Back luck, or I'm an idiot!

Discussion in 'Flying' started by Mike, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Mike

Mike =) Admin

I tested out my new copter on Saturday and the throttle was too sensitive (linear curve), so I went to land after a few seconds in the air and flipped it over. It partially landed on a buddy's copter, so everyone ran to knock it out of the way. During the commotion, the throttle stick moved slightly and a prop hit my girlfriend's hand and cut it up pretty badly. Besides her hand, I had a couple of broken props and my low voltage sensor came apart.

I got everything buttoned back up the next day, but my motors didn't start spinning in sync any more. I realized my trims were off on my tx and thought maybe I ran through the cc3d wizard with them that way the first time, so I went to run through it again.

After that, I tested and still saw the same issue. With a little throttle, two motors spun nicely, but the other two didn't even look like they were trying to move. I gave it more throttle and they all spun up and I could hover, but it drifted noticeably to the side. I backed all the way off the throttle and turned off the tx (didn't disarm though).

Then I realized I should look at the trims on the tx one more time to verify they were still zeroed. As soon as I turned on the tx, the copter went full throttle straight into my ceiling. My finger was on top of the throttle sitck, holding it all the way off, so I know I didn't accidentally give it any throttle, and I damn sure didn't give it full throttle. I'm just glad all of my FPV equipment is still sitting in a box and wasn't on the copter.

Anyway, I'm going to regroup and rebuild and try to figure out what went wrong (luckily I bought an extra frame).

I learned some very valuable lessons this weekend the hard way:

-Make a habit of disarming the second you land.
    -Do ALL testing with the props off until you're sure everything is stable.
    -Most importantly - multirotors are EXTREMELY dangerous and should never be thought of as a toy (except when importing them through customs into the US).

Anyway, here are the pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Craig

Craig New Member

Dude, in all honesty I would say you have been lucky. Evaluate the risk next time you fly imagine if that incident had been a kids head. You clearly know these things a seriously dangerous.

Go out on your own in a big open area and practice, test, practice then test again, then do some more practicing.

The other thing to remember is these are chunks of plastic and metal, nothing more, risking life or limb to stop one crashing or damaging someone else's copter is not a good idea.

3. Mike

Mike =) Admin

I agree 100%. I definitely learned my lesson from those incidents. It's almost good that they happened because I'm extremely over-cautious now and have developed some very thorough safety habits. I also learned to not blindly trust that the software on commercial products is free of bugs. After putting everything back together and testing with the 9x with stock firmware, I learned that when the tx was turned on, it would give half throttle for a couple of seconds. I reflashed with er9x and that problem was resolved, but I tested it thoroughly without props before I was ever able to trust it again.

4. J Swall

J Swall Member

5. holtneil

holtneil Well-Known Member Moderator

HI mate you and your girlfriend are really lucky, the issue in doors was,the tx went into fail safe mode in a plane all servos bind into last position that the transmitter gave it , if it has GPS it was also trying to go home and that was its last GPS signal when is was last outside , BIG rule props off guys , i know this will sound strange but some times after a crash you need to reset everything esc throttle range too , loss of power and impact does strange thing to electronics ,also if a tiny bend in a motor shaft will make the motor tight at one point so more power needed to move the motor , so it does not spin up the same as the other do
    The ntm motor you have are very powerful motors i use them as well see as you have the 450 flame wheel hk is the cheapest £9 for the frame get 2 so you have spares , also while your fixing it i would move the receiver off the arm away from the ecs , the esc has a switching bec and can make interfearance with the rx , the plastic dome that goes over the fcb , will the rx stick inside the lid so its on top of the fcb but not touching , your get a good signal there and its protected too
    hope you get it fixed ok happy flying mate

6. Mike

Mike =) Admin

Yes we are! Lesson learned for sure!

I always buy spares! That's why I like the cheaper frame. I was initially teamed up with a buddy and we had the ntm motors on a QAV500. That crashed and the replacement parts were $100, so we split the rest of the parts up and I build a 450 flamewheel clone (from RC Timer). He went on to buy pancake motors and go all out on the rebuild of the QAV500. It's a nice copter.

I have since rebuilt and have gotten some good flights. I have all new FPV gear, but haven't put it on that copter yet. I just got the rest of my parts for my new build though. It's going to be a 450, but with lower kv motors and 10 inch props for some more stability. I also got a Naza M-Lite with GPS, so I'll have position lock, altitude hold, return to home, and all that good stuff. That will make me feel a bit more comfortable putting my FPV and GoPro on there. I've been very busy with work, so it might take me a couple of weeks to build it out. Once I do, I'll post pictures and hopefully videos soon. Also, it might take longer because I plan to write up a tutorial with the build.

Good advice on the RX. I didn't think of that. I'll definitely get it moved on the old 450. I can't get it on the arms on the new one with the 10 inch props, so that is good. I have landing gear with this one, so I might even be able to stick it underneath the bottom frame plate.

7. holtneil

holtneil Well-Known Member Moderator

HI MM my 450 flame wheel had the built in pcb and i got the fcb rx and escs all inside was hard work to pack it in but can be done , thats what upset me new 666 frame i could not hide the parts inside there was just enough room for pcb , my helis are the same all wire in side frame where possible
    The rx could be mounted on the back of the bottom plate so it is nearly inside

8. Flyhi

Flyhi Member

Had a blade 350 qx that lost control and hurt an elder lady, good think it was made of cheap material

9. Mike

Mike =) Admin

Yeah, this stuff is dangerous. That's why I stick to wide open spaces now and take a ton of precautions when it comes to my safety and the safety of the people that are with me when I'm flying.

10. Fishy Tree

Fishy Tree Yup, I wrecked again...

Quad went autonomous! left some "artwork" on the ceiling too I see :)

But seriously.. How the $%^# did you manage that!?

11. Mike

Mike =) Admin

Ha - it was two full years ago. I am a lot more careful now. I guess I just treated my quads like they were toys and not dangerous weapons back then.

12. Fishy Tree

Fishy Tree Yup, I wrecked again...

13. Mike

Mike =) Admin

Haha - I fixed it the next day. It's an old house, so it's all plaster. It was a pain in the ass to fix, but I rent the place, so I want my deposit back! The scar on my girlfriend's hand is the badge of honor. Haha. I think she said it's gone now though. It looked like there was going to be a permanent scar for at least a year afterward.