Check out the frame I am building (quadcopter)

Discussion in 'Build & Tune' started by photojunky, Sep 5, 2016.

1. photojunky

photojunky Well-Known Member

Had a lot of left over parts from my first build so I decided to try to build one from scratch. So far so good.

2. photojunky

this is part 2. I will be adding the hardware and soldering soon

RENOV8R likes this.
  3. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Lookin' good so far. haha grown man building toys.........IT'S NOT A TOY.

DuaneM, mozquito1 and photojunky like this.
  4. photojunky

You're right, if it can chop off a finger or slice a throat, it is not a toy, not to mention earn a living for some, do search and rescue, or survey an area... It is not a toy.

mozquito1 likes this.
  5. mozquito1

mozquito1 i built a quad, & the damn thing flies.

Tell my wife that

DuaneM likes this.
  6. photojunky

Now that most of the pieces are in place, I am going to take it apart, use nylon bolts and loctite, then put it back together. Then I will start soldering the wire harness together. Any last minute advice is welcome.

DPP_1977.JPG DPP_1978.JPG DPP_1979.JPG DPP_1980.JPG DPP_1981.JPG

7. Teppler1

Teppler1 New Member

that is awesome! can't wait to see it finished and how it performs

photojunky likes this.
  8. photojunky

Well, everything was hooked up so I decided to try to hover it for a foot or so. Unfortunately, it turned into a upside down blender with 18 inch props. All Motors were rotating the right way and the compass and GPS for calibrated. My guess is, I have to program the ESC. The last one the ESC came programmed. I am waiting for a programmer from Amazon which should be here any day. I will post the video soon.

9. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Look on the bright side. If you can't figure it out, at least you've got the world's fastest lawnmower

Slam Jones, Wildwelder and photojunky like this.
  10. photojunky

I ended up taking apart the quad with all the screws and am in the process of building another one with the same materials but a different design. The screws on the design above kept on coming loose all the time, so this version will only use 4 screws and 4 zip ties. It is being held together with resin epoxy and gorilla glue.

The above design never flew, not because of the design, but because I did not calibrate the ESC's properly. That issue has been corrected. Even if it had flown, I would not have trusted it to fly camera equipment because of all the screws.

homemade#2.jpg

11. DuaneM

DuaneM Drone? I don't see any drone ... crap!

This brings me to the question ..... "How much is too much duc tape?"

No seriously, I'm going to be doing my first build soon ...

12. photojunky

I used duc tape as a form to keep the glue in place. I will be using 4 nuts and bolts total on this one and some zip ties as well.

13. photojunky

All the electronics should be here this week, (Naza M V2, Futaba receiver) and hopefully it will fly next weekend. This is my second design using the same carbon fiber parts. My first frame had over 30 nuts and bolts. This one only has about 8. I used a couple of zip ties for added support to make me feel better, and gorilla glue which initially held everything in place until I added the screws.

HM1.jpg HM2.jpg HM3.jpg

isaiahshutes77 and ringolong like this.
  14. photojunky

Oh yea! It flew... without crashing :) Check out my homemade quadcopter's first flight.

15. Wildwelder

Wildwelder Well-Known Member

Nice job. What size motors are you using with those 18"s? And I think you broke some kind of record on holding a teenage girls attention so long too!!!!

16. photojunky

They are Multistar 4114-320 but only 15 inch props. I didn't have any spare 17's.

As for my daughter, she's getting better. The previous flight she wanted me to land after 15 seconds of flying. In her defense, the Canon 70D weighs almost as much as she does.

17. Wildwelder

I have a 650 with emax 4008-380's with 15"s. Next step is camera/ gimbal and probably do a fpv setup also. My daughter is 23 Id love to teach her the hobby but her two kids take her time. Maybe my grandsons?....... im only 46 so theres time before I start losing it. Good luck with that creation of yours. Now all you need is a gatling gun on it!!

Attached Files:

18. photojunky

In these images, I placed one 17 inch prop over the 15-inch and it was real close to some of the wires. It will work with about three quarters of an inch of overlap. I'll have to tie down the wires real good. Don't want any high altitude catastrophic failures :) I am curious how it will fly with the larger props.

Attached Files:

19. photojunky

Wildwelder, very nice and clean quad. I'm a 15 year old trapped in 52 year old mans body. My daughter, 14, wants to learn to fly so she can make better vlogs. My wife does not care for my new found love of drones... Of course.

I think you saw the tarot 910 I built. That is the one I plan on putting the DSLR on. This homemeade thing may fall apart in mid-air so I am not willing to risk more than a gopro or two.

20. Wildwelder

Yup I saw the 910- very nice. And big! Its jist great your daughter wants to learn the hobby theres going to be so many careers in the very near future focusing on them. As far as wives go, they just dont get it; nor should they, they still havent mastered the automobile. Heehee. (And thanks for the kind words about my 650)

photojunky likes this.