When do I get a new battery?

Discussion in 'Parts & Components' started by GyroDrone2.0, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Gyro Doctor

Gyro Doctor Electronics Tech for over 45 years

Getting a parallel charging board is another investment you do NOT want to skimp on.
    I'm generally against charging batteries this way (unless well experienced), but with a good board
    (DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT JUST USING A HARNESS) and knowing what you're doing it CAN be
    done safely and effectively. Primarily you want a board that has fuses between all the stations to isolate
    any "daisy chain" effects which can not only ruin otherwise good bats (the old adage "one bad apple spoils
    the whole bunch" definitely applies here) but also cause dangerous conditions like catastrophic failure (FIRE). :eek:

Just "ballparking" it, with the iMAX's 6 amp output charging 2200mAh Syma bats at 1C (2.2 A) it wouldn't even
    break a sweat doing two bats (in about an hour), and allowing the rate down to (<1C = 2A) would let you charge three
    at once and would take a little over an hour. :)

holtneil likes this.
  2. GyroDrone2.0

GyroDrone2.0 Well-Known Member

Good advice! Does the Imax B6 have all of that?

3. GyroDrone2.0

I see some batteries that say 25C, 30C, 20C what does that all mean? Which one should I get for my x8c?

4. Gyro Doctor

Gyro Doctor Electronics Tech for over 45 years

The iMAX B6AC is exactly what I was going by. But it's just the charger and a parallel charging board is a seperate item.
    The plain B6 requires a battery or hefty power supply to charge things in the house and is primarily for field use, it's also
    limited to a 5A output. If you want the convenience of also being able to just plug it into the wall too then you want the B6AC,
    which also has a slightly higher output rating of 6A. There's a "Version II'' of the B6AC that's larger and has the same power
    specs but can also be plugged into a computer (for reasons unknown to me at this time), but these things are quite computerised
    and programmable enough on their own if you ask me, so I don't know what use that would be unless you're so into battery performance
    and monitoring that you'd be making XLS charts for them or something. The VII also likely costs a bit more, so if you find a VI B6AC I'd grab it.

Those are the maximum discharge ratings for the batteries. The higher that number is the more current the battery will supply
    without being damaged. The "C" is a value that's multiplied by the mAh rating to tell you how many amps you can pull from it.
    For example: A 2200 mAh battery with a 20C rating is 2.2 Amps X 20 = 44 Amps. This means that the total draw on the battery
    from all four motors under full load at max throttle (plus the current drawn by the VTX, FC, RX, Cam, etc) should not exceed 44 amps.

5. Rick M

Rick M Absent-minded professor

The B6 Mini is also a good option, but you have to add an AC power supply - unlike the B6AC, it doesn't come with one.

6. GyroDrone2.0

Ok, thanks so much for all the help!

Will the X8c only draw the amount it needs? Should I get 20, 25, or 30C?

Can give me a list of all the thing you think I should get? Please include a link to each one.

7. GyroDrone2.0

I am sorry if I am asking to many questions.:oops: I just have never dealt with batteries and chargers and Cameras to mount on my drone.

I had my X8C for a year and I have never gotten any thing for it. I have been using the battery that came with it for a year!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

mozquito1 likes this.
  8. Rick M

You aren't asking too many questions - this is the right place for that sort of thing and most people here will be happy to help out. The current draw on that quad should be fine for a 20C battery. As a general rule, higher C ratings are preferable, but I'd be very surprised if 20C wouldn't handle the draw from those motors without any issue.

As long as you're having fun with it, you're doing it right. At some point you will have to replace batteries, and also motors. The motors aren't that daunting a task, and the process will be a good learning experience.

If you grab a (preferably genuine vs. a clone) iMax B6AC charger, some connectors and a couple of spare batteries you should be good to go. ALl of those things can be found on Amazon. You may save some money buying the charger at least from Banggood or Gearbest if you don't mind waiting for the "slow boat from China".

9. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Yes with a balance plate upto 6 Lipo's
    This is OK, IMO as long as you balance the lipos one @ a time now & again, so the cells are equal. Doing 6 @ a time is not that accurate on a plate. But it is safe.
    My adapter is 3A so that ain't much over 6 packs. But I do like to trickle instead of forcing it in. The b6 will discharge aswell.
    I don't leave em charged for more than 48hrs either & always storage charge when not in use 3.8v per cell.

10. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Any difference in flight time from then to now.

11. GyroDrone2.0

yeah! I was getting 13 minute flight times when I first got it But now I am only getting 6-7 minute flight times.

12. GyroDrone2.0

You guy have been really helping me a lot!! Thanks!

Now that I have learn some stuff I can go and help other people!!

How often should I replace my motors, and can I replace them with brushless motors?

Ok, I will definitely get all that!

13. GyroDrone2.0

Where do I get connectors? I have no idea which one to get?

14. Rick M

Here is an example for charging one battery at a time: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-Bull...7-4V-battery/272774605642?hash=item3f82a22b4a

If you go with a parallel charging board, you will need adapters from whatever the connection is on the charging board to banana plug. The charging board is likely to have either a Dean's "T" connector or an XT60 connector. Do Google searches on "Dean's T" and "XT60" and you will see examples.

15. GyroDrone2.0

Ok, thanks! So than there are connectors that plug in to the charger and then split off in to 3, 5, or 6 so I can charge more than one battery?

16. Rick M

Possibly, but you don't want to do it that way. Use a parallel charging board. Gyro Doc was right: you want one that uses fuses for each station. Google "parallel charging board" for examples. Also, this will make more sense once you see the B6 charger in person and see the balance charging connections on it.

Gyro Doctor likes this.
  17. Rick M

18. GyroDrone2.0

Oh, ok. I forgot that you told me that.

19. GyroDrone2.0

Which parallel charging board should I get?

20. GyroDrone2.0

You said I should get a fused parallel charging board, right?