Help with FPV System

Discussion in 'FPV Systems' started by Bumfluff12345, Jan 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bumfluff12345

Bumfluff12345 Member

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and i have joined to ask for some help with a project i have wanted to undertake for ages. I am building a 250 FPV racing drone and i want to try and develop a system similar to DJI's where i can take a video signal from my quad and see the live feed on my iphone. I realise that an iphone cannot just take raw video signals and that it would require an app of some sort along with some sort of circuitry on the receiver end. Any help would be highly appreciated. I have no experience in mobile app decelopment, although i am a quick and willing learner. Thanks in advance for any help given.

2. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

Why? That is a very unreliable way to do it. The usual 5.8G system you see on racing quads is much better.

If you want to try it get a WiFi camera like this one.

3. Bumfluff12345

Bumfluff12345 Member

Hi man thanks for the reply. I realise this is unconventional, but i like the idea of this setup as its convenient. Wifi doesnt have a long enough range, it also has a bit more latency i would say. I like a challenge and dji's lightbridge system is very very easy to use and reliable.

4. holtneil

holtneil Well-Known Member Moderator

Hi the syma drones have a camera thats wifi they also have an app to link to it off the phone , the great thing is you can link as many phones to it as you like all at the same time , go to the app store and look at the syma app one of the easiest to use out there

5. GJH105775

GJH105775 Avid Linux User, and U.S. Air Force 1C6x1 Moderator

802.11 is not ideal for FPV when you want any type of range. If you wanted you could make a little Rx/transponder/adapter that Received 5.8 GHz Analog video and re transmitted video over 2.4 GHz 802.11 protocols.

Keep in mind that your control probably uses 2.4 GHz as well so you would not want a very powerful transmitter for your phone to pickup.

If you wanted to do this it would be nice for longer range, though a lot of needless work to make it usable. If range were not as much of a critical issue you could use 802.11 protocols (WiFi), and a higher gain antenna on the ground. Theoretically with an antenna tracker setup you could get almost as much range as your 2.4 GHz control.

6. Bumfluff12345

Bumfluff12345 Member

Ah that sounds more usable, what do you think the lag would be like though going through so many different receivers and transmitters

7. GJH105775

Higher latency. Part of the reason we avoid WiFi cams. But with this it the latency would be even higher. Upwards of 100ms. Reliability is probably the largest concern with any WLAN.

8. Bumfluff12345

Bumfluff12345 Member

Thats what makes me shy away from any sort of wifi system for this type of setup. Dji's lightbridge technology sends the camera, controller and all other data straight over a 2.4G signal and then the data is fed into the phone through the lightning cable, the data is only transcoded after it has been fed into the phone i would say. How complicated is it to try replicate something like that on a more basic scale?

9. GJH105775

Well to do it over the lightning port is probably pretty complicated unless apple has an API for that or unless DJI's tool would work with raw analog video. You might find an analog video to lightning adapter if such a thing existed you could use a normal hobby receiver.

10. GJH105775

Make sure the cable inputs from analog video rather than outputting to it.