Red Zone, NFZ, but flies???

Discussion in 'Commercial Rules & Regulation' started by ArcticFalcon, May 28, 2018.

1. ArcticFalcon

ArcticFalcon New Member

I tried to fly a phantom 4 at local outdoor event and discovered it was blocked due to the location being deemed a red zone due to the local missile defense field.

Months later, when I heard the local kids flying club was going to fly their quads at the same location, I was puzzled, so I attended. The meet was indoors.
    The drones all flew nicely stable, hovered well, indoors inside the gymnasium, inside the FEDERAL RED ZONE.

My question is how does the drone talk to GPS to locate itself, and hover, yet not realize it is within the RedZone? Puzzled???

2. KentA

KentA Well-Known Member

Perhaps the local kids were not flying DJI drones with all their firmware imposed flight restrictions.

mozquito1 likes this.
  3. ArcticFalcon

ArcticFalcon New Member

There were p4 and one new Mavic, first flight cruising around plus some little toy things too.

4. RedC

RedC New Member

That sounds weird,

My first guess would be that, flying indoors, the drones couldn’t connect to gps, I’ve flown my spark before without gps and it still hovers fine.

5. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Dji take all the fun out of flying.
    GPS dance is a pain off the bat.
    Only to realise you can't fly :mad:.
    Even long after those installations are decommissioned. Take the GPS out & fly barebones.

ArcticFalcon likes this.
  6. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

The dance only takes 30 seconds and you very seldom have to do it.

7. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

30 seconds erm I have a reputation to uphold. :cool:

Spork likes this.