holtneil

SamK

GJH105775

Off and on

SamK

holtneil

S

Samuel

Okay, a small update. After a lot of thinking and comparing I am quite sure that the Quanum Nova/Cheerson CX-20 is the way to go. It does everything that is needed (autonomous flying, ability to go high enough up in the air (though changing the antenna might be necessary to get up to 500m), decent safeguards, gps-positioning, open source control systems) for a lot less money than the rest. However, I'll admit that I haven't found too many alternatives, the only other true ones I found being the phantom (more expensive, proprietary parts and control systems) and the Iris+ (almost universally lauded as an advanced drone, a poor choice for complete beginners).

However, even though the Cheerson CX-20 is "easy" to control the general consensus is that drones of that size are not what you should get as your first quadcopter. Using it fully autonomously is not an option but on the other hand my supervisor has shown some skepticism in buying another quadcopter, cheaper as it may be. So before that happens I want to get confirmation that it is necessary to buy and learn on a toy-grade quadcopter before touching the larger one. Also he has been skeptical of the fact that the toy-grade quadcopters got similar flying properties as the full-sized one.

With that said I also would appreciate a bit of help in putting together a beginner kit. Here is what I am thinking of putting together; a FY326 Q7 quadcopter with prop guards (bought separately), 4 blades, 4 motors and a 5 pack of 3.7V 700 mAh lipo batteries as spare parts. Something I'm not so sure about is a battery charger; I've heard that, at least when it comes to larger multicell LiPo:s, a proper charger is necessary. I've heard the batteries have a tendency to unbalance themselves, making a balancing feature useful, and that a charger that can sense the voltage is almost a necessity, as is a feature to charge to storage voltage. It would be great of the charger would be able to charge both the FY326's and the CX-20's/Quanum's batteries as well.

So what I'm essentially wondering is if I got too much of something, or if there is anything I missed that I would need? I would hate to use research money for something that is unnecessary especially when it could so easily be construed that I use it to buy toys, or conversely break something or lose time by not buying something that was needed.

PS: Anyone out there flying quadcopters in Finland? Finding someone local into the hobby who is willing to help could be highly helpful, but my search has been wholly unsuccessful thus far, so although it's a long shot I figured I could ask here.

Edit: Oh yeah, I'm the same person as the threadmaker. I made two different accounts as the first one I had trouble registering with initially, but later the registration was approved, and I accidentally made this post on the wrong account. Oops.

Last edited by a moderator:

holtneil

SamK

Last edited by a moderator:

holtneil

SamK