Cheap, yet good FPV setups to get you started

Discussion in 'FPV Systems' started by GJH105775, Jun 9, 2015.

1. GJH105775

GJH105775 Avid Linux User, and U.S. Air Force 1C6x1 Moderator

For FPV you need a way to take (and maybe record) video, transmit video, and view video. You need a video transmitter and a camera to go on the quad, a receiver and play-back device like a screen or goggles on the ground.

Quantum V2 Goggles (unless you want a screen) or another set of goggles like headplay or fatshark (Never get the Teleporters).

Eachine googles ~60$ goggles cheaply made and a lot lower res than the quantums, but the price is almost 40$ less

148 FOV camera+ 32ch 200mW VTX (message me or Neil as we may be able to get this set 50% off) or if your budget is really tight then here is a cheaper set I have used and like. The camera is not as wide a FOV.

8ch Boscam receiver

Don't forget a battery, I suggest getting around a 1000mAh 3S battery for the Quantum.

And FPV is not near as fun when you are not recording it so I suggest the Runcam, I have used it and am really surprised with the quality, especially for the price.

--NEW--

Sky-HD01 all in one camera, Like Runcam or Mobius, but built in vTx and low latency, remember you can't fly FPV from a gimbal, so if you want to you need two separate cameras.

DVRs in case you wish to record your video stream:|
    Cheap DVR from Banggood 24$
    Better DVR from Hobbyking 52$
    Bosscam pocket ground station from Hobbyking 100$
    32ch receiver with built in DVR from Hobbyking 45$

If you are planning on adding FPV to a mini then be sure to check out this skyzone 4.5 gram 5.8GHz FPV camera and transmitter from flitetest.

Suggested link for the Fatshark DOM V2.

If you want some steady video here an Eachine 2 axis gimbal. Out of the box it works with the GoPro, but you can make it work with a Runcam or Mobius form factor pretty easy, just message me for the file.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
    mejha likes this.
  2. Fishy Tree

Fishy Tree Yup, I wrecked again...

I love you!

3. GJH105775

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  4. Fishy Tree

Fishy Tree Yup, I wrecked again...

What do you define as creepy? I mean wanting to be together forever as lovers, is that creepy? Lol JK, I love you in the sense that you are awesome. :)

BTW, your profile pic is over level 9000 of cool ;)

5. GJH105775

Haha, thanks. The profile pic is something I cobbled together at around 4am, it is a picture of me in a Guy Fawkes mask and crooked sunglasses, and I pasted the USAF (Unites States Air Force) emblem on after I was sworn in. I don't yet have any cool quadcopter pictures so I used that xD.

6. Vikingly

Vikingly Member

Again <<< This guy is a noob... Is this implying having a runcam for recording and the cam you provided the link for as the FPV camera?

7. GJH105775

Yes, this is to avoid the latency that all action cameras have.

By the way are you a native english speaker?

8. Vikingly

Vikingly Member

Now that I look at my post, I can see why you've asked that. I am. Lemmie see if I can fix this... "Is this implying having a/the runcam for recording, and the cam you provided the link to as the FPV camera?"

9. GJH105775

Yes, you want ot have two seperate cameras, the Runcam will record, and you can put it on a gimbal. The board camera can be just for FPV live out because it is 0 latency.

10. Dallen

Dallen UtahRCGuy

So I added the receiver, the quanum goggles, and the camera/transmitter to my cart. Is that all I need? and what about the battery? I thought that I saw a port to plug in the balancer. If not, what do I use? Great post by the way

11. GJH105775

Reciever, quantum v2 goggles, and a 3S battery. You might just grab a bag of XT60 connectors.

12. Dallen

Dallen UtahRCGuy

OK, just did a bit of poking around off of your original reference and I found this: Quanum Goggles w/ FPV Bundle

Is that complete?

13. GJH105775

The Quantum V2 googles are a lot better, especially for the price, the screen was upgraded and especially the way it fits on your head.

14. Ethan Hanley

Ethan Hanley New Member

I am a newb to fpv drone racing and am wanting to know what a good fpv setup is for my walkera runner 250 (basic 3)... I am on a low budget as well, which really sucks... Thanks for the help!

15. GJH105775

How much weight do you think you can stand? You could use the quantum v2 googles (or just the screen), a reliever (either need a 32ch Vtx or to know which band your Vrx is. a 32ch vrx is a lot more than a 32ch vtx)

16. Ethan Hanley

Ethan Hanley New Member

I was thinking about doing that, it didn't know if the quality would be okay. Thanks, I'll look into it.

GJH105775 likes this.
  17. glowingturnip

glowingturnip Well-Known Member

so i treated myself for xmas and got some FPV components as you recommended George. (I could only source the V1 goggles, hope they're good enough).

Question about powering it all...

Both the screen and the receiver have a little two-pin JST plug as shown below, not like the 4-pin balancer plugs i have on my 2200mah batteries - what kind of batteries work with those, are all the 1000mah 3s batteries 2-pin ? and could I run both off the same battery, or do I need two ?

upload_2015-12-27_19-58-28.png

And for the transmitter, that has a female 4-pin balancer plug thingy on it, and says it needs 7-12V - So i'm assuming that I can't run it off one of the 5-volt buses on the fcb, but that i could snip the plug off and solder it straight in to the PDB - right ?

18. GJH105775

What reciever are you using? I just used the 12v from my 3S LiPo with a XT60 connector.

19. glowingturnip

glowingturnip Well-Known Member

it's the RC805 Boscam receiver

20. GJH105775

The specs I read say 12v, should be fine with just a 3S LiPo, Li-Ion or LiFe.