Wing out of the blue

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mozquito1, Jul 8, 2018.

1. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

I built a 250 for a friend about 18 months ago who is struggling with acro, aren't we all. Lol.
    He just asked me about a wing for his lad & would it be better buying a kit or a pnf. He was looking at the reptile S800, so I done some digging & said he only needs the frame as I have spare quad parts, which is All that's needed.
    Reptile-S800-SKY-SHADOW-820mm-Wingspan-FPV-EPP-Flying-Wing-Racer-KIT.jpg_640x640-1024x819.jpg
    I got into RC through quads but this project has me excited. So as soon as the parts come I'll show what can be done with some spare drone parts & a frame for £30. I just ordered some decals for it & some spray paint.
    I'll jazz it up a bit & have stuff left over for mine if it turns out OK.
    I know this is a quad site but I'm not really into planes but a challenge I like. I suppose a wing is more noob friendly. & if it brings in the odd build whether quad or wing, hey its building & a bit of dirty money lol. I don't intend on joining any other RC sites. I just thought I'd keep this in the off topic section but just update it on progress.
    I got nothing doing at the moment.
    &have to go out early as the midday till 4pm Sun is too dam hot & uncomfortable to fly in. Give me a cold well 20° & no wind & I'm happy.
    But 30+ degrees in 7o% humidity kills me. I should have something up by the end of the week. If the postal fairies are good to me.

Rick M and RENOV8R like this.
  2. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

I'm all for a thread on your build! I've been going back and forth on a wing for a while myself, this may just push me over the edge. BTW I haven't flown in a bit either. We just got over the longest heat wave in decades with temps in the mid 30s and humidex around 45 for the last week.

3. mozquito1

Same here abnormal weather for sure.
    I seen these trucks churning the asphalt up on your side & some guy up near Scotland got his foot stuck in the road.
    Not worth flying if you ain't enjoying it.
    Besides I killed a vtx03 on my 130.
    Just died mid air. As I ripped the goggles off I could just see I had control but no orientation, so failsafe. Went out with 3 quads & rotated each lipo.
    Put em in the shade. but on the 2nd go it fried with the heat. No other explanation.
    So this weather hear till August apparently so I'm not to bothered about airtime,, I like building just as much.
    I known this guy 20+ years so I said I'd make it for sons his birthday, as a present. Just like quads, I like to know how it works so I know how to fix it.
    I've spent about £45 on the frame, 2x9g servos & some spray paint. The rest I got in spares. I got LEDs planned as should still get 3 times the flight time as a quad so I don't mind as with quads your burning airtime.
    The S800 looks to be getting around 17min minimum on a 3S 1500mah.
    For the cost I wouldn't mind flying over water with one plus they float, unlike quads. I'm going to download inav tonight & have a tinker with a genuine omnibus F4 although I have a spare omnibus f3 micro from the 130 with no vtx now.
    I would have to Google & see if inav will work on it properly. It would be a better size.

4. Rick M

Rick M Absent-minded professor

It may be off topic for this site, but it's all RC Moz. I fly other stuff besides quads as well. I'll enjoy seeing how this build goes!

mozquito1 likes this.
  5. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

Delta wings are dirt cheap to build. Dollar Tree foam board is only a dollar, need 2 sheets.

[​IMG]

It was too damned fast and needed a lot of room though, had to go a 2S lipo and a smaller prop.

I started cutting one of of these slo-fly planes, they look like fun.

mozquito1 likes this.
  6. mozquito1

EPP foam spares are buttons for this & I think even my friend could fix this.
    I do watch a lot of RC tubes I loved robot wars as a kid but daddyO never had time. I did get an RC car but it was broke one day when I came home from school & never really got into it. As mum said I'm not paying that so you can break it,
    As dad flips his paper up to cover his face. I did get a 2nd hand boat off a friend but it didn't work, I said I'd have it & ask my dad to fix it. Well we where clearing the back garden one day & daddyO set it afloat then set it on fire. So RC wasn't happening in my house, so fishing hunting, drinking and smoking was about it. Till I left school got a job & joined the rat race. Now the daughter is setup I have a farty bit of disposable income which I have a surplus lately & nothing to spend on. So a £45 freebie won't break the bank.
    Now I'm thinking to build 2 at once & maiden mine first then try the other & then decorate it. Rather than just maiden his & butcher it.

7. mozquito1

That wing looks sweet, cowboy.
    What FC will you put on that.
    I got Inav onto an Omnibus F4pro earlier & set things up. The only thing I found a worry was the failsafe will not save to drop. When I save & connect its off again.
    I will have a proper shuffle through the tabs sometime this week & see if anything can prevent this like airmode. But it's not that. I have orderd a cheap neo M8 gps.
    As I think loiter is a must. Throw it up flick it on sit down goggles on, flick it off.

8. Jackson

Bare bones, no FC. :)

mozquito1 likes this.
  9. mozquito1

What. o_O What am I missing.
    What gives servos the signal then.
    I suppose the rx but how.
    I will have to put angle & horizon mode on this one but my own will be just acro & loiter. I take it a gps would be needed for that but not altitude hold. This can be done with just a barometer.

10. mozquito1

I just studied your pic & I can see clearly now how it's done.I think I'm right to assume it's a pwm rx. & can only be done this way. Sbus or ppm you need an FC.
    Do you have to mix with that setup.
    I've never used all that in the past with quads. I hoping as long as all my horns & rods are decent geometry that the delta wing setup in inav will take care of the rest. I may just set mine up the same as yours. We have quite a few lakes but I stay well clear. But what's to lose with one of these. Esc, servos & an rx can be waterproofed no trouble, it ain't gonna sink & I can swim. :D

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  11. mozquito1

IMG_20180709_230706587-768x1367.jpg
    The push rods are like cheese wire so I had to stiffen them up with some wooden skewers.
    IMG_20180712_231411069-1024x575.jpg
    With there being a few thing needing 5v I added a 5v 3A BEC just for the servos as these can pull upto 3.5amps so I'll atleast be getting 1.5amp each servo. instead of 2amp between FC & Rx & 2 servos.
    IMG_20180712_234137379_crop_728x1265.jpg
    Looks a bit messy but I left some length incase I need it. All the bits are here so it should be finished by the weekend.

Rick M likes this.
  12. Jackson

Yes it PWM. The 'mix' is the ELEVON setting in my i6 (chose plane for your model). Without this the elevators would both work in unison, either up or down. It sets the parameters for CH1 and CH2 (one for each elevator) which enables the ability to turn without a dedicated rudder (one can go up, the other down now), true yank & bank... :) Also by default SWD is Throttle hold, which I have set to '0' when engaged, and use as a quick motor stop/off. Too many times while retrieving the wing I'd bump the throttle. By default SWA is Dual rate/expo. I have 2 settings there, normal (turned down a bit) and a full tilt Sport mode.

mozquito1 likes this.
  13. mozquito1

I'm in a spot of bother with this now.
    All 6 pre checks are lit up good to go.
    Rx is bound & all good in rx tab.
    Flashed blheli & happily beeps, so pass through is working. There is a preset in inav for my wing, which I selected.
    BUT no motor is showing up in motors tab or servos. The servos work on plug in they move & back to straight or act if its tilted. Latest config & firmware installed.
    Its early hours & had enough, but the only thing left to try is putting the servo's +- back on the m3 & M4 pins & see if the servos show up. I'm still stumped why M1 is not showing though.

14. mozquito1

OK so today I took the servo +- put them on M3 M4 & just the same. Are working.
    Calibrated another brand new set on a servo tester, then put that on.
    Only to find the same issue.
    No motor in the motor tab but if I arm it & apply throttle it will start 3 single quarter turns stop then repeat. So the signal is getting down & same with servos they act when you tilt it but no servos show up in the tab. Frustrating.

15. mozquito1

After 2 days I can only assume its down to the esc. I copied Jackson's barebones setup. Wired the servos direct to channels on the rx & working properly. But the motor is still doing the same.
    Do blheli esc not work without a flight controller, on a pwm signal.
    this is all I can think of with inav, maybe it can't see my esc as it may not be compatible. So I'm going to order a esc & if it works I'll put the FC back in & see if inav is seeing a motor. But it should have picked up the servos On motor pins.
    So still somthing to look into.

16. mozquito1

:(

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018 at 11:30 AM
  17. Jackson

mozquito1 likes this.
  18. mozquito1

Should work from what I've read. I've just ordered a turnigy plush. Thus is supposed to be made from quad parts. The S800 kit comes with a reptile blheli 2-4S.
    Gonna try after work & take another working FC out my tweaker.

19. mozquito1

Not bothering with quad based fcb's for this wing. I will try the new esc when it comes, but I just ordered the F411 wing FC.

20. mozquito1

I just realised that the turnigy plush is a brushed esc, Doh o_O £9 up the swanny.
    So just ordered one of these.
    20180717_100717_rmscr_crop_720x576.jpg