Voltage regulators keep blowing up

Discussion in 'RTF Modification & Repair' started by kevino, Aug 8, 2017.

1. kevino

kevino New Member

Hello, I'm flying the RTF Eachine Racer 250 pro. I'm having issues with voltage regulators. I've gone through two PDBs with blown voltage regulators and just recently the voltage regulator on my vtx blew as well. Since then I have soldered a UBEC onto one of the PDBs to take the place of the old smd 7805 volt regulator and have been ok so far, but then the vtx one went as well. In all three cases this happened after a crash. I have had lots and lots of crashes, however the only thing that I can directly correlate to all three regulator failures is that in those three specific crashes the battery had become disconnected from the quad. I'm sure they disconnected before I could flip the arm switch as well. Do you think the battery being disconnected while under throttle has anything to do with this? Or is it something entirely different I"m overlooking? Thank you !

2. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

Couldn't you have fed them both from the UBEC?
    I don't think so.

3. kevino

kevino New Member

Ok thanks for the reply! The UBEC is set to 5V output. Is that what a vtx uses? The one I have is described as 600ma. When I hook up the 4S battery I measure the full 16.5 or so volts at the terminal on the PDB that feeds the vtx. As I understand it the vtxs have their own built in voltage regulators. Is the built in regulator for the vtx or the camera? thank you

4. GJH105775

GJH105775 Avid Linux User, and U.S. Air Force 1C6 Moderator

Define blowing out? Are you burning out the SMD regulator or just something in the circuit? We need to see what all you are pulling from them and how you are connecting them. You might be pulling too much, wiring
    them wrong or if you meant the SMD component you might have a problem somewhere else in the circuit or be using the wrong regulator.