Camera control - what methods?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Bill_L, Jan 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Bill_L

Bill_L New Member

Hi all
    I have built a quad based on an F450 from from ebay, and it's flying fine. The problem I'm having, is trying to work out a way of controlling the camera! I have a DJCAM SJ4000 on a 3 axis gimbal and have set it to live video over the USB port, and I can get a live feed back. I'm a bit stumped on how to get the live view and also control the camera functions to take photos/video.
    One method I've thought about and would be particular to this camera would be to use a Raspberry Pi Zero W to send the camera commands over wifi (after pairing with the camera) but connect to the flight controller through the Pi's GPIO pins and run a script on the Pi to read the pins, when the pins are triggered send the appropriate command to the camera. I believe there has already been something similar but using a full Pi.
    What kind of other setups are being used to get live view and camera control?

2. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

SJ4000 has wifi, you can connect it to your iPhone. That would be the easiest although you're probably not going to get much more than 100 metres range. Pretty sure I've seen DJCam app on the play store.

3. Bill_L

Bill_L New Member

Yeah, I've tried the app and the range isn't too great - far from ideal