UK gearing up to legislate

Discussion in 'Safety & Regulation' started by RJB, Mar 3, 2016.

1. RJB

RJB Active Member

Being an older part of this quad copter forum it seems that the ruling powers are going to force legislation either severely restricting or banning quads/drones in the UK.

As in the USA the media hype any minor incident and there seems to me, possible orchestrated 'incidents' especially around airports to bring to the attention of the public of this so called public nuisance which needs immediate legislation.

A cynic would further comment that the UK 'big brother' system does not want anyone to be in the sky filming other than 'Big Brother' himself!

Jackson likes this.
  2. MikeG

MikeG New Member

Hi,
    My first post on the forum so go gently. In the UK, I can pretty much categorically state that any legislation will take some time. There are hundreds of people applying for their Permit for Aerial Work EVERY MONTH. The guys at the CAA (Belgrano) are swamped, having a very small number of people to deal with all things drone. I am sat waiting for my PfAW after 7 weeks. No im not impressed but it was always going to happen. The CAA are not exactly geared up for change, and they self-regulate and try to save money wherever they can. Funny how they take the money from your card the day they get the application form!!

Anyway, it may be some way to go before we see strict regulation, but regulation in itself will be a worthwhile addition as long as it is done correctly, instead of the knee jerk reaction we see in some places.

We sit and watch in anticipation. :)

3. RJB

RJB Active Member

I feel you have missed my post a little. My cynicism was directed towards big brother being worried about having someone else up there watching.

mozquito1 likes this.
  4. mozquito1

mozquito1 Summer's over, where's my thumbless gloves

Damn right brother. The possibility's are endless. Watching dodgy cops & politicians. Just don't leave any dabs on it. Anyway Amazon & pizza Hut will be raining down spares for all soon.
    It wasn't me ociffer.

5. holtneil

holtneil Well-Known Member Moderator

Videos like this dont help but it just shows what damage a quad will do to a plane

6. Leanne

Leanne New Member

Unmanned Aircraft to be limited to 50m height by EASA. Please WATCH, SHARE and ACT! We have until Mid-October to make a difference.

7. mozquito1

What a Croc of poop. Flying acro @ 50m & below, omg. All businesses who sell the gear need to jump on this. Before they go out of business. What happened to the safe limit 400-500ft, will you be able to fly anywhere above 50m because some models like jets that fly 200+kph surely can't stick to this. I can't see my quad @200ft or 100m & don't go over this ever. I was out the other day in my Park & it was empty @ 7am when the local pork chopper(police helicopter) flew over then circled back over me & stopped me from flying as he was well below 400' so I yielded & landed & shook my first @ him then with 2 palms together opened them up & down as to say your altitude is low, he waved at me smiling, that's how low he was I could see him smirking. They then left. So will they soon be coming down to 50m & the ceiling height will be lower again so there is no more hobby.

8. mozquito1

I just spent 20mins looking on the CAA website & could not find anything on the subject. Could you please link to it or explain which section it is in.

9. holtneil

holtneil Well-Known Member Moderator

Hi guys we need to act on this in the uk please watch then sign the link is in the Video

10. mozquito1

More people die from car, bikes,plane accidents but they don't ban them.
    Funny how this hobby been around for years but soon as drones come on the scene they want to kill it. Politicians with stuff to hide is the real reason. Let's get rid of them.

GJH105775 and holtneil like this.
  11. Hi, I believe the drone hitting plane wing is just cgi.. There is a video of how somebody made it. Fake news, clickbait, very unhelpful of the maker..
    I'm thinking, robots and drones will be used by businesses around the world, the skies and streets will be full of them. Government IS business so they're gonna back it. So there's no stopping it.

They built skate/bmx tracks, I guess they'll set up drone tracks. And we do need the help and support from landowners and local councils to meet a genuine demand for places to fly and it'll be safer too.

I'm not worried about the future with drones, it's too big to ban, and too much fun to give up.

Fly safe, ken