The right to shoot down drones is now an official policy, so be warned if you attempt to fly on U.S.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ArmyVet, Aug 11, 2017.

1. ArmyVet

ArmyVet Well-Known Member

GJH105775 likes this.
  2. GJH105775

GJH105775 Avid Linux User, and U.S. Air Force 1C6 Moderator

Whether or not we had the FAA's approval we would have no problem shooting one down over our restricted airspace. Especially if we believe it to be a threat.

Chances are if you are flying near an airport without prior approval, over emergency response personnel (like a wild fire), or in restricted airspace then you are going to be putting your equipment at risk. More importantly you may be putting other people at risk and shouldn't fly there.

3. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

Count on some knucklehead wanting to be an exception for no other reason than his personal life revolves around being a technogeek, and can't comprehend that Society places limits on everyone's activities for a reason other than: "Just because"....

GJH105775 likes this.
  4. ArmyVet

Moot point, but the authorization came from the DOD not FAA.

"The Defense Department has formally given guidance to all U.S. military installations on how best to address drones they deem a threat — including shooting them down."

Bill

5. mozquito1

mozquito1 0.4mm from the plate. WTF.

That's fair doos, should be the same @ airports. As long as it only stays on them areas.

6. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

Can you translate that into English???

7. mozquito1

That is fine by me, shoot them down at airports aswell if you want.
    As long as it only them places.
    What am I talking about anyway, I'm a limey. My stupid ancestors give up guns years ago.

8. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

Apparently, the Ministry of Defence never got that memo. Judging by the armament displayed by the British Army, the Royal Navy, and the RAF....

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  9. mozquito1

10. rosco11

rosco11 Well-Known Member

Rofl, not news.

I am an air traffic controller by trade. Yes, you fly near an active airport, prison, military installation, or any other sensitive operation, being it rescue missions, power plants etc, you are not only subject to loosing your quad but quit possibly some very unpleasant attention from the military or local authorities.

The shoot it down ruling was for stupid people who tend to do stupid things made verbal. They never needed permission from the courts. It would have happened regardless.

People, use your heads. If you would rather not have stringent rules governing when and where you can fly, then do not make them necessary.

Chuck and ArmyVet like this.
  11. ArmyVet

Absolutely correct! Idiots ruin it for everyone else. It has happened in many hobbies and endeavors.
    Idiots screw up, the authorities react (usually over react and don't use common sense).

Then your yanking and banking days are over.

12. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

Since DOD will want to avoid media accusations of overkill, expect means ranging from shotguns and scoped sniper rifles, to signal jamming. I wouldn't be surprised if they use intruding drones as an opportunity to test low-powered energy weaponry such as lasers. The US military has used drones for target practice, going back at least to World War II.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  13. ArmyVet

I was not expecting "overkill" from the Air Force, no AC-130. Or AF explosives.

Now the Army, you have to look out for, nothing like a 120mm hi energy round to make a big boom and an impression............hehehe

Have fun
    Bill

14. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

I tend to suspect the Army and Marine Corps to be the ones with shotguns and sniper rifles. Considering that both would be looking for bragging rights between the two of them. You know: "One shot, one "kill"...."??? The Air Force and the Navy are more prone to be looking to test "geewhiz" solutions....

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  15. ArmyVet

upload_2017-8-13_15-29-4.jpeg

Hehehe

Bill

16. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

"Last time I checked, we all watched "Star Trek" as kids. Now we all want to fly rather than be confined to the ground....":D:D:DROFLMFAO!!!

ArmyVet likes this.
  17. ArmyVet

Careful when you say "ALL". I am older than "all".

When Star Trek came out, I was wearing OD green already. You were playing.......... haha.............and I got to fly some too. As a passenger.

Army Aircraft:
    Bell H-13 Sioux
    Cessna O-1 Bird Dog
    Bell UH-1 Iroquois
    Grumman OV-1 Mohawk

Air Force Aircraft

Lockheed C-130 Hercules

Not rolling, just smiling.........;)

Chuck likes this.
  18. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

I flew too, but as a crew member. Not as a passenger.
    Strategic Air Command
    28th Bombardment Wing (H)
    77th Bomb Squadron
    Boeing B-52G Stratofortress
    The green that I was wearing was a flight suit.;););)

19. QuadKid

QuadKid Noth'in Like a Flat Top

Chuck likes this.
  20. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

SAC mounted quad M2 Browning .50 Cal machine guns on the tail of B-52B-thru-G models, and 20 mm Gattling gun on the tail of H models. Use both on the AC-130's along with an anti-tank gun just for kicks.:D:D:D