Beginner FPV parts and compatibility?

Discussion in 'FPV Systems' started by Philbruh, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Philbruh

Philbruh Member

Hi All,

I am slowly completing my quad and have come to the point where I am scouting an FPV system, but having a little trouble understanding part compatibility

As a beginner, I am not wanting to spend too much, but still want a lot of good features with the potential to upgrade later. In saying this I have read that the Quanum Cyclops V2 goggles are the way to go at the moment and am leaning towards this due to price/ feature ratio

In terms of the other components, I understand I need a camera, VTX and upgrade the antenna, but a bit confused on the specs, or really what I need to look out for when shopping::

For the camera is there anything special I should look out for? As i'm from Australia I understand I need to look for a Pal standard but that's about it. Does it need to be compatible with a certain type of VTX?

For the VTX, I understand the different power strengths... leaning towards a 250mw, but one that I can change on the VTX would also be great, maybe would like 600MW some days for long distance. Does this need to be compatible with the receiver on the goggles or will it connect to any receiver?

For the Antenna, I've read that circular polarised antenna are the better option and am leaning towards this. Is there anything I need to look out for in terms of compatibility for this or are these quite literally plug and play? Are certain antenna brands/ size/ some other physical feature that im not aware of, better than others?

Any help will be much appreciated :D cheers
  2. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

HK/eBay wants a total of $80.38 shipped, and that is without a battery.

You may want to take a peek at some video reviews of this one, which adds a battery, diversity, DVR and some step up antennas among other things.
    Many folks seem to like the inexpensive pagoda antennas these days.
  3. Philbruh

Philbruh Member

Awesome thanks, these are nice and reviews saying they are good entry level. The second-panel antenna is definitely a bonus over the cyclops.

In terms of compatibility with a camera and VTX, will it work with any?
  4. Philbruh

Philbruh Member

Also another feature im interested in would be OSD, does this come under the camera, vtx or google requirements?
  5. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

OSD can now be set up as a function of the Betaflight software. This option is available with many F3 and F4 flight controllers
  6. Rick M

Rick M Absent-minded professor

The OSD setup in Betaflight is really good, and very configurable. As long as the FC supports OSD it's quite easy.