Drone question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Denis Napolitan, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Denis Napolitan

Denis Napolitan New Member

Is it possible to get addicted to these flying machines? The reason I ask is because I have never flown a drone in my entire life. Then I bought one three weeks ago. Now however, I am grounded and it's killing me. I have what you would probably refer to as a toy drone, which has one motor burned out. Nowhere can I find the specs for this tiny motor, not even from the company to find a replacement. I ordered a set of replacement motors for it but now I'm not sure they will work. I ordered the same size, an 8x20mm brushed coreless motor and later learned that even though these tiny motors may be the same size, they are not the same. I haven't got the motors in the mail yet, so it may work just fine. Hope so. Is there any way to find out exactly what kind of motor I have on my quadcopter?

2. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

What does that mean? You are talking in circles.
    And this toy drone is?

3. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Sorry, had to...........
    toy.jpg

4. Denis Napolitan

Denis Napolitan New Member

What I meant was I have seen many motors and even though the outside dimensions are the same, they are listed different. I know some are cw and ccw but are there other differences as well? The drone I have is something called Sky Viper v2400 streaming drone. Do replacement motors have to be specific to your drone?

5. LoneRCRanger

LoneRCRanger Well-Known Member

There's an old adage that states "you get what you pay for...". Whether or not the sport is addictive is all in your point of view. My quad copter is noted for crashing into every tree or bush it can find, regardless of the commands I give it from my controller. Does that mean that the flyer is addicted to bark, wood and foliage? Certainly I'm not addicted to that. In fact, I find the less I fly it, the less it crashes. Now, that's addictive.

6. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

For that model you will need motors meant to be geared (they will use a pinion gear) as opposed to direct drive (props attach to the main shaft). The geared motors will have lower KV.

[​IMG]

7. Wildwelder

Wildwelder Well-Known Member

Ive had alot of cheap "toy" quads just for fun and to tell the truth when they broke i bought another.( im talking $50 range). In my opinion the cheaper ones arent meant to be repaired. Sometimes they make it almost impossible. Great for practice though.

8. Doc Kazoo

Doc Kazoo Never Too Old To Fly

I started out with the $30 Nighthawk 007 small toy quadcopter and went through several of these "trainers" LOL. I did replace motors a couple times which was quite easy to do and only takes a few minutes. Lost a couple of these quads in the beginning by exceeding the maximum range. Which really helped me to visually recognize when reaching maximum range. At the price for this model quad as my first "trainer" I considered them expendable as I learned on my own with help of YouTube videos plus lots of trial and error. The Nighthawk came with four replacement motors. I found this to be a perfect beginners quadcopter and a really great trainer. I find this great hobby very addictive in a really good way. :)