Wing out of the blue

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mozquito1, Jul 8, 2018.

1. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

2. mozquito1

Oh the jo_Oy.. I just manually calibrated 15 esc's & found 3 duds.
    The original I opened fresh, one I must have thought I did & then other 13 the second & to last was a dud. Suppose after using about 60 of these & having 7 duds is not bad. So now just the servo problem. Betaflight Seems to get more servo travel than inav when I plug the lipo in. But still no travel from stick input. Rx tab the stick inputs move & the servo tab it looks like it's all OK the bars move correct.
    I may end up doing that setup Jackson posted. I suppose I got a decent 30amp for a bigger motor if I do a future wing.

3. mozquito1

IMG_20180815_064057415-1024x575.jpg
    So I managed to get it up o_O
    Ended up going old school, there is literally only 5 components.
    Esc
    Receiver
    3amp bec
    2 servos.
    And getting 15 mins off a tattu 4S 1300mah. Top speed about 70-80mph
    Well its fast anyway.
    My mate ended up buying one for his lad.
    As this build with iNav was a pain.

Taylor and Jackson like this.
  4. Taylor

Taylor Member

I've always wanted to build a wing and seeing this build isn't helping! I love how simple the whole setup is and the Wile E Coyote is a nice touch

5. mozquito1

Betaflight no good for anything but drones. This barebones setup was a sinch.
    I just had trouble with with iNav on that new fcb for wings. Don't let this guide put you off.

6. Taylor

Taylor Member

No I'm sorry, after reading my post I see how I worded that incorrectly. I mean that this build is making me want to build a wing even more! Building a drone has helped me appreciate simpler setups a lot more lol

7. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

8. mozquito1

A few of my Lipo's are puffed now so looking for a bit of extra flight time at the end of a session. It's not that smooth yet,plus it's been windy and good weather coming for a few day next week, but that's it summer's over. it's back heavy, a lot.
    I got the CG but with added lead. I bought the prop mount but decided I'm not bothered by noise & would bring the motor nearer the CG so as not to add lead. No fpv in it or cam yet but will still need lead. Frame is 400g+ on its own, without the lead..
    More than an acro build but I'd rather be hit by an EPP than carbon arms of death. :D last weigh in was floating around 726g. Hard to weigh on my suspect lookalike drug dealing scales.
    So the Mrs said anyway. o_O

Taylor likes this.
  9. mozquito1

Being hit by one of these EPP wings on a pusher prop would only wake you up.
    Even at 50mph that would be one hell of a pop on the head but it would more than likely deafen you from the noise & crap your pants. Leaving you with your hands in the air, puzzled like inspector cluso.
    It was fun more so than a quad due to the fact that I spent alot more time than I should have done. Then I just basically threw it & hoped for bit of luck.
    Second throw it was up and used two paks just keeping it up in wind.
    I need to either play with throttle curve or adjust pitch, maybe less surface movement. Feels to sharp at low to mid throttle, a bit jerky but fine or what seemed fine with LOS at full stick.
    The dark nights are drawing in already so I just orderd some 3v led's. I'll just heatshrink a pin then heatshrink the led to that and push it in. Easy.

10. mozquito1

I did originally say to cowboy I was just going to do this setup but then you see fcb's for wings and complicate things.
    I tripped right from the go with config and firmware version not matching.
    Then the smix I see 10.50.100.10.50.100
    & it sends my head west. Dud esc's.
    Oh the frustration. Inav launch failed like half a fart in a balloon. Once this dies or when I get my bonus from work, whichever comes first I will be getting the mini drak or vortigaunt by rite wing.
    On a 2kg motor.

11. Taylor

Taylor Member