Identifying Toy Drone battery terminal

Discussion in 'Tiny Whoops & Other Micro Quads' started by Bladerunner, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Bladerunner

Bladerunner Active Member

battery charger compressed.jpg The battery has a tiny terminal/connector. It seems to be very difficult to pinpoint this terminal from a larger one when buying batteries on line. The battery is a 3.7V 250 Mh. Common enough but how do I identify the particular terminal/connector when buying new batteries? The photos show the battery connected to a charger. The charger supports 2 sizes of terminals/connectors. The terminal/connector I am trying to identify is the smaller one. The advertising blurb for the charger says:

1S LiPo Battery USB Charger 3.7V/4.20V 6 Channel 1S LiPo Charger Tiny Whoop Blade Inductrix Micro JST 1.25 JST-PH 2.0 mCX mCPX Connectors

This leaves me none the wiser. Can anyone advise?
    Compressed terminal.jpg

2. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

3. Rick M

Rick M Absent-minded professor

The connector on yours looks like one of the two that charging board supports:
    • The smaller one is a Micro JST 1.25 (1.25mm)
    • The larger one, which yours looks to be but I can't tell for sure from the photo, is a JST 2.0 (2.0 mm)
    Both are commonly used on micro quads and small accessories like all-in-one cameras.

Bladerunner likes this.
  4. Bladerunner

Thanks Jackson and Rick M. Now I finally know what the connector is actually called.

5. Bladerunner

Well, I am ready to give up now. I have scoured Ebay, Amazon and Bangood. It seems impossible to find a battery that will fit the drone aperture and has the Micro JST 1.25 connector. Either the battery has the right connector but is too big for the drone aperture, or the battery is the right size but only has the JST 2.0 connector (so too big). Is the answer to get batteries with the 2.0 connector and some kind of connector that will reduce it to 1.25 so it will actually fit drone motor connection. Here is the drone. You can see the battery size is crucial
    compressed drone aperture.jpg

6. Bladerunner

Believe me, the batteries with the correct dimensions to fit the drone aperture and with the 1.25 JST connector are just plain unavailable. This must be because there is no demand for them. If anyone believes they are available I will be most grateful if they can advise where.

7. holtneil

holtneil Well-Known Member Moderator

Hi mate just find a battery that will fit then go to the link Jackson put up buy the lead and make up a fly lead to plug into the quad one end and then on the other end fit the right plug for the new battery that will fit ie JST plug also just convert the batteries you have so they are all the same

8. Bladerunner

OK Thanks. I guessed that. I was hoping to get the batteries without messing about I suppose.

9. Rick M

Probably simplest would be to either solder a "micro Losi" connector to the board, or make a connector lead like Neil explained to convert from JST 1.25 to micro Losi. It's probably the most common connector for those small 1S batteries and you can get the batteries all over the place in a myriad of sizes and shapes. Search on Amazon for "3.7 volt LiPo" and the vast majority of the results will have the (white) micro Losi connectors.

holtneil likes this.
  10. Bladerunner

Thanks Rick M.

I have already ordered some items and I hope I've done right? (If I had seen your post, I would have followed your advice, but too late now, see what you think)

So I have a toy/mini drone that takes batteries (with the required dimensions) with JST 1.25 connectors (Thank you for your identification).
    After extensive research I can confirm that batteries with these specs are simply not available, but, same dimension, batteries with JST 2.0 connectors are.
    How, then to connect battery with 2.0 connector to 1.75 connection on drone.

I therefore ordered:
    1) Batteries with 2.0 JST connectors.
    2) leads with 1.25 connectors (with male and female connectors)
    3) leads with 2.0 connectors (with male and female connectors)

I intend to connect a female 2.0 connector to the blank end of one of the 1.25 connector (male) leads. (After shortening the lead, obviously.)
    So this lead will then connect the new battery (with 2.0 JST male connector) to the drone. And the operating battery in the drone will just have a slightly longer lead. To charge the batteries I will obviously remove the made up lead.

Hopefully this will work?

11. Rick M

That should work fine.

12. holtneil

holtneil Well-Known Member Moderator

That sounds great in this hobby you some times need to think of ways round problems;)

13. Bladerunner

I made up the fly lead and charged up the battery no problem.

But when I connected the battery to the drone, the props are coming on full blast immediately. The drone has an on/off switch. I turn on the R/C first, then, turn on the switch on the drone. What would usually happen then is that the drone lights would blink and the props would operate via the R/C controls. But, like I say, they are coming on full blast as soon as I turn on the drone power switch. I have tried stopping them with the R/C but their appears to be no contact between the R/C and the drone. The R/C has new batteries and beeps in conjunction with it's on/off switch. The drone on/off switch is working perfectly. I would be grateful if anyone has any ideas?

14. Bladerunner

compressed battery.jpg Hopefully someone may reply?

Attached photo of fly lead attached to new battery. The battery charges no problem. But as per above, the motors are coming on full blast as soon as I plug in the battery to the quad. The drone has an on/off switch which works satisfactorily. Also I am not getting any lights on the drone. The transmitter has no effect on the drone at all. The battery and fly lead are wired correctly, not wrong polarity, which I believe is a cause of the problem I am getting. I have a multimeter, so If anyone has any suggestions that I could try, I will be most grateful. I have spent so much time on this little quad, I am determined to get it sorted.

15. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Why have you bought lipos that are only half the capacity of the original ones?

16. Bladerunner

The original battery was 3.7v 250 mAh. I couldn't find them anywhere (that would fit the drone battery aperture. The nearest I could get (with the right dimensions) was 3.7v 150 mAh. I know mAh stands for milliamp hours and amps are the flow rate of the current.

Are you saying that the reduced amount of mAh is causing the problem?

17. RENOV8R

mah is like the capacity of your battery so going from 250 to 150 is in effect almost cutting your flight time in half. But no I'm not saying that's what is causing your problem, in fact I don't think it had anything to do with the battery. It sounds like your transmitter isn't connecting to your quadcopter

Gyro Doctor likes this.
  18. Bladerunner

The transmitter itself has brand new batteries and appears to be functioning OK. Would you have any advice on what steps I could take to resolve this? The quad and transmitter worked satisfactorily together until I lost the use of the old battery.

19. RENOV8R

What quad is this exactly? A link would be helpful.

20. Bladerunner

This quad was produced by an Italian firm trading as Mondo Motors. It was, for a short while, marketed in the UK by Debenhams.

Attempting to get any information, about the product, from either of these companies, appears impossible. After much research, the only link I can find is on youtube:

It would seem that very few were ever sold, hence lack of information or interest. I bought mine on Ebay as an unwanted gift.

The quad is an:X6.0 Ball Indestructible nano drone. Here are some photos:

: ball drone compressed 1.jpg compressed drone transmitter.jpg Drone instruction manual compressed.jpg

Spork likes this.