Will this work? Complete FPV not listed for my quad brand

Discussion in 'FPV Systems' started by Fly high, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Gyro Doctor

Gyro Doctor Electronics Tech for over 45 years

:rolleyes: ... I bought that same exact setup for my first FPV gear and it works great !
    With the camera being so small, light, and having it's own battery you can attach it to just about anything to make it FPV.
    All you need to do is get a tiny normally open switch and connect it to the Yellow and Black wires.
    Holding the switch down for about two seconds starts the recording mode (camera stays on, as opposed to just taking a picture)
    so you can use it for FPV, but I'm pretty sure it has to have a card in the camera's slot too (it's been a while since I've messed with it).
    The red light on the camera will start blinking when it's in the "staying on" mode, plus you'll see the timer progressing on the view screen. :)

mozquito1 likes this.
  2. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

None of the Symas (and others) ever had an independent switch to activate the camera functions, The 'switch' was part of the toy quad's main board, activated by the TX.

Maybe you'll get lucky with this newer version.

mozquito1 likes this.
  3. Fly high

Fly high Well-Known Member

I still need a switch if I’m not using the camera to take pictures or video? I’ll not be using this for recording. I’ll record from the hubsan. I was hoping I won’t need a switch just to have it turned on. I see a “on” thing on the camera.

4. Jackson

You'll soon find out, no need to sweat it now. :)

5. Fly high

I’m not that great at this so let me ask you this, you said it needs a switch coming from the black and yellow wires. To check that it works before getting a switch, is stripping the two wires and just putting them together the same thing? just to see that it’s coming on? And if it’s working I’ll go to an electronics store and get an off/on switch after that.

6. Gyro Doctor

Yes, that's all you really need to do. In fact you could just leave the plug as it is and use a paper clip or something to momentarily connect
    the black and yellow wires. When you slide that tiny power switch on there's a tiny red light inside the camera (kinda hard to see actually)
    that will be a steady red, when you connect the yellow and black wires together (only for maybe two seconds) that light will be blinking
    and then you're good to go.

The type of switch you want is called "normally open" (N.O. for short) and also "momentary contact" (Mom or M.C. for short).
    This means the contacts inside the switch are not making the connection (open) until the button is pressed (closes the switch).
    Momentary because some switches stay in either position (open or closed) after you've actuated them, you want the type that
    only remains actuated for as long as you're pressing the button.

You only have one wire connecting to another one wire so it's called a "single pole" (S.P.) and the actuation is only going one way
    (connecting) which makes it a "single throw" switch (ST), these two terms are always found together in a block of four letters (without
    periods between them) like SPST, SPDT, DPDT, etc .... So, you want an SPST switch. Adding being normally open it's a N.O. SPST switch.
    Adding momentary action it's an N.O. SPST M.C. switch.

You want it to be as small as possible, so it's a "micro" switch. And it's a pushbutton type too, sooooo what you want is a :

N.O. SPST M.C. pushbutton micro switch ;)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  7. Fly high

8. Fly high

“ you want the type that
    only remains actuated for as long as you're pressing the button.”
    As long as I’m pressing the button? Now I feel really stupid. I want to press the button once to power on and once to power off. Is that what happens? To reiterate, I’m never using this camera to record anything, only to broadcast live feed to the monitor that comes with it. The recording is being done from the quads own camera . I just want to be able to turn on the camera with a switch before liftoff and turn it off again whenever.

9. Jackson

Did you watch the vid I posted? You're hopeless. :(

10. Fly high

I did now. Your trying to help and I thank you for that. But you’re also not understanding me. I’ve probably explained now five times I’m not USING this camera for recording. I’m needing to turn it on so I can watch it from the monitor. Gyro Dr gets it and has been the most helpful so far. My last post was to him because I had one last thing to clarify. Maybe iam hopeless but I’m not about to pretend I’m up to speed on something when I’m not. You don’t have to reply anymore. Thanks

11. Gyro Doctor

:rolleyes: ... Ok, finally found mine so now I remember exactly how it works.
    All this nonsense about adding the switch is just for actually recording with the camera.

This camera was meant to be plugged into the quad and controlled by the quad's circuitry "connecting" those wires
    for either taking pictures or recording movies.

YOU DO NOT NEED ANYTHING AT ALL just to use it as an FPV camera.
    There will be an annoying "CARD ERROR" message in the middle of the screen in red letters unless you insert a card into the slot.

Just turn it on with that tiny slide switch that's already there and you're good to go !! :)

Fly high likes this.
  12. Fly high

Thank you so much man! I really felt that was the case. I wasn’t trying to be lazy. I did look closely at the pictures of this thing. Saw the on switch. Figured the pig tail was only for intended models with the female connector etc. but needed afirmation from someone who could say for sure. And that’s what you did so I REALLY appreciate your taking the time to help me out like this.
    And to everyone else on this thread, I thank you as well for the input. You too Mr Jackson.

Gyro Doctor likes this.
  13. Gyro Doctor

Glad to be able to help. :)
    Sorry for getting hung up on that whole switch modification B.S. which was totally unnecessary ... lol ... it wasn't until I had the
    little bugger in my hands and running that I remembered how it actually worked. :p

Fly high likes this.