Drone randomly over flips when rolling

Discussion in 'Build & Tune' started by eleryfpv, Jun 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. eleryfpv

eleryfpv New Member

Hey guys/girls, first post here.

Recently built an Elf X2 with the HGLRC all-in-one flight contorller. flies great but whenever I do a roll, whenever i come out of it, it will randomly pitch forward a bit or over roll.

I can only assume that this is something wrong with the PIDs (D value may be?)

Unfortunately cannot post the link due to a new account!

Attached Files:

2. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! I think you're on the right track in thinking that you need to raise your D term some. I'm no expert on PID tuning but here's a little cheat sheet that should help you get a better tune. Hope it helps

#1 - Bounce back on rolls or flip. If the quad overshoot and then bounce back, Increases D for the affect axis.

#2 - If you are pitched and going forward and the angle of your pitch changes, Increase I on pitch. If the angle of the tilt is not holding, then increase I for roll.

#3 - Slow oscillations is too low P term

#4 - Punch throttle and cut. If there is movement then add anti-gravity gain.

#5 - If nose wanders without increase in throttle then increase I gain. Similar to #2

#6 - If nose wanders with throttle then increase anti-gravity gain

#7 - Propwash on hard turn. Increase D or Lower P. You will have to try it with both pitch and roll

#8 - Sliding out in turn. Increase Yaw I gain

#9 - Oscillations with high throttle only. Increase TPA

#10 - If you want a more robotic feel to your quad, Increase I for pitch and roll.

3. eleryfpv

eleryfpv New Member

Incredible, thanks so much for the advice, I will give this a go tomorrow and let you know!

Rick M likes this.
  4. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Your setpoint weight & transition could do with tweaking & your roll & pitch rates are very slow.
    Pitch & roll need to be around 1000degrees. Any slower it's going to fall out of it as speed combined with a faster roll makes it better.
    Mine is on 1037° bumping super rate up will give you a faster spin.
    Setpoint transition I would have at 0.5
    And setpoint weight at 1.

holtneil likes this.
  5. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Good advice from Moz especially dropping the setpoint weight but I'd do an update before you go any further. Your Configurator is 10.0, should be updated to Configurator 10.2. That's also an older firmware, I'd update to BF 3.3. I think you'll be surprised how much better your quad will fly just on default settings

6. mozquito1

In the past setpoint & transition where changed & after probably not flying for a few weeks in winter, and though this feels sluggish. & couldn't put my finger on it.
    I knew I hadn't changed settings just updated. Mr Bardwell done a recent video but it was RC addict who I learned about this & blue falcon about pid's, although I don't bother much except an initial on maiden.

7. eleryfpv

eleryfpv New Member

Thanks for your feedback guys, currently doing the updates..

8. eleryfpv

eleryfpv New Member

Thanks both, I had done all the suggest changes but nothing..! But I had one moment of brilliance/stupidty, totally forgot to calibrate my ESC's... flies like an absolute beaut!!!

9. mozquito1

Thing like that sticks in the head.
    You probably won't make that mistake again & you picked something else up on the way. Cool;)

Rick M likes this.