Blade mQX RTF would like to upgrade

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by TheTechGuy, Mar 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. TheTechGuy

TheTechGuy Member

I have the default Blade mQX RTF, it was a gift from my dad and I love it.
    It is pretty difficult to maneuver even after extensive practice inside/outside( ~20 hours ), trim has always been an issue with the provided remote.

It would seem that real controllers can do so much more than the default Blade controller that comes with the unit, which I have found extremely hard to trim and or control correctly. ( only two options... High or Medium controls... )

Where can I find more information about remotes that will work with this unit? Can they be upgraded/future proof to FPV? I am really interested in expanding this venture.

Attached Files:

2. Badfish

Badfish JA.O.A.T.

That would be the "spektrum" logo on the box. Using the DSMX protocol. You can then use the same radio for multiple spektrum receivers.

3. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

FWIW those new to the hobby will always have problems, regardless of the controller. It takes a fair bit of practice to establish the 'muscle memory' and small precise movements needed. At first most everyone tends to overreact/panic.

4. TheTechGuy

TheTechGuy Member

So its been one month since I posted this.
    Appreciate the information I have tried to fly twice per week for about 20-30 minutes ( 2 batteries worth ) and have gotten much better.
    However, I still notice that when I have achieved a pretty decent hover and I take my hands away from the controls,
    the unit seems to 'pulse', but only sometimes. I can feel it happening when actively flying also, but only sometimes.
    It would seem the power or signal is inconsistent and the thrust goes up/down slightly, without touching anything.

Thoughts?

5. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

That's normal and the reason that it only happens sometime is that you are probably experiencing propwash. This can be particularly exaggerated if you are close to the ground. Contrary to popular belief, these things don't hover in one spot unless you have an onboard GPS system. As for the thrusting slightly up and down, this is quite common in DIY quad with a barometer that is exposed and can be influenced by wind. This can be fixed simply be putting a piece of foam over the barometer but in the case of a RTF like yours, there's not much you can do about it and I'd be surprised if it even has a baro.

6. TheTechGuy

TheTechGuy Member

Wanted to follow up, was flying today and ~25 minutes into flying (on my second battery) all of a sudden the quad completely stopped responding to control inputs, went straight up about 40 feet then the blades completely stopped spinning and fell straight down( this all happened within about 7-10 seconds ), I was pretty freaked out and nothing was responding so I shut off the remote after ~5 seconds. Few seconds after I did is when everything shut off and then it dropped. Thoughts? Something similar happened about a year ago, but I thought it was because it was pretty far from me. However this time it was maybe 20 feet from me when this happened. It reacted as if something hijacked/interfered/distorted the signal. Planning on going to some RC/QUAD meet ups to let other experienced people fly it and see what they think.

7. TheTechGuy

TheTechGuy Member

Another follow up: Figured out that the only times that the quad experiences this 'lag' between the controller and itself, the battery has been used a bit, what I mean is that it has never happened with a freshly charged battery, but only after being flown for a while(8-15 min flight time) and the battery is weaker.

Is there a way to check the battery strength under load?

8. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Please refer to page 4 of your manual:

Low Voltage Cutoff (LVC)

When a Li-Po battery is discharged below 3V, the battery may become damaged and may no longer accept a charge.

The mQX 4-in-1 control unit protects the flight battery from over-discharge using Low Voltage Cutoff (LVC). Before the

battery charge decreases too much, LVC becomes active. Power to the motors decrease and the LED on the 4-in-1

control unit blinks, showing some battery power is reserved for flight control and safe landing.

When the motor power decreases, please land the aircraft immediately and recharge the flight battery.

Disconnect and remove the Li-Po battery from the aircraft after use to prevent trickle discharge. During storage, make

sure the battery charge does not fall below 3V.

NOTICE: Repeated flying to LVC will damage the battery.

9. Ken Lopossa

Ken Lopossa New Member

Have a compete Minus plastic body, but flying, Blade mQX seel you for like $30 plus shipping. Can include a newer RTF controller for $10 more.