1. NOTICE: We're currently noticing some EMAIL DELIVERY ISSUES to Outlook and Hotmail email addresses. If you're a new member and don't receive your confirmation email, feel free to reach out to us via the contact link at the bottom right of the page.
    Dismiss Notice

TRADS, LLC

Discussion in 'UAS Business Operation' started by Michael1970, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Michael1970

Michael1970 Member

Well I am about 2-3 months roughly from getting up and running with the sUAS business flying for a multitude of different businesses. I have to get contracts reviewed; set up the business structure; get the software to run the books, payroll taxes and writing checks.

It has been several months of planning and getting to the point we will be ready.

Anyone else up and running and what business structure did you register as with your SOS?

2. GJH105775

GJH105775 Avid Linux User, and U.S. Air Force 1C6 Moderator

Noticed there are no replies, hows it going with you now?
    Been wanting to get started, but my current position won't allow me a second job until a little down the road, so I can't take any actions that my leadership might see as moving toward another source of income.
    @ringolong
    @Long Range RC

3. ringolong

ringolong Well-Known Member

I currently have one local real estate client that is keeping me busy. I don't have any contracts with them, but I have thought about offering a percentage of the sale instead of a one time fee. I am still trying to get caught up on the list that they want filmed.

I am waiting to start a llc until I know that it will continue like this for longer than a few months.

Here is one of my completed videos

GJH105775 likes this.
  4. I am in the early stages of retiring from the USAF and would like to turn a hobby into a mini-career post retirement. I'd be open to hear of any words of wisdom you have to share or any recommendations you may have. From starting an LLC (do I need to) to pricing and focus areas within my community. Being the AF for 30 years is a far cry from starting a business like this...A bit overwhelmed.
    Thanks again!

DB
    TheGameColonel

5. ringolong

ringolong Well-Known Member

I still have not applied for an LLC. I am thinking sole proprietorship since it is much cheaper. I don't really do any flying that would be much of a liability risk.

I will warn you that this may destroy your love of the hobby. I currently only fly for profit, and cannot even remember the last time I flew for the fun of it :(

6. dragger201

dragger201 If it ain't broke, don't fix it??? You kidding?

Hey ringolong...........that's why I never mix my hobbies with business. And I NEVER look to gain anything when I get bored and quit a hobby..........I just pass the toys on to someone else............

ringolong and Rick M like this.
  7. Rick M

Rick M Absent-minded professor

Sadly, we hobbyists benefit immensely from people who try to turn their hobbies into a livelihood. Then they most often fail, and are replaced by others who try to do the same. I like what I do for a living (both things), but they're not hobbies, they're still my work. The idea of doing what you would do for free and earning a living is in 99.5% of cases a nasty fiction. Wish I was part of the .5%...lucky b***ards.

8. No livelihood plans for me just fun. Doing it a bit for profit increases my operational and technical skills I would imagine. Thanks for the LLC advice.
    I imagine after retirement I will be a little crazy without a bit of risk here and there.