Oldish Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Spongeworthy, Jan 8, 2019.

1. ArmyVet

ArmyVet Well-Known Member

I did not design that. There are lots of other designs on the InterWeb:cool:

Check out YOuTube.

There is a guy on here who used his shot gun to get his quad out of the tree. ;)I have not seen him on here in a while. Maybe I will check on him.

2. Spongeworthy

Spongeworthy Member

Hmmm, a shotgun huh? Well I guess that would work during drone season.

ArmyVet likes this.
  3. Stu Diablo

Stu Diablo New Member

The Mavik Pro has collision avoidance, is the collision avoidance hardware reliable?
    If so I guess this drone would be the best for flying and not getting stuck in a tree.

4. wafflejock

wafflejock Well-Known Member

All depends on what you're trying to do with it. A mavic along with basically all other DJI products are generally fantastic quality cameras and decent gimbals plus some okay props a proprietary video transmitter and batteries (basically everything is proprietary so you typically buy replacements from OEM or maybe a few companies cloning or making "compatible" parts). If one wants to get really nice cinematic photography (slow pans and sweeping shots of landscapes) then DJI is a great way to go from what I've seen (not an owner of them but talked to them and seen plenty of videos from them). If you want to learn to fly acrobatic or learn to race or are just looking for a bit more of a "manual" feeling control than point and wait then the DJIs aren't that product. Like you said they're basically loaded with sensors to avoid objects and fly themselves but that takes a lot of the fun out of it for me too.

5. Spongeworthy

Spongeworthy Member

Aloha Stu!
    Thanks for the recommendation. The Mavik Pro tech is very cool and I could certainly put it to work here in Hawaii, but I was looking at racing and freestyle flying. Im sure at some point in the future I will be acquiring one. Thank you again.

6. Spongeworthy

Spongeworthy Member

Hey Waffle,

Coincidentally I just watched a video covering the Mavik Pro. Very, very cool, but you're right. I'm looking at racing and possibly some freestyle if my skills develop to that level. I figure if I stay low and in open areas the trees would really have to go out of their way to ruin my day. If worse comes to worse I do have a chainsaw. Have a BNF quad on order and plan to hone my skills on that (if it survives) before I start my first build.

wafflejock likes this.