New Rules from the CAA UK quad fliers please read

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by holtneil, Jul 22, 2015.

1. holtneil

holtneil Well-Known Member Moderator

2. glowingturnip

glowingturnip Well-Known Member

to be honest, they should make it just plain illegal to fly within say 1km of an airport. I reckon fliers should have the same duty of care to other persons/property that road users have.

those rules look to be reasonably common-sense, a few inconsistencies though - 'illegal to fly over streets towns and cities' per the safety guide is a bit strict, presumably includes back gardens and parks, as is lower than 400ft which isn't very high (but I'd imagine almost unenforceable, who's going to measure it). Line of sight too...

Apparently the European Commission are going to be developing EU wide rules

The press love it though don't they, they keep showing that video of a quad with a gun on it :eek: - which idiot thought that was ever a good idea, I hope it's not one of you guys !

3. holtneil

The only place you can fly long range FPV is in the USA you lucky boys , there will always be some one who will mess it up for the rest of us
    I fly my Helis and quad within 1 mile of an airport but I never go over 40 feet high and never in the flight path of any Plane

4. Paul Titcombe

Paul Titcombe Member

This is nothing new just a repeat of last years guidance. Lazy journalists have been spinning it as something new just because it is a slow news week.

5. GJH105775

GJH105775 Avid Linux User, and U.S. Air Force 1C6x1 Moderator

Haha, as long as the FAA is still considering laws to be put in place, untill then I hope that people hold out on the stupidest stuff. The media generally hates "drones" or more accurately dubbed (in their opinion) "Flying death/spying- machine".

6. holtneil

I think what made them re post it was the idiot that flew 20 feet from a landing Plane at Heathrow airport , Why would you want to risk peoples lives

7. GJH105775

That looks like they tried to make it designed more after a hobby grade quad, pretty good idea.

8. Paul Titcombe

Paul Titcombe Member

I think you will find that that was last years news as well.

9. GJH105775

The media is a very powerful entity, they control what the public see and in doing that they can control what they think. If you run out of stories (that sway public opinion in the direction you want) to report on, just make an old one seem new, and not only have you re-exposed the public to the same story, but you have gave them a yet "another" (though it may be a repeat) reason to be mad (or any strong feeling it is supposed to provoke).

Jay1 likes this.
  10. holtneil

It may be but at the end of the day these idiots will stop us from flying

11. glowingturnip

glowingturnip Well-Known Member

basically the same mentality as kids who drop rocks from motorway overpasses, or run over train tracks. We don't need these people in the hobby

12. GJH105775

Or like the two kids that thought it was a good enough prank to cover a stop sign and post about it on social media.

Two people were killed, they promptly removed the post, but too many people had already seen their moronic act. This is how I feel about people flying near an airport, though the loss of life may be MUCH greater the chance is much smaller even if the plane were struck.

13. B3Master

B3Master Well-Known Member

But seriously? You see cross roads or come up on an intersection even without that stop sign you should automatically slow down and look for crossing cars. The signs are there as guides but drivers that have been driving over 6 months should have adapted and automatically pick up nature of slowing down and giving signals and looking out for other motorists and making sure their road and path is clear! Only newbies would wreck if there were no signs.
    Even if the entire road was planted with signs if your on an intersection and its your turn to cross and a moron decides not to stop, you dont just take off like its the law, you let the idiot go by then proceed. Eventualy a cop will catch him and do the required action...

14. ringolong

ringolong Well-Known Member

The drivers were either really young, really old, or the less fortunate.

Why would anyone in their correct state of mind cover up a stop sign o_O

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
    GJH105775 likes this.
  15. Quadcopter102

Quadcopter102 Well-Known Member

Reading news items via the BBC app on iPad.

Since Christmas - more "Drone" incidents have been reported around major airports and aircraft in flight - one claims the "drone! was over 10,000 feet high.
    Naming DJI as 80% of the market - DJI replied that they have built - in the Phantoms - in controls, geo-fencing etc,. ( not a verbatim report my version)
    Calls for more regulation and...insurance to be made law.
    Calls for makers to "cripple" max height and ability to fly in airport zones.
    The reports say that its likely the a lot of "Drones" were possibly Christmas gifts and their owners not familiar with Air traffic laws.

More and more parks - open areas etc are putting up NO FLY notices. In my mind they would be better giving controlled access on certain days/hours - especially during work/school days - leaving weekends fly free area's - or with restriction son where to fly.
    The USA's Prohibition laws set the president that there will always be ways to get around any laws and people who will do so.

There were times when having Tattoo's marked you as a thug - Beckham changed them into body art and acceptable - being a "Drone" owner is now making their owners - criminals and anti-social without due cause.
    I have said before... some groups needs to get into doing something that helps people and do it on a regular basis to demonstrate that responsible people can be trusted to fly in a social minded sensible way.

Just my opinion...

16. GJH105775

Here in the US the FAA keeps public logs of "drone" sightings, and some are ridiculously far from the aircraft (keep in mind that these multirotors don't move 500 mph like the aircraft, so they are a blur close, and too tiny to see very far away), 20,000'+ up, or they have sighted them going under the left wing when anybody in that model of aircraft can tell you that unless you have x-ray vision there is no seeing your wings.

17. Quadcopter102

Quadcopter102 Well-Known Member

Yet another commercial aircraft reporting a " Class A Drone Infringement" ( I use the BBC app on iPad so cannot give links) the pilots states the "drone" was a silver cigar shape with 4 motors on the corners - (I take it there were 16 motors!)

Latest report in the UK Daily Mail...
    A drone came within 50 feet of a passenger plane near Manchester Airport.
    An aviation watchdog said it was one of three 'near-misses' in Manchester last year. The drone was reported to be hovering at 2,800 ft to 2,400ft above the legal height limit. Experts have warned that it could have been 'catastrophic' if the drone had gone into an engine, as it could have exploded.
    The plane was starting a descent into Manchester when the pilot spotted the bright blue drone in front of the cockpit.
    It was travelling at around 184mph when crew spotted the drone ahead of them while looking out for a helicopter in the area, according to Jeremy Armstrong at the Daily Mirror.
    The incident was recorded as a Category A - in which serious risk of collision has existed.
    And experts are warning the risk of a collision will increase as drones grow in popularity and sophistication.
    Former pilot Stephen Landells, of the British Airlines Pilot Association (Balpa), said: 'The Manchester incident was very worrying. If one went down an engine of a commercial airline, it would almost certainly stop the engine but would it crash? We don't know.
    'But because of the big lithium iron battery it could make the engine explode and anything could happen – bits of metal could poke holes in the aircraft. If you are in an aircraft doing 100 mph and there's this tiny thing moving slowly you don't have time to react.'
    Another spokesperson for Balpa added: 'Pilots say they welcome the growth in drone technology and can see important applications for them commercially and recreationally, but a collision with a commercial airliner or helicopter could be catastrophic.'
    An airport spokesman said: 'If drones pass into our airspace they can cause issues which may result in delays. We have worked closely with our partners to bring in new policies around maintaining safe operations in the event of drone sightings. Permission will always be needed. We take any breaches by the public incredibly seriously.'
    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...perts-warning-catastrophic.html#ixzz3yww6mRwk
    My spin on this sudden rush of reports is that - somebody is spinning these stories to justify planned legislation - and as the UK as a really slow cumbersome political process to implement new paws - it could be well over 12 months before a draft is ready. That said the UK Civil Aviation authorities could implement regulations faster.

The real problem is and always will be that type of person who actually knows and understand his or her obligations when out flying their "models" but is more about doing stupid things because they think they can get away with it. Sadly these types will always be among us as they are in any sport, hobby or pastime. And legislation will not stop them.

18. MikeG

MikeG New Member

Those of us who fly sensibly and within the rules dont have anything to worry about from the regulations. 500m VLoS, 400' high, 50m of persons, vehicles, vessels, structures. or 30m when taking off and landing the UAV, or if the entity is under 'your' control. Sensible use of the rules keep you safe and legal. The CAA will NOT be the ones who prosecute anyone. Their advice is if you feel a 'drone' is operating illegally then your first port of call is the local police. Haha. As if they know the regs and actually care, unless its dangerous. Saying that by the time they arrive 'on scene' the drone will be long gone as its batteries will have died!! ;)

I am running UK training courses now for people thinking about doing a PfAW without having to fork out the £1400 for the full course. I also assist in writing the CAA Ops manuals for people wanting to go on to be commercial operators. North Lincs based. :)

GJH105775 likes this.
  19. GJH105775

But are you guys able to legally fly FPV?

20. Quest

Quest Well-Known Member

FPV without goggles completely legal, LOS is required. Any thing over 25mw transmitter requires HAM liecense.