Courtesy of another forum member got my hands on some big motors on a great deal and some other parts to try and put to use. Two months later now and I finally decided to just start buying parts since I know myself and once it's here can't stop myself from building.
Not there yet but feel like a good start for my first day, frame instructions were sort of garbage to non existent but with help of YouTube and just going with it I've gotten a good part of it assembled.
Also little test board I'm working on for getting the efficiency of things and to run some things to limits.
Yup it is pretty gigantic, had some trouble finding betaflight setup tutorial on it since so many regular quad ones out there but think I found the calc for setting up the mix correctly. Going to try using the GPS module and other things to get it to do waypoint flights, but props won't get here for like a month so there is going to be some waiting. Thinking I'll try 3D printing some big ones and see if it can possibly work with those on the test bench, also waiting on couple motors since one of the six I got from the other forum member had a bearing shot or something making noise at high RPM so I'll replace that one.
The Inav firmware has a pre-set choice of mixers you can pick from based on the size of your drone. The 10 inch selection worked pretty good on my 450 however I had to quit using Inav because the pre-flight checklist kept tripping not allowing the kwad to arm.
Gotcha yah looks like ardupilot had a similar configuration chooser thing, will be a while till props get here, coming on the slow boat from Shenzhen but will let you know how it goes, got a kakute F7 I'm trying to make work with it, curious to try out iNav and some other things with this too since I've been basically 100% betaflight from the start (once CC3D Naze build.. ran some other firmware but aside from that)
I ordered some 1355 according to ecalc.ch and other things I've been able to pull together about the 680 Pro frame these should fit but I have to wait like a month to find out so I'm 3D printing some half props as stand ins for now. Figure it will be a fun way to test out my little rig for seeing how much thrust I can get given some input power too. About the canopy it does look much nicer with it for sure, I may pick one up eventually but opportunity to print another thing too
It's going to be a tight fit for sure I tried with my printed props nice thing about them being in halves I can put one half on one motor and one half on the other and check distance it has about an inch of clearance and these are about 12.5" long so 13" will be cutting it close but saw somewhere stated compatibility with 1355 so hoping that spec sheet was right.
Got signal wires hooked up still need to do GND wires somewhere thinking just bundle them then jumper wire to a pad on a pdb I put in there to supplement the built in wiring on the frame.
Update the FC is hooked up now I went into betaflight and found the correct option in the configuration tab of the configurator (getting it running on Mac OS Catalina took some doing). There is a Hex+ option in the top left of the configuration page that I had just overlooked being a drop down, or it turned into one at some point, but anyway that looks like my build and shows 6 motor outputs on motors tab now so going with that for now.
So yay FC and receiver hooked up and transmitter is bound so now just need to finish screwing frame parts together hook up the motors and give them a test spin
The mmixer values from the calc linked earlier appeared to work as well in terms of motors showing enabled but it messed up the model previews whereas hex+ looks awesome.
Okay small update the receiver and FC seem to be all good but the signals to ESCs are wrong or something, I'm going to replace the ESCs since they were all used left overs from previous quad builds and not sure they all even speak the same protocol once I have some fresh ESCs in hand will replace those and check things out with blheli suite or worst case start probing around with a oscilloscope. As is seems like the ESCs are stuck in a "reboot loop" just playing startup tones over and over. I individually tested the motors and ESCs so know they are okay individually and no obvious shorts on signal lines or anything so will wait to replace and post again hopefully ready to fly then.
My best guess right now is I swapped a GND and signal connection on one of the ESCs or one of them might be shorted to GND but will post again if I figure out anything definitive for now back burner this project to finish some other things.