first time flyer

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by yay, Jun 15, 2017.

1. yay

yay Active Member

lost one cw prop too many. ran into wall, blade disappeared. don't ask how. the universe's way of telling me to wait until i can learn on one that isn't all messed up.

2. mozquito1

mozquito1 Smoking props, 3 packs a week the fun never stops.

Oh shiiitt here he goes again...
    You would think he would get himself a hobby, instead of writing posts all day.

3. yay

yay Active Member

this is cool except one thing is don't you kind of feel like wile e. coyote waiting for your kit.

4. mozquito1

Yeah I'll give you that. It's about the first proper thing you have said.
    Welcome to the forum.

5. ArmyVet

ArmyVet Well-Known Member

So, you are a British Subject? As they used to say??

mozquito1 likes this.
  6. yay

yay Active Member

nah not relly :) i've held passports for (counts) four! english speaking nations and spent most of my life in tucson. whereever i go people think i'm from someplace else.

nixed thoughts on piano wire, at least just piano wire, as it's a pita to join. looked into 3d printing (must have been living under a rock) and looks like it only costs a couple bucks from majors like shapeways, so currently mulling plastic mounts and snapping them together with lengths of wire. i'd like to prototype the rollover cage et c., easy and cheap to do for small builds.

just blabbing... if i wasn't posting here, i'd have to face the reality of a 120 degree daytime.. it was 91 at the airport at 3:30am in the morning... crazy heat.

7. ArmyVet

ArmyVet Well-Known Member

Okay, people in Tuscon, don't usually use the word "kit" as the Brits do. Reason I asked. I knew some Aussie Mates in Fort Lewis who referred to their equipment as "kit". Great bunch of men!

mozquito1 likes this.
  8. mozquito1

Nose like a bloodhound.

9. yay

yay Active Member

so i haven't posted. some days ago i went outside on a hot evening as my piloting was getting better and watched as the throttle lifted it up to about twenty feet, where i found that it didn't matter what i did, it was gonig to continue to go east. very hot record temps here lately i guess. though the trees were still.

the battery died after about two minutes i guess because i was trying to keep it in the air against what i presume was the wind.

so i ordered a bigger quadcopter and put fpv on it and sent that out with a hooked wire on it to retrieve my e011 stuck on someones' roof. once it got hooked it didn't have the power to lift off and they both got trapped there. they don't seem to have noticed.

so the task is to build a quad to retrieve the sum of both previous quads with optimised budgeting. i think prioritising economy is best because it potentiates a scenario of a progressively larger series of quadcopters being stuck there.

i mean i wouldn't want to get to seven or eight because if they came out the door at the same time and this giant quadcopter came down out of the sky and blocked out the sun. if that wasn't enough, then it landed on your roof and flew off dangling a chain of progressivly tinier quadcopters it would be so surreal to an extent that it could shock someone and be really disturbing. "what were they doing up there? how long had this been going on and i didn't notice?" i don't think you'd be able to explain it afterwards like a unique raw experience.

10. Gyro Doctor

Gyro Doctor Electronics Tech for 45 years

:rolleyes: ... Just fashion a grappling hook of sorts, with a line, to toss onto the roof then pull those quads down ... I actually made myself a pretty cool setup for retrieving my quad from the tall pine trees where I often fly ... It's a fishing reel, with just a sinker on the end of it's line, mounted onto a cane with a slingshot to get high enough up to snag and drag my quad out of the branches ;)

yay likes this.