Cerberus V3 by Flynoceros

Discussion in 'Build Logs' started by RENOV8R, Apr 17, 2018 at 5:33 PM.

1. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Having just finished the Cerberus V2, I was lucky enough to nab one of 30 prototype version Cerberus V3. OK this isn't just a V2 with a couple tweaks, it's a totally new design. The most obvious feature is the channels in the arms for the motor wires. Like all Flyno frames, the craftsmanship is amazing with all rounded edges and countersunk holes, and is designed to accept only a 20X20 flight controller and micro fpv camera. It's not the lightest frame on the market at 96 grams, but still not bad considering it's a full 250mm frame. I did have an issue with the motor wires not fitting in the channels and not able to go through the space in the frame but it was an easy fix with cutting a couple grooves in the small top plate. Not ideal but this is a prototype and Flyno is aware of the issue. Anyway, here's a parts list:

HGLRC F440 20X20 micro stack with F4 FC and whopping 40amp BLHeli_32ESCs https://www.racedayquads.com/collec...-controller-osd-40a-blheli_32-3-5s-esc-no-vtx

EMAX Lite Spec 2206 2550kv motors
    https://www.racedayquads.com/collec...ite-spec-ls2206-2550kv-racing-freestyle-motor

FRSky R-XSR Receiver
    https://www.racedayquads.com/collections/frsky/products/frsky-r-xsr-s-bus-micro-receiver

Runcam Eagle Micro FPV Camera
    https://www.getfpv.com/fpv/cameras/runcam-micro-eagle-800tvl-wdr-16-9-4-3-cmos-fpv-camera.html

IRC Tramp VTX
    https://www.getfpv.com/fpv/video-transmitters/immersionrc-tramp-hv-5-8ghz-video-tx-us-version.html

Here's where I'm at so far, still waiting on the camera and vtx 004.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG Cerb V3 001.JPG Ice V3 005.JPG Ice V3 006.JPG Ice V3 007.JPG

2. Dugdog47

Dugdog47 Well-Known Member

If I bought all these parts and had them shipped to your house would you solder everything together and send it to me?

3. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

I would, but I be flying it first,
    Like i stole it. :D

Dugdog47 and RENOV8R like this.
  4. RENOV8R

Sent you a PM!

5. Gyro Doctor

Gyro Doctor Electronics Tech for over 45 years

:eek: ... I'm LOVING everything about this build ! :)
    That flight stack is a great find, an F4 and D-Shot with 40 amps is just the ticket.
    The frame not only looks good, but also the fit and finish appears to be top-tier.
    A 4-gram 600mW VTX is something I've never even seen before.
    Those hand wound motors look cool too, will hafta check out their specs sometime.
    The only caveat I'd offer would be to favor a CCD cam over CMOS, using a RunCam Swift Micro instead. ;)

Top notch soldering job too btw (I'm impressed ... lol ...) :D
    Personally, I'd have ran the wires for the cap between the boards and had it laying centered fore or aft, but that's just nitpicking. :p

Keep us posted on you're progress, I'm setting aside some funds to follow this one myself !!

6. RENOV8R

Thanks for your comments GD, yes I'll definitely be moving the cap and possibly adding another as you can see below the USB port, there are points to add a cap on the 4-in-1 ESC. Or perhaps I'll just use one on the ESC and remove the one on the flight controller. I guess BB will tell me what I need to do. As for the camera, I really did look at the Micro Swift, but it was actually Oscar's review of the Micro Eagle that swayed my decision. Besides, the Swift doesn't come with the nice shiny red case like the Eagle does. BTW the Eagle has landed (arrived yesterday) and just another nice touch by Flyno as it fits perfectly in this frame and is well protected

Gyro Doctor likes this.
  7. mozquito1

I got a 1 gram 25mw-50mw tbs unify nano
    500m easy.

8. RENOV8R

Oooo that's sweet, must be new. Pretty amazing that such a small package still has smart audio. As it only requires 5v power, I'm thinking you'd have no problem connecting both this and a micro camera directly to the flight controller for a really clean look. Just ordered 2

9. Gyro Doctor

That IS nice !
    But the 50mW kills it for me. :(
    "More power Scotty !" ... "I canno captn the dilithium crystals are fracturing !" ... "Dammit man I need MORE POWER !" :p

10. RENOV8R

I'm thinking perfect for my 3" Japalura. It doesn't like to wander too far from home........

11. Gyro Doctor

I just read it and you're right.
    Seems odd to me that CCD is often touted as better than CMOS (lower latency, less subject to vibrations, faster environmental reactions, etc)
    at least in reviews I've seen (thanks Bruce and Josh ... lol ... ) yet Oscar seems to disagree .

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018 at 6:30 PM
  12. Gyro Doctor

Been looking at the Cerberus V2 5" Stretched X racer. :)
    I like it, not as much as the V3 though, but at $75 for just a frame that's pretty pricey. :confused:

13. RENOV8R

Yes, but it's basically bulletproof and has a lifetime warranty.

14. mozquito1

Apparently not, about a year old.
    Great for my park flyer.

15. mozquito1

Hey if I'm not going the park then I like to still take somthing Legal out with me.

1g vtx
    7g cam
    3g esc's blah blah

280g with lipo bit I got a nano 800mah 4s
    That gets it down to 240g but only 3 minute rip. But I have heavier quads I get just as much fun out of.
    Nice to have the good stuff but as long as I'm in the air I don't care. Summer is nearly here & everywhere is drying up.

16. RENOV8R

Bit of an update as I'm waiting for the canopy and VTX to arrive. I've moved the capacitor to the rear-centre as per Gyro Doctor's suggestion where it's more out of the way, and Micro Eagle is mounted and connected to the flight controller. I think this is the first fpv camera/frame combo that has fit perfectly with no tweaking.
    V3 APR23 004.JPG V3 APR23 008.JPG