Rookie Mistakes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Torc the Sinister, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Torc the Sinister

Torc the Sinister An inquisitive and barely enlightened RC newbie

Thought I would share my biggest one.

I started down the path to this hobby about two or so months ago with the purchase of a Sharper Image DX-2 stunt drone. I was curious on if and how to work on, modify or improve it, so I took it to my local RC hobby shop to ask questions - first rookie mistake. They had the fly it til it's dead, then get a better one mentality, made a quip about if it could even fly, then I was left to wander the shop.
    During my wanderings, I got talking to a guy that was there who helped by pointing out better options to look into, gave me some options, then he left.

When I left the guy I talked with was outside smoking and we struck up a conversation again and his tone changed as he was freer to speak his mind giving me more pieces of information and opinions. We exchanged numbers and a few days later he made a killer offer $250 for a moded Spektrum DX 6, Inductrix Pro, charging board and batteries.
    [​IMG]
    I didn't have that kind of money off the bat and thought taxes would be a good means to get it, then learned that would not be an option. I know now that this would have been useless because I didn't have a charging system, which he didn't clarify - Almost a rookie mistake.

So when I told him that I wasn't able to afford that at the time, he pointed me in the direction of the CX-30W. He sent me a link to a local and reputable company, Buddy RC and I did a search and found it cheaper, via Walmart Marketplace. I bought the drone, got the wrong thing and fought for a refund but did get to keep the drone, but no tx, only phone piloting.

The next rookie mistake came when I planned to back off from the hobby and got talked into buying another "great deal" from the guy in the way of a stripped down DIY quad for $25, needing a receiver and flight control.....oh and a transmitter.
    [​IMG]

That fired me back up and then we got onto the topic of needs, in order. Tx, Charging station, batteries, drone.

Let me briefly explain this guy, he and his wife make good money, and it shows in his extensive hanger, the ability to order things whenever he wants, without a second thought, and opts for higher end gear so that he doesn't have to worry about it going bad as quickly (which I understand and agree with.)

Me on the other hand? Shoestring budget and saving up as well as selling off old hobby items collecting dust and items made from another to get me off the ground in this one.

I decided, after much thought, that I needed to take a step back and slow down. So I purchased another CX30 (with tx this time), Freerider FPV and told the guy I was taking a step back so I can work my way up to better things. He called me short-sighted, making all the typical rookie mistakes and that I should just cancel the order and quit while I was ahead. When I explained to him my plan, he told me "good luck with that" and I haven't talked to him since.

Last night it hit me, that for all this guy's biggus dickus syndrome with how he was showing off to the new guy, he never once took the time to tell me anything really important a newbie NEEDS to know at the start, such as safety with lipo batteries (his setup is not following any safety guidelines.) I am learning these things from Youtube and websites. And this was my biggest rookie mistake, thinking that this guy was telling me what I needed to know.

Fortunate for me that I am an inquisitive person and in my quest to learn (not just buy and fly out the box type) I am learning those important things early before they become future mistakes.

roger jones likes this.
  2. holtneil

holtneil Well-Known Member Moderator

Hi mate welcome to the forum the photo of the drone with a broken prop is the flame wheel F450 i started with this quad great fun tough bugger too , looks as your has 1000 kv motors on it they are ok but have soft shafts in the motors so can bend in a crash ,on a 2200 mah 3cell battery and 10x4.5 props it used to fly for just under 15 minutes
    A great source of into is here or look at
    Rcmodlereviews and painless360 on YouTube

Torc the Sinister likes this.
  3. Torc the Sinister

The guy built it and flew it once, for about 20 mins. It was my first lesson in flight controls and what they do/can do when he had to make adjustments in the field to stabilize a shimmy that came up.

He gutting parts for a plane he bought and was going to mothball the rest since he is not a drone guy.

4. holtneil

Hi this was mine on its maiden flight sorry about voltage wife was trying to film it the touch down was due to the plastic props bending and not biting the air changed them to carbon and never had that happen again

5. Torc the Sinister

Nice! A better maiden flight than I filmed.

6. holtneil

That was not bad it was still in one piece , I have seen a lot worse one guy had one that flips on take off so his idea was to give it full throttle , well it was a mess at the end

7. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

You gotta get it higher up, too much turbulence/prop wash so close to the ground.

8. Torc the Sinister

He tried to get it higher but there was a shimmy that after a few seconds it would flip. Hense the pic of it having a broken prop when I bought it.

9. holtneil

Sounds like the p and I rates to high

10. roger jones

roger jones Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum @Torc the Sinister. Amusing read and pleased to see I am in good company.

11. Torc the Sinister

Thank you for the suggestions! I just started watching Painless360 and it has been a great learning experience.

12. holtneil

Brian is really good make it easy to understand Bruce on rcmodlereviews is great as well he is an electronics engineer so really good with strip down how it works videos

Spork likes this.
  13. Torc the Sinister

Thought I would post a few more of my rookie mistakes

I decided to stay at the micro level and looked into a QX95S

So, I moved to the next item on the list given to me by the earlier mentioned guy, charging station.

I bought a cheaper version of the iMAX B6 Mini 80W Digital DC Battery Balance Charger XT60 Plug from BangGood.

[​IMG]

Got the charger, no cables. Made my own 12V power plug from a power supply provided to me by the local phone company and tried to find a charging cable.

I sold the Flamewheel and decided to I was going to get this HTRC charger. I wasn't (am still not) fond of the batteries sitting on top of the charger instead of connected to a cable that can reach into a bunker but what the hel.
    [​IMG]

Except that someone posted a cable that would work with my existing charger for FAR less. So I went for that, an AIO F3 Pro Brushed flight controller and new props. The idea was to use the motors and frame from the CX-30 until I got better gear......

The cable came in and doesn't work with the batteries I have, the FC motor plugs are smaller than that of the motors and the props are half the size of the ones I needed. The good thing was that at least the batteries I have work with the FC that won't be flying.

I will be honest and say I was about to take the guy's advice from earlier tell the hobby to piss off and walk away because I was tired of trying to get into it, nickel and diming, only to get nothing out of it but useless things.

Then I won money from my dart league last night and with that, I bought a complete Eachine BAT QX105 (which will work with the upgraded FC I just bought), the HTRC charger, another couple sets of the right props and a pair of Eachine VR-007 Pro Goggles.

All of which I should have done a long time ago.

14. Rick M

Rick M Absent-minded professor

The B6 mini only comes with a 12v connector, but you can buy a 120v power supply cheap anywhere. It's a very standard item.

15. Torc the Sinister

Even if I did, the problem is that it cannot charge the existing batteries because they are the micro or microR plug (won't know likely until the new charger gets here.) but if and when I get a brushless it should be worth more than a paperweight.

16. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

What I use is another standard item. One of the many, old, ATX computer power supplies I got laying around. :)

mozquito1 likes this.
  17. Jeff Neese

Jeff Neese Well-Known Member

You never did say whatever happened to the Sharper Image DX-2.

My entry into the hobby was just about as low-end. I wasn't even looking to buy one but my local Radio Shack was having a going-out-of-business sale, and the "Dominator 2" was on sale for $40. I learned to fly it indoors and got hooked. Next was the (much, much better) Syma X5C-1, which I really learned to fly on, and from there it was an evolution. There's nothing wrong with toy-grade (brushed) quadcopters, but there are some crappy ones out there. The better ones are loads of fun, and I learned to fly acro on a Dromida Ominus and Blade 180QX. I've build a few Frankequads and that's fun too. My first brushless was the Bugs 3 and I haven't advanced beyond that. All that is to say that you don't need to spend a lot of money to have a blast in this hobby. I've just started flying FPV and the budget-friendly E800D is just fine.

On the charger. You'll end up purchasing more cables no matter what. Even the larger IMAX B6AC which plugs into the wall only comes with a basic set of cables but the expectation is that you'll purchase whatever kind of cables you need for your batteries. Every variation is available. I have three different charging boards, to accomodate my different batteries.

18. Torc the Sinister

I tried that and unfortunately, I messed up the process and bricked the power supply. There were a large number of matching wires I tried removing by unsoldering them and I think there was a bleed over onto another part.

19. Torc the Sinister

I burned out a motor and I did the typical thing most people who get those types will do, took it back and then put that money towards the CX-30. Bad form I now won't do.

20. Dugdog47

Dugdog47 Well-Known Member

While trying to bind my qx90 I fried the board so I installed a qx105 board with the 8520 brushed motors.

Man that thing really rips now although flying time is less and the motors get very hot.

Also soldered in a new eachine fpv cam with built in 200mW vtx. No more lost video whatsoever!

It's amazing the tiny powerful electronics that are available from China these days.

Stick with it, this hobby is a blast!

Torc the Sinister likes this.