UAV Futures inspired $99 build

Discussion in 'Build Logs' started by roger jones, Mar 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Take your time, plan it out. Measure twice cut once & all that.
    It ain't exactly flying weather anyways,
    We supposedly got another beast from the east coming again.

Did you get a multimeter for continuity tests.o_O

roger jones and Spork like this.
  2. Gyro Doctor

Gyro Doctor Electronics Tech for over 45 years

Multimeter ? Did somebody say multimeter ? ... I've got about fourteen at last count ... lol ... :p

In a pinch, you can make a continuity checker out of any cheap flashlight too :)
    Just soldering some wires to the switch and using them will check continuity just fine.
    If the light comes on there's continuity, if it stays off there's none. Multimeters use about 3 volts DC in their continuity
    checking circuits, which is the same as two "A" or "AA" batteries in series anyway. ;)

roger jones and Spork like this.
  3. Spork

Spork There is no spoon

LOL only 14?

Gyro Doctor and roger jones like this.
  4. mozquito1

I just tidied my qav-r, shaved about 15g off it. Its the first SPF3 I bought back when I solderd pins on everything.
    So it's been desolderd along with the ia6b,
    All fresh wiring.
    Just want the damn rain to stop & more bad weather on the way. :mad:

Spork and roger jones like this.
  5. roger jones

roger jones Well-Known Member

upload_2018-3-16_22-8-23.png upload_2018-3-16_22-8-49.png

The build progressed this evening. It was a bit of a fiddle and most of the holes needed to be eased in some way but they all eventually went in. :)

That said nice looking frame and it feels like a solid build.

mozquito1 and Spork like this.
  6. roger jones

! How many drones do you have @mozquito1 ? :)

7. Spork

Spork There is no spoon

Looking good so far Roger!

roger jones likes this.
  8. roger jones

9. Spork

Spork There is no spoon

No hands-on knowledge, but I've seen lots of build videos where people rotate the FC for that reason and just adjust things in BetaFlight.

Here's a quick video on fixing it up in BF:

roger jones likes this.
  10. roger jones

Thanks @Spork
    Technically it will work, it just felt like one less thing to have to set.

That said I guess I will need to configure other elements is either Betaflight or Clearflight.

Spork likes this.
  11. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

Adding unneeded cabling does not 'remove another level of complexity,' just the opposite actually.

Spork and roger jones like this.
  12. roger jones

Soldering soon
    upload_2018-3-18_14-48-1.png

mozquito1 and Spork like this.
  13. mozquito1

I did have 6 I just gave one away with my old i6 Tx. Then I had 5 & a spare board & I took my qav-r apart to put fresh wiring on & redo the joints but I fried motor port 1 somehow. So as it was a 180 or 3" frame I not really got spares. So I have orderd a new geprc chimp, just a cheap 215mm frame 5" & a new fcb. Omnibus F4 v3.
    I will keep the SPF3 as a spare.
    So @ the moment 4 quads soon be 5 again.

14. mozquito1

Measure twice cut once.
    Do you have blue loctite ?

Spork likes this.
  15. mozquito1

It's a bit hefty to leave in the quad just for a plug in. Just rotate the board. It's only a tap of the keyboard 90°,save & done.
    If you where to put anything in I would suggest a Bluetooth module. About the same size as an esc. I used to use one but I sort the pids after a lipo or two now.
    The GUI on a phone app is handy if no laptop. If you are going to be using the pins provided & leaving cases on the rx you may not have enough room for that otg cable. I'm gonna keep asking till you either answer or get a multimeter, it's invaluable. You spend a few hours or so putting it together, all pleased with yourself. You lob a lipo on only to see a puff of smoke. :mad::rolleyes::oops::confused:

Spork likes this.
  16. roger jones

Evening @mozquito1, in order.

Quite a collection of Drones, Hobyking has such a good sale on currently we could all end up with a few. :)

Yes I have Blue locktight and it has been used thus far.

:) yes I do have a multimeter and I am learning how to use it.

Just found out I am supposed to have some magic white smoke tester, so I guess one of those is in the build list.

A list of things to test before you plug it in could be handy to come up with.

Spork likes this.
  17. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Mount your FC with usb port facing where you want it. The setting is the simplest setting in the world. We'll show you where to do it when you get to that point, it's just the matter of changing an 0 to a 90

18. mozquito1

This is my smoke stopper
    ef68c4c51e976d3517633d4ddd7afefb-1024x768.jpg
    To be honest I never bothered with having a multimeter. Only ever had 2 puffs of smoke about 3 years ago.
    Learn fast me:D

Spork likes this.
  19. mozquito1

That cable alone will knock about 20 seconds off your flying time. :(

20. mozquito1

Shouldn't be much to check if you do it all along the way. Solder the esc power leads, test them. Same with the signal wires & making sure they in order to the motor ports. I just do one at a time & try keep the wiring as short as possible.
    & twist em all up. Once all the wiring is done keeping in mind I prechecked the board was working before any soldering was done. I would flash the latest firmware, reset the board & do a fresh setup & back it up. Check motor direction & change if need be in blheli configuration tool. & apply whatever firmware your esc's are then check the box on configuration tab in betaflight to match the protocol.
    Make sure the rx is bound to Tx before you put it in the quad. Makes it easier.
    What Tx you got or getting roger.

Spork likes this.