SYMA X8C Modifications thread.

Discussion in 'Build Logs' started by Mike H., Feb 28, 2016.

1. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

I ordered this model early this morning...Its power capabilities and size seem like a great start to get me into FPV and work on some video taking skills..I love my smaller quads but this one will have its own place for me.

As with most all models, ive checked out the videos and threads all over the internet and as usual i see some things i like and some i dont.

The very first thing i plan to do before i even power this quad up is balance the props....Un balanced props can wreck havoc to the motors and flight board and not to mention can yield a horrible video.

Dont expect this thread to be about adding brushless gimbals and dji landing skids and go pro cameras...As nice as all that sounds i feel the X8 is pushed beyond a point of efficiency and capability with all that fancy stuff added to it...Ill save all that for a hobby grade brushless quad with features that can save my investment.

The XK Detect 380 looks like a great candidate for that in the future. :)

2. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

Reserved

3. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

Reserved

4. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

Reserved

5. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

I finally have the X8C in my possession...The box was open but everything seems to be there...I have it assembled but i wont be flying this one until i make some preparations.

First the props will be balanced..they are way out of balance.

Secondly ,the motors will be pulled out and run inside a glass of warm soapy water to break in the brushes/comm at low voltage...This will leave a shiny and smooth commutator and also clean out any brush/commutator dust created in the process...the bushings will get a drop of oil and then will consider them ready to go.

One motor/gear assembly seems to be quite a bit more noisier then the other by just turning it by hand so, the gears and whatever else is involved will be checked and properly lubed as well as the props properly shimmed to the assembly.

I also ordered a kit from GearBest including 4 new motors..4 new gears...4 new gear housing assemblies...4 new (orange) props, landing gear and prop guards....I plan to use the orange props up front and orange landing skids up front to aid in daytime orientation.

Will be a while before i fly this one and then figure out what i can do to make it better.
    20160311_142301.jpg

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    Chuck likes this.
  6. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

Some bad news to report with the X8C..Took it out for its maiden voyage and it was doing great...Made a hard banked right turn and it goes down on it s own...No visual damage but it appears the flight board took a dump on me.

Neither rear motor spins fast enough to lift and the quad just tilts backwards..Sometimes one of the motors wont spin at all then all of a sudden it will..I tilted the quad in my hand but nothing makes a difference in motor speed on the rear motors....Did numerous re calibrations but nothing seems to work...The motors spin freely by hand as the fronts do but im thinking the board went bad.

I checked motor connections and the gear assemblies and it all appears to be ok...Guess ill be ordering a new flight board and replacing it.

7. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

That's too bad. I've noticed way too many similar posts on various forums.

8. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

Well i can honestly say this is the first RTF quad ive really had a problem with..All my other purchases i still havent even had to replace motors on..lol

It wont be too bad to repair..im glad its only like a $10.00-$12 board.

9. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

Maybe, maybe not. Another member here had similar problems (there is a long thread somewhere), changing the board didn't help.

10. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

Well, i have 4 motor gear assemblies and motors coming also to swap if needed and its not the radio as it still flys the x5 with no issues at all...Maybe my town secretly installed a quad zapper for non registered x8 models..lol

11. Don Fenyk

Don Fenyk Member

My flight controller would crap out at random times - sometimes mid flight resulting in summersalts to the ground. Some times one motor would not spin on start up and I could poke a finger in the battery compartment and slightly move the affected FET and all would be good for a while. Ordered a flight controller for $9 on ebay and swapped out the board- all is good now and i have had no issues at all. Overall, it is pretty straight forward to get to the flight controller - on the bottom side of the quad remove all screws - and lift off the bottom cover. (motors stay intact just have to unplug the motor wiring). 8 Soldered wires- +/- for each motor and 3 connectors ( front LEDs, Back LEDs and switch) (on mine they had hot glue that had to be pealed away).

My X8C was defective right out of the box but really did not have the option to return it since it was shipped from China. The old flight controller resulted in a bunch of crashes that were pretty dramatic but lucky for me no damage except a bent prop and needing to swap out two motors. With the new controller its flying great. This little quad is fun to fly. Next project just had its first flight this weekend - Hobbyking X650F /APM based.

12. Ryan79

Ryan79 Member

This Syma quadcopter looks fabulous.