Oldish Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Spongeworthy, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Spongeworthy

Spongeworthy Member

Aloha Y'all and Hauʻoli Makahiki Hou!

I have a question, and it's about a very sensitive topic. I was inspired by the Rotor Riot and like videos on YouTube to embark on this journey, however, I just turned 59. And let's face it, my tree climbing days are over. Does one ever reach a level of flight expertise that you don't get stranded in embarrassing places? Freestyle and racing are both options that interest me. Yes, I realize that if I fly in wide open spaces, which are far and few in Hawaii, that it's highly unlikely. However, what attracted me to FPV is the sense of freedom I experience watching the videos. My question might seem like a no-brainer to many, but for me it's a realistic consideration. I know I'm not the only venerable newbie out there. Any and all responses, suggestions, advice or jokes are welcome.

ArmyVet likes this.
  2. Dugdog47

Dugdog47 Well-Known Member

No you never get so good that you don't crash lol unless you're me. I never crash!

All joking aside as long as my eyes can see in the goggles I'll always fly FPV!

3. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

You'll never reach a level of perfection. but with a decent amount of stick time, you'll be able to fly just as well as most of the pilots you see on Youtube. For me, it's not a matter of comparison, am I as good as Mr. Steele, whatever. I'm just happy to have enough confidence in my skills to punch a few holes in the clouds without that feeling of clenched butt cheeks (that's a technical term) and the feeling of impending doom of my 500 dollar quad hitting the ground at 100+ mph and shattering into a million pieces.

4. holtneil

holtneil Well-Known Member Moderator

Hi the guys are right , I watch lots of the videos your see the building or tree coming but they still crash into it WHY ?it's big enough to see , start slowly learn to fly line of sight once your flying is becoming second nature then jump into FPV , also find a good SIM and fly FPV on the SIM
    I am 58 and fly RC Helicopters as well as quads so if I can do it you can too

5. Spongeworthy

Spongeworthy Member

Thank you for the response RENOV8R. That's encouraging. I like your perspective.

6. Spongeworthy

Spongeworthy Member

Thank you holtneil. That's all I needed to hear, I'm all in! Been on a SIM for a couple of months now. Deciding on which quad to start my first build.

7. holtneil

Use ecalc.com to help you work out set ups

8. ArmyVet

ArmyVet Well-Known Member

I started at around 60 with quads. I did have RC fixed wing experience from many years ago so I did have some "muscle memory" that helped in flying.

No matter how good you get or don't get. It is fun and keeps you young in mind and body.

Enjoy!

9. Spongeworthy

Spongeworthy Member

Thanks ArmyVet. I guess as long as our thumbs continue to function with a reasonable amount of dexterity we could do this for years to come, or until we run out of money. Whichever comes first. I've decided to stay away from abandoned buildings and trees, but I can't promise not to crash.

ArmyVet and RENOV8R like this.
  10. holtneil

Crashing is part of the RC hobby :rolleyes:

ArmyVet likes this.
  11. ArmyVet

ArmyVet Well-Known Member

Very True! No guts, no glory.

My wife would always tell me your going to get stuck if you go down that trail. But that is what 4X4s are for. If you don't get stuck you are not trying hard enough. And that is why God made winches:)

Ohh and she was correct about half the time.LOL

Spongeworthy likes this.
  12. Spongeworthy

Spongeworthy Member

I'm starting to look forward to it a little. Is that weird?

ArmyVet likes this.
  13. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

hahaha you're going to fit in here just fine

Spongeworthy and ArmyVet like this.