RE : installing a camera into a drone which I bought without the camera

Discussion in 'Parts & Components' started by davidhk129, Apr 11, 2019.

1. davidhk129

davidhk129 Well-Known Member

Ok.
    Thanks to everyone replying to this thread.

2. davidhk129

The EX2H has arrived.
    I have yet to fly it. Still charging the battery.
    upload_2019-4-17_11-1-48.png upload_2019-4-17_11-2-43.png
    The part where a camera is supposed to be is an empty void.
    2 Pictures posted...…………

Frontal shot where a camera would have been ……...
    upload_2019-4-17_11-1-48.png

Belly shot where the battery compartment is located...…..
    upload_2019-4-17_11-2-43.png

3. davidhk129

One disconcerting thing comes to my mind........That empty void at the front.
    When in flight, air will rush inside through the hole. Is that a problem? Will it affect the balance and performance of the drone?

4. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Shouldn't affect the performance. If it was me, I'd just put a piece of duct tape over it. Not exactly professional but would be an improvement in aerodynamics for sure

davidhk129 likes this.
  5. davidhk129

Thank you.
    Maybe I'll go look fort either red duct tape or fluorescent tape. Maybe just black duct tape.

Now. How do I attach a camera ? If too much work, I won't be bother.

6. RENOV8R

It appears there's a plug for the camera. I've done some looking but unfortunately I can't find the stock camera that would go on this quad. This is just the fpv camera, so unless you were intending to fly fpv with goggles, I wouldn't worry about it

7. davidhk129

Ok. Thanks. It's not a" must have" for me anyway.

8. davidhk129

Yes. There is a micro usb port right below the green QC sticker ( 2nd picture).
    That must be for a camera plug in.
    Now, it is a matter of finding a correct camera.

9. RENOV8R

yes, the stock camera is the Eachine C6000 but it seems to be hard to find. But in doing a little research, it seems I was mistaken. The "void" in the front appears to only be for an LED light

10. davidhk129

I got ripped off.
    I'll go look for Eachine c6000.
    Thanks.

11. davidhk129

From what I have found out so far, C6000 is for 5G.
    I need a 2.4G. Maybe C4000 is what I should be looking for.

12. davidhk129

Took the EX2H out for its "maiden flight".
    As it turns out, it has 2 modes...… Professional mode and Altitude Hold mode.
    So, I am saved.
    It flew beautifully. Steady like a rock. I can feel the power of the brushless motors. Relax. I am not a convert yet.
    But now, I will have to find a really open field to try this big sucker out.
    For $99 + $20 shipping. I have no complaint.
    There is one disconcerting matter...…. the battery flimsy connecting plug.
    When plugged in, it is hard to pull out. What do you call it? JST plug? The connection to the drone is so tight I am afraid I might rip the wire out from the little plastic "socket".
    Next thing is to check out the cost of a 2nd battery.
    P.S. RE : fpv camera.
    C4000 cameras is what I need because my smartphone cannot support 5G version.
    I fail to find one that can just plug into the micro usb port of the drone belly.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 10:16 PM
    wafflejock and RENOV8R like this.
  13. davidhk129

14. SLFLY

SLFLY Well-Known Member

That camera has it's own internal battery. You don't need to plug it into the drone but it might be possible for controllng the camera remotely. The only thing you need to do is fit a mount.

The C4000 camera doesn't have any wifi streaming capabilties. Only recording.

There are not that many 2.4ghz wifi camera's around. They tend to be included on cheap sub $50 toy drones. And the quality is rubbish. Also your radio uses 2.4ghz so you run the risk of any 2.4ghz wifi camera causing interference with the radio. Wifi streaming is plagued with latency aswell.

Dont forget you could easily fit a 5.8ghz analog system the EX2H. And there are 5.8ghz receiver adapters available for smartphones.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019 at 8:58 AM
  15. SLFLY

SLFLY Well-Known Member

The battery uses an XT30 connector it will loosen up over time. If its really tight, you could lighty sand it down abit to remove some material.

davidhk129 likes this.
  16. wafflejock

wafflejock Well-Known Member

Show a pic of the battery connector, if it is XT-30 or other higher amp variants (XT-60 for 60A or 90 for 90A for bigger vehicles) then you can just pinch the bullet connectors inside the plastic housing to make them easier to plug or unplug. If you pinch them in too much you can make the connection worse but you can basically pinch them in or push them out with needle nose pliers, typically the plastic housing isn't actually the part that's gripping it's the metal parts.

davidhk129 likes this.
  17. davidhk129

Battery connector pic:

upload_2019-4-18_10-7-30.png
    upload_2019-4-18_9-58-19.png upload_2019-4-18_10-6-28.png
    Drone's battery connecting port:
    upload_2019-4-18_10-6-28.png

18. davidhk129

I sanded it down a bit. That did the trick.
    Thank you.

19. davidhk129

I am totally ignorant on this subject.
    So, here is my idea.....
    1. Get a 5.8ghz analog system which I could install into the drone.
    2. Get a compatible 5.8 g monitor which I could insert into the transmitter.
    That done, I would have a fpv EX2H drone.
    I would need a link(s) to buy the above 2 items as well as how to install them.
    Thank you.

20. wafflejock

wafflejock Well-Known Member

This is usually my starting point https://www.getfpv.com/fpv.html there's also racedayquads, both generally stock good stuff but might be some price hike on things, still good to see what's available and reviewed there before looking elsewhere. Like you said you just need video transmitter (VTX for short) and camera that feeds into it (can get these as combo with VTX right on the back of the camera). Only thing to look out for really is the input voltage make sure the VTX/camera can all be powered off your battery voltage. Aside from that just comes down to ease of configuration (many VTX will have LED on there and button to change channels and power output if they have different options) and what fits the hole you're trying to fill best. For the screen as you've figured out any screen hooked up to a 5.8GHz receiver will basically work just depends on resolution you want and if you want to put it on your face or have it on a stand or some other option. Price for screen itself is a little cheaper than box goggles that have a Fresnel lense and will help block out glare/ambient light, otherwise would look for antiglare screen.

---

Generally speaking the VTX will have power output for the camera and a video input line too so usually just need to worry about power input to the VTX, but if you plan to feed the camera power directly as well then checking voltage input on that would be important too.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019 at 8:18 PM
    davidhk129 likes this.