XJ470 Build

Discussion in 'Build Logs' started by ringolong, Aug 27, 2016.

1. ringolong

ringolong Well-Known Member

Still waiting on some more items to arrive, but I have enough to get started. It has been a while since I built anything, but here it goes.

Frame: Quanum XJ470
    Motors: T-Motor MT2216 1100kv
    Flight Controller: Tarot ZYX-M
    OSD: Tarot ZYX-OSD
    ESCs: Castle Quadpack 25
    Receiver: FrSky X8R
    Voltage Sensor: FrSky for telemetry
    Radio: Taranis X9D Plus

IMG_0309.JPG

2. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Some nice pieces there. Will it be 3 or 4S?

3. ringolong

Thanks!

I have 2 4s batteries so it will start out as a 4s, but it could change depending on how it flies with the 4s.

4. RENOV8R

So I'm guessing that this will be more of a sport flyer than for AP? I'll be watching to see how this turns out, I've got some nice 3508 900 KV Marspower motors that are burning a hole in my bench and would work well on a frame this size

5. ringolong

No plans as of right now to hang a gimbal, but I may so I can get some high speed footage. I will be installing fpv too. I will post some pics of my FPV gear in a bit.

I have to say that the xj470 frame is a solid frame with not one piece of plastic. It's all carbon fiber and aluminum.

6. ringolong

Frame build is complete. This one took some time to assemble.

IMG_0313.JPG IMG_0312.JPG

mtnmanfpv and RENOV8R like this.
  7. ringolong

More additions.. Time to heat up the solder :)

IMG_0327.JPG IMG_0321.JPG IMG_0326.JPG IMG_0322.JPG IMG_0329.JPG IMG_0324.JPG

RENOV8R likes this.
  8. ringolong

9. ringolong

First flight did not go so well :/

IMG_0334.JPG IMG_0337.JPG

10. RENOV8R

Dang, man. Any idea what's wrong?

11. ringolong

Gains are too high. I brought them down, but it was not enough.

You cannot buy those mounts without purchasing the entire frame. (boo) Time to find some replacements.

12. RENOV8R

Yes, I thought it was shaking pretty bad. What diameter are the arms? Maybe the same as one of the Tarot frames?

13. ringolong

16mm, but I don't want the plastic tarot ones, or the super wide ones.

14. bullgoose

bullgoose Active Member

Fine looking craft. I was all set to do another S500 build after giving my last one away but i like the look of this. Shame the Landing gear aint high enough for a gimble.

15. ringolong

The frame has a high plate that does allow a from mounted gimbal that will keep the props out of view. It came with all of the mounting hardware too, but I do not have a gimbal for it yet.

IMG_0355.JPG

16. ringolong

Ordered a new set of motor mounts. Lets see how these do. Not the best looking, but I did not want plastic, or the wide tarot mounts.

Screen Shot 2016-09-10 at 11.10.58 PM.png

17. RENOV8R

Not to hijack your thread but I;ve been scouring many sites looking for a build similar to yours that will work with the 3508 700 kv motors I have, and I think I've finally found it.! Are you familiar with this frame? It certainly appears to be good quality
    https://flyingcinema.com/cinetank-mk2l

18. ringolong

It's a nice frame, but not much room. The tbs discovery frame or clones have more room and are good too.

The xj470 frame will support much larger motors, so it is an option for your build too. I contemplated installing the e600 (3508 415kv with 12 inch props), but decided I wanted speed instead of flight time for now.

19. ringolong

Retracts ordered! (151 grams) Loosing the existing landing gear :cool:

Screen Shot 2016-09-17 at 9.03.21 PM.png

RENOV8R likes this.
  20. RENOV8R

Well, it seems the xj470 is discontinued. I like the Aliencopter Bee, but again it won't accept the larger 3508 motors.