450 Build - GPS & Gimbal advice

Discussion in 'Build & Tune' started by BL Swagger, Apr 27, 2018.

1. BL Swagger

BL Swagger Well-Known Member

Hey everybody,

I plan on starting a 450 build. The difference with this build and my previous builds is that I want to add GPS and a gimbal supporting GoPro to the quad, so I am looking for help regarding those two areas. I have already ordered some of the parts regarding the build, so this is what I have so far:

I'm using these motors and ESC for now because its cheap.. (the ESC is an extra).
    I have not yet ordered anything gimbal related, yet.

From what I could gather so far, I planned on running iNav on the Omnibus F4 and using an M8N GPS module I found to wire to the Omnibus FC. My thoughts are the M8N module is inexpensive and iNAV is popular and provided a clean interface. I haven't put too much thought into what to buy for a 3-axis gimbal, yet. Before I get a GPS or gimbal, I would like to reach out to all of you for advice on what to buy.

What GPS module would you recommend?
    I am open to using a different flight controller if need.
    I can use another receiver too. I actually plan to use something with better range, but the Flysky is what I have for now.

Is there something other than iNAV that you would recommend for autopilot?
    I am interested in setting pre-determined flight paths.

What Gimbal would you recommend?

I have found cheap ones (non-name brand), but obviously I want a reliable one that I can take control of when I have autopilot enabled.

My goal is to build a quad exploring autopilot and GPS features. I hope I have provided enough information to start discussion. I am open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: May 15, 2018 at 6:34 PM
  2. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

3. BL Swagger

Thanks for the link. I figured I would need to upgrade the receiver sooner or later. That'll be a nice addition considering I plan to use the Flysky a bit longer.

4. BL Swagger

Bumping this thread hoping somebody has some gimbal advice!

P.S. I will start a build log soon, since I have never done one.

RedC likes this.