What program is good for fpv?

Discussion in 'Flying' started by Jon_man14, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Jon_man14

Jon_man14 Member

I have the QAV LHI 250, I'm trying to get into fpv racing but crash to much to feel comfortable, what program would work to practice on?

2. holtneil

holtneil Well-Known Member Moderator

Hi mate that will depend on what transmitter you have spektrum or futaba this will work on Phoenix or realflight I use Phoenix the FPV is not bad
    One of the guys on here was talking about a new sim out thats ment to be really good so I hope he will add to this

3. Gyro Doctor

Gyro Doctor Electronics Tech for 45 years

... "FPV Freerider" isn't bad, but my favorite is "Liftoff".
    After some tuning you can almost exactly imitate the way your actual quad flies and get some REALLY good practice time in :)

holtneil likes this.
  4. MrkThMn

MrkThMn Member

Here's my feedback as a new pilot. I have been playing around with both Velocidrone, FPV Freerider Recharged and the DRL one the past week and have had fun with each of them. I find myself going to Velocidrone the most because of the way I can use my taranis to interact with the sim. I have my S1 and S2 buttons set to the camera angle and FOV so at any point and can reach down and change, to the degree, the angle of my FPV cam. I'm new to flying so I cant really compare it to real life flying but I'm learning with it so thats something. Freerider doesnt let you select flight modes like Velocidrone does but it has nice levels and i thought it was fun to fly with it. The DRL sim is hard for me. Its acro mode only and since I'm learning I find it incredibly difficult at the moment. It's free though so I'm not trippin about that.

5. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

You have a choice between Self-leveling and Acro. Acro is all any pilot will use for racing anyway.

6. MrkThMn

MrkThMn Member

You cut off the very part of my sentence that that matters regarding your point. I said, "Freerider doesnt let you select flight modes like Velocidrone does."

As you mentioned, Freerider lets you select Self leveling mode and Acro mode but Velocidrone lets you select between Acro mode, Horizon mode, and Angle mode. Acro may be "all any pilot will use for racing anyway" but when you are new you arent racing, you're just trying to learn. Acro mode is a whole lot to swallow when you dont know what you're doing. Having the 3 exact modes in Velocidrone that I have programed on my Taranis in real life allows me to step up my practice in the sim with the same settings I have in real life. That means I can practice Horizon mode in the sim then walk down to the park and use that same horizon mode to fly my real quad. Which is kinda the point of a simulator, right? To simulate real life without the risk? Not much help to practice one thing in a sim if its not what you're going to be using in real life. Hence why I like having the same modes of my Taranis in Velocidrone .

When I go acro Im gonna love ripping the levels in FPV Freerider Recharged but I'm simply not there yet. Actually, if you have have any tips on learning acro mode I will happily take them cause its proving to be a bear for me to pick up, haha.