source the parts for that wizard yourself alot cheaper probably. It's a very easy build so if you break it you will have an idea what needs to be done & we will help. Unless you want to send it back & lose interest or weeks of valuable flying time. You would need some basic tools & hardware but nothing to break the bank.
    My builds are solid, better than an eachine wizard. It was never a very well finished product. IMG_20180105_175208087_HDR-1024x575.jpg
    It's a bit batterd but this 2 year old is still kicking & screaming.

3. mozquito1

This is the underside.
    IMG_20170513_192416822_HDR-1024x575.jpg
    ;)

4. mozquito1

Or rather, it was. It's a bit dirty now.

5. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

Sounds like the forgotten MODE 4.

[​IMG]

When I first started it made more sense to me. Took a long time to get used to MODE 2 which is by far the most common.

[​IMG]

6. Rick M

Rick M Absent-minded professor

Or Mode 2 on a Syma controller. :D