Eachine Wizard, awesome or hype?

Discussion in 'Mini Quads & Racing' started by Dugdog47, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Dugdog47

Dugdog47 Well-Known Member

Okay here we go again with yet another "is the the right quad for me" thread but because new tariffs might jack up the price of Chinese imports the time to buy is right now.

I was thinking of getting this: 361b667f-9f10-424a-aa56-200366e3e719.jpg
    And adding this:
    SKU233735-6.jpg
    To bind to my Eachine i6 tx and a few of these:
    5626dc68-95b1-43c1-b2bf-409352732fa3.JPG
    To power the beast.

Some people on you tube seem to think the wizard is the bees knees, and everything about it checks all the boxes of what I'm looking for in my next bird.

Questions:
    1. Will everything I've listed here work together?

2. Is everything here worth the $160 or so I'll be dropping?

3. Is there anything else in this same price range (give or take $50) that would be a better buy.

Thanx in advance,
    your friend, Dugdog.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    roger jones likes this.
  2. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

Gyro Doctor likes this.
  3. Dugdog47

Awesome bro this is why I posted pictures. This forum rocks! Thanx again Jackson.

Also I was thinking about upgrading the camera to a runcam micro swift 2 because it had osd. Will this camera drop right in and work on the Wizard without issues?

4. Jackson

IDK, what are you going to use for FPV viewing? That would be my first step, some decent goggles and antenna upgrades.

5. Dugdog47

I'll be using a 7" lcd monitor with built in dvr. Possibly be upgrading to goggles but I want to try someone's out first to make sure I like them before buying.
    Upgrade both receiver and vtx antennas?

6. Jackson

Dugdog47 likes this.
  7. SLFLY

SLFLY Well-Known Member

It's not plug and play. The connectors for each camera are different. You will need to solder the wires included with the Runcam Swift to the PDB (+/-) and (S) to the VTX.

or cut and splice with the existing 3 wires.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    Dugdog47 likes this.
  8. Dugdog47

Okay you guys convinced me, the wizard has been ordered! I'll figure out the antenna issue when it gets here.

I read somewhere the wizard will top out at 50-60 mph right out of the box. Does that sound correct?

9. Islandhog

Islandhog Active Member

A friend just bought one so I got to fly it. The wizard is pretty fast for what it is. It also handles well when tuned. The only con is the 20 props that came with it, most looked warped. Still a good buy, I'm thinking of getting one too.

Dugdog47 likes this.
  10. Dugdog47

KentA and Spork like this.
  11. Dugdog47

Update with a question:

Alright alright alright my wizard has arrived! The receiver didn't make it yet though so I decided to check out some you tube vids on the set up.

I've noticed everyone on you tube saying to update betaflight. Mine says it has betaflight 2.9.1 version.

Is it really necessary to update the firmware? Will it really make a difference in flight performance?

Thanx in advance!

12. KentA

KentA Well-Known Member

Thank you.

Dugdog47 likes this.
  13. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Yes, you'll definitely want to upgrade if only to take advantage of dynamic filtering that was implemented in 3.0

Dugdog47 and Gyro Doctor like this.
  14. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

There was a lot of bad reviews on build quality @ first but imagine these have been ironed out. I bought the X220 frame & some emax RS. It ripped it did. IMG_20170513_192405222_HDR-1024x575-1024x575.jpg
    It's still rippin.

Dugdog47 likes this.
  15. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

For direct solderers out there I just got a bargain on ebay. IMG_20180411_130159-1024x575.jpg
    50m of each coloured silicone coated, pre tinned 30awg. For only £5.75 & a 9 day wait from China. 10m of 18awg & 14awg.
    On its way. Should keep me going for yonks.

KentA and Gyro Doctor like this.
  16. Dugdog47

Spork and KentA like this.
  17. Gyro Doctor

Gyro Doctor Electronics Tech for over 45 years

:rolleyes: ... Joshua Bardwell is one of my "Go To Guys" when it comes to any technical aspects of a subject.
    He explains things to a higher degree than a lot of other hosts do, which I like because I'm a techno-geek at heart myself too :cool:

GJH105775 and Dugdog47 like this.
  18. Spork

Spork There is no spoon

I vote on the awesome side for Joshua Bardwell. Same reasons as the Doc - not too many topics around quads that JB hasn't covered or regularly covers with updates.

Dugdog47 likes this.
  19. Islandhog

Islandhog Active Member

Yes Bardwell is a good source for quad info. I was gonna tell you about that video he did on the wizard but you found it. Now you can update BF and use his tune. He is big on tuning, I would use it, if I had a wizard

Dugdog47 likes this.
  20. Dugdog47

:cool:If it makes my quad fly great I don't care who I copy.:D